Rumor: Rumours and proposals we are looking for a 3C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall's never coming back, nor should he. The Oilers decided scoring wingers weren't important and cast him, Eberle, and Maroon out to sea.

Probably not, but if Chia was gone and McDavid called him and said "look I need your help, everyone wants you back" ... maaaaaaaaybe. Though I think after living a few years in the New York area he's probably over the whole fishbowl that is Edmonton.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Also could you imagine our Defence would be without the Larsson trade? Our defence would be

Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Gravel

Klefbom would be sucking it hard at 1st pairing because he'd be busy saving Russell's defensive blunders all the time. At least with Larsson, Klefbom could be a bit more adventurous with the puck and not worry too much on defence. We'd be chasing Klefbom out of the arena much faster than we are now.

I don't have to imagine that McDavid is on pace for 117 points and Drai for 92 and the team is still garbage because there's nothing else.

Reactions: Matt19Oilers

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Hall's never coming back, nor should he. The Oilers decided scoring wingers weren't important and cast him, Eberle, and Maroon out to sea.

I agree. I hate the trade, but since it happened, for his sake I'm sure he'll stay away. He has no reason to want to play for this franchise again. They failed him very badly.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
what's a 34 point Nuge going to return?

face it, the stink of failure was on all these players and anyone to thinks they're going to return something significant is overrating the Oiler players

RNH has always been kind of a disappointment. It's just Yakupov was a 10x bigger failure, lol.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At the very least we have to be calling on Maroon right now. Has a NTC, but I think you have to see what is up.

If he's willing and you can get him for decent deal you do it. He's someone that you hopefully could lock up longterm.

Not like it's a guarantee STL is going to work for him in 19-20 anyway

space321

May 11, 2011
Oh boy, looking for a 3c? Better bring up Hall again!

Oh boy, GM dismantle the team for spare parts and we have more holes now than we did in 2015? Better forget about how bad our GM is and just have some blind optimism for the future!

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Obviously your look at bad attitude is different than what I am saying. He's got a bad attitude because of how he played and wanted to be the key player. He was always about himself and not the team. He didn't have the mentors that NJ had to teach him the proper way of playing the game, leading him to a Hart Trophy. He has learned a lot more in NJ than he ever could in Edmonton. That being said, trying to label him like he'd be the same player here as he is in NJ is absurd. The chemistry didn't work with him and McDavid and we know he wants to be the driver, not the passenger. So don't know why it's that difficult to understand.

Wanting to be a key player is a bad attitude? He plays the same way now that he does in New Jersey. The difference is that the organization employs smart hockey people that actually said what needed to be said to him, given how rough the first 7 years of Hall's career were from a team success standpoint. It needed to be said because nobody in the Oilers organization had ever even tried to do anything like that - there was no such communication to Hall from management, and there was no competent roster building. If the roster had been built properly, nothing would have needed to be said to Hall, because he'd be a great player on a great team, rather than a great player on a shitty team. Hall and McDavid could've co-existed on separate forward lines. Hall wants to win hockey games more than he wants to be the team's scoring leader. Even if he never scored 90+ points here (he probably wouldn't, for the simple fact that the offensive load would be split between him and McDavid, instead of him having to do everything), I have no doubt that he could give us 70-80 points consistently, and solidify an actual, legitimate 2nd line.

Don't know why this is difficult to understand.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Again: playing the "wrong way" only had Hall outscoring the opposition on a regular basis. I don't know if you think there's extra points awarded for style or being a nice guy in the room but I assure you there are not.

as one of the better players of course playing the wrong way affects the team... heck even if you're a plugger playing the wrong way affects the team. you have to have everyone buy in and play the right way. no exceptions. hitch said it best... when you don't have the puck you play "my way". no exceptions. dosn't matter if you "outproduce" the opposition... you set an example and you cohere to team concepts. you don't put yourself above the team and take shortcuts just because you produce better. that's CULTURE. team cohesiveness and togetherness. no putting yourself above the rest. this is what you don't get. you take out all these intangible dynamics and simplify it to "o he produces his fair share and outscores opponents so that's good enough".... NO. you'll have build losing teams that way.... teams that would struggle to get anywhere in the playoffs if they even make it.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
what's a 34 point Nuge going to return?

face it, the stink of failure was on all these players and anyone to thinks they're going to return something significant is overrating the Oiler players

Right, because
1) RNH's 34 point, injury plagued season would be the only thing a GM would evaluate, not the 2x 56 point seasons right before that.
2) it's impossible to add other picks/prospects into any potential trade, it has to be 1 for 1 (are you Peter Chiarelli?)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
as one of the better players of course playing the wrong way affects the team... heck even if you're a plugger playing the wrong way affects the team. you have to have everyone buy in and play the right way. no exceptions. hitch said it best... when you don't have the puck you play "my way". no exceptions. dosn't matter if you "outproduce" the opposition... you set an example and you cohere to team concepts. you don't put yourself above the team and take shortcuts just because you produce better. that's CULTURE. team cohesiveness and togetherness. no putting yourself above the rest. this is what you don't get. you take out all these intangible dynamics and simplify it to "o he produces his fair share and outscores opponents so that's good enough".... NO. you'll have build losing teams that way.... teams that would struggle to get anywhere in the playoffs if they even make it.

Sorry, but culture doesn't win games, outscoring does.

Reactions: Matt19Oilers

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
course not, but I'm not fawning over the good old days when Hallsy, Ebs, Nuge and Schultz were leading this team to....nowhere

So it's impossible to have a good team with Hall and McDavid on it then? Good thing you don't work in hockey operations.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Wanting to be a key player is a bad attitude? He plays the same way now that he does in New Jersey. The difference is that the organization employs smart hockey people that actually said what needed to be said to him, given how rough the first 7 years of Hall's career were from a team success standpoint.
NJ is smart? they're terrible this year and 2 years ago when Hall arrived and scored 53 points

they...like the Oilers...are finding out last year was an anomaly

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Every time I think of Hall on the Oilers, I think of the Oilers going back to run and gun junior hockey.

absolutely. will cheat to get his fair share of points but also sets the tone as far as the loosey gooseyness of the team play. works great in jr if you're a superior player but doesn't fly in the nhl as far as entrenching winning habits on ice.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
At the very least we have to be calling on Maroon right now. Has a NTC, but I think you have to see what is up.

If he's willing and you can get him for decent deal you do it. He's someone that you hopefully could lock up longterm.

Not like it's a guarantee STL is going to work for him in 19-20 anyway

Eh, why? Even if he just costs a late pick he's not a long term solution. Keep the bullets in the chamber.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So it's impossible to have a good team with Hall and McDavid on it then? Good thing you don't work in hockey operations.
when did I say both couldn't co-exist?

I'm laughing at these people who miss the days of "run and gun" hockey...like the Oilers from 2010-2016 were some sort of offensive juggernaught

they were terrible in all areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad