Rumor: Rumours and proposals we are looking for a 3C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Here's a reality this board is gonna have to accept ... we are gonna have to add a $8-$10 million forward at some point to this group.

This garbage as is isn't gonna work and double shifting McDavid like they are is not only embarrassing but bound to burn him out.

That's gonna be the price for any really good forward going ahead. You dump crap like Lucic, Sekera, Spooner, Kassian, Talbot if you have to, it's just as simple as that.

We're entering a new NHL era too IMO, one that is more offence first. Just like the late 70s/80s shifted the style of game, things don't remain static in the NHL.
Yes, at some point. Hall is not that player. Panarin is more likely to sign here than Hall would.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No way Philly does that. Not even if that pick is a 1st.

Philly upper management heard the rumour of Talbot to Flyers . They then fired their GM for even thinking about trading for Talbot . His stats matches the eyeball test . He damn bad . What’s that ,about 78 players we broke now ?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Hall (or a similar tier player) was willing to come here for 10, you sign that deal and trade whatever you have to.

Lucic for Alzner

Puljujarvi + Sekera

Buy-out Spooner.

Trade Kassian

All this stuff is mostly junk that has to go anyway.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
he'd be the third best point producing forward here. but again, i'm weary of his "baggage" and whether he'd want to play the right way consistently.

Ya, if they played Draisaitl and McDavid together he would be the 3rd most productive, which is completely reasonable. I still consider him a significantly better player than Draisaitl though. Plus, Hall and Draisaitl had chemistry - RNH + McDavid and Hall + Draisaitl would've been the best look for a viable top 6 on this team anyway.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He would be the 3rd best behind Draisaitl IMO. Hall is stubborn. He would not want to be in the shadow of McDavid and Draisaitl. How is that not hard to believe?

I like Drai, but he can't generate shit on his own. Hall is averaging about the same PPG as Draisaitl but doesn't need McDavid to spoon feed him everything. He's a better player.

Draisaitl would have 50-60 points maybe if he had to play without McDavid.

Reactions: Matt19Oilers

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
He would be the 3rd best behind Draisaitl IMO. Hall is stubborn. He would not want to be in the shadow of McDavid and Draisaitl. How is that not hard to believe?

I still consider him a significantly better player than Draisaitl. He can manufacture scoring chances on his own - something that Leon has been inconsistent at doing for his entire career thus far. Plus, Hall and Draisaitl had chemistry - RNH + McDavid and Hall + Draisaitl would've been the best look for a viable top 6 on this team anyway.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
he'd be the third best point producing forward here. but again, i'm weary of his "baggage" and whether he'd want to play the right way consistently.

Again: playing the "wrong way" only had Hall outscoring the opposition on a regular basis. I don't know if you think there's extra points awarded for style or being a nice guy in the room but I assure you there are not.

Reactions: Matt19Oilers

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Every time I think of Hall on the Oilers, I think of the Oilers going back to run and gun junior hockey.

Reactions: HK97

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I still consider him a significantly better player than Draisaitl though. Plus, Hall and Draisaitl had chemistry - RNH + McDavid and Hall + Draisaitl would've been the best look for a viable top 6 on this team anyway.

No it wouldn't. Don't you remember Halls interview after the trade and playing in NJ? he said he wasnt in the right mindset and had to learn how to play hockey again. His attitude was what was keeping him from reaching the top. If he'd have stayed here, he wouldn't have ever figured that out.

Reactions: HK97

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Every time I think of Hall on the Oilers, I think of the Oilers going back to run and gun junior hockey.

Which is where the NHL is going. Watch a lot of teams now, that's how the play stylistically.

The whole nonsense of "we're up 2-1 in the 2nd period, time to shut it down and grind it out until we can score on an empty net" is not how the NHL works anymore.

You sit on a lead now and you're get your ass blown off the toilet. As has happened to the Oilers multiple times this year. Thinking they could win with 2 goals. Teams take more chances and attack more relentlessly now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No it wouldn't. Don't you remember Halls interview after the trade and playing in NJ? he said he wasnt in the right mindset and had to learn how to play hockey again. His attitude was what was keeping him from reaching the top. If he'd have stayed here, he wouldn't have ever figured that out.

We don't need him to win a freaking Hart trophy here.

Hall-Draisaitl-Kim Kardashian

Is a better 2nd line than any combination the Oilers have had for the last 10 years and much better than the train wreck we have right now. That's all he needed to do was give us multi-line offence like the Leafs, Jets, heck even the Flames have.

These teams are winning games because they have multiple line offence. This team doesn't have that. You can't win in the new NHL playing dumb ass 2010-era hockey, ask the LA Kings.

space321

May 11, 2011

Every time I look at Larsson, I see a mediocre defenseman who can't shoot, barely pass, and is prone to be caught out of position and take lazy penalties because of it.

Then I look around and see Lucic, and I see a washed up "power forward" who handles the puck like a grenade, can barely skate, can only shoot pucks into opposing goalies' chest, and is also prone to taking Pejorative Slured penalties because he likes to complain if he gets hit. 5 more years of that btw.

I miss "run and gun junior hockey". With McDavid and Draisaitl I daresay we win more games playing run and gun than whatever defensive system this team is currently trying to employ.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

No, being surrounded with one of the worst rosters in NHL history kept Hall from being able to help the Oilers accomplish anything. It's funny how the players that get knocked for having a bad attitude, always seem to play on bad teams that lack talent overall. It's almost as if lack of talent = losing a lot = bad attitudes and excess of talent = winning a lot = good attitudes. If the Oilers rebuild with Hall, RNH, Eberle had been done properly, I guarantee there would be no bitching about Hall's attitude, because the team would be winning games and people wouldn't construct these ridiculous narratives about what's wrong with the team "chemistry"/"culture".

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Also could you imagine our Defence would be without the Larsson trade? Our defence would be

Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Gravel

Klefbom would be sucking it hard at 1st pairing because he'd be busy saving Russell's defensive blunders all the time. At least with Larsson, Klefbom could be a bit more adventurous with the puck and not worry too much on defence. We'd be chasing Klefbom out of the arena much faster than we are now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Also could you imagine our Defence would be without the Larsson trade? Our defence would be

Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Gravel

Klefbom would be sucking it hard at 1st pairing because he'd be busy saving Russell's defensive blunders all the time. At least with Larsson, Klefbom could be a bit more adventurous with the puck and not worry too much on defence. We'd be chasing Klefbom out of the arena much faster than we are now.

I honestly don't think the net result would be that different.

They allow basically the same 3 goals against today as they did 3 years ago. Nothing much has changed. This is never going to be a defensive powerhouse team, trying to build that way especially when you have no clear cut no.1 D-Man to anchor the group with, was always a stupid plan.

space321

May 11, 2011

Figure out what? Taylor Hall averaged 28g 42a during his entire Oilers tenure. That is including his rookie and injury plagued seasons. That is him playing at a 70 point pace with zero PMD to help. If that's what we had in Taylor Hall then so be it, I don't care if he ever figured it out, he'd still be more positive contributor than either Larsson or Lucic.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Gravel

Ya, because it would've been impossible to trade RNH or Eberle for a defensive upgrade, and sign a free agent along the way...

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
No, being surrounded with one of the worst rosters in NHL history kept Hall from being able to help the Oilers accomplish anything. It's funny how the players that get knocked for having a bad attitude, always seem to play on bad teams that lack talent overall. It's almost as if lack of talent = losing a lot = bad attitudes and excess of talent = winning a lot = good attitude.

Obviously your look at bad attitude is different than what I am saying. He's got a bad attitude because of how he played and wanted to be the key player. He was always about himself and not the team. He didn't have the mentors that NJ had to teach him the proper way of playing the game, leading him to a Hart Trophy. He has learned a lot more in NJ than he ever could in Edmonton. That being said, trying to label him like he'd be the same player here as he is in NJ is absurd. The chemistry didn't work with him and McDavid and we know he wants to be the driver, not the passenger. So don't know why it's that difficult to understand.

space321

May 11, 2011

Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Gravel

Good thing our defense has tighted up lately eh? Oh wait, we're bottom 3rd in the league in goals against. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad