Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: What the **** is next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again...that is your opinion and I am not sure what you are basing it on.

His 2016/17 season in the AHL was a struggle which is not unusual for a Euro playing in NA for the first time.
His next season in 2017/18 was much better.
3 points in 28 games, worst plus minus on his team playing bottom pairing minutes. In the shl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Cloned...an appeal to authority is a position that states that because you are not qualified in a traditional sense (usually involving educational certifications) or have valid experience in a particular vocation then your opinion has no credibility. For the 3rd time...I have not done that with you or anybody else.

I also never said that because Hitch is invloved then these moves must be good. I said that i trust Hitchs judgement in terms of which players are liabilities on this team. I am not saying he is right...I am merely letting things play out and seeing what the outcome is...confident that Hitch has a good sense of player contributions at both ends of the ice.

As for the rest of what you said....all of this is speculation for the most part. Your claims that Norell wont be coming back to NA...guess what thats pure speculation.
The difference is how much supporting evidence we have behind our positions. You have little to no supporting evidence that Norell wont be coming back to NA but taking that stance supports your narrative that these deals are all bad.

So...not only do I disagree with you I am also suggesting that you are misrepresenting our discussion in a big way.

An appeal to authority can also use a supposed expert opinion (in this case Hitch's) to form a larger basis for dismissing another opinion (in this case the opinion of most of this board). I'm not saying that that isn't necessarily valid - it can be, but it shouldn't be the entire basis of the argument either. You're speculating just as much (if not more) about this entire situation than I am. There is no actual evidence that Hitch's opinion was consulted here to form the driving rationale behind the trade, or that if he was, that he actually has any special knowledge about the players coming in. The only reason you're using that narrative is to try and make your opinion look more credible and the rest of the board's opinion look less credible - which again, is an appeal to authority.

To be quite honest, even if Norell does come over, the chances of him ever being even a NHL 7/8 defender are slim at this point.

I'm just calling it as I see it. You can represent the majority of this board's arguments as being bathed in anger and angst, and you would be right, but that doesn't mean the actual logic behind those arguments is flawed. People can be capable of expressing both reason and emotion simultaneously.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
An appeal to authority can also use a supposed expert opinion (in this case Hitch's) to form a larger basis for dismissing another opinion (in this case the opinion of most of this board). I'm not saying that that isn't necessarily valid - it can be, but it shouldn't be the entire basis of the argument either. You're speculating just as much (if not more) about this entire situation than I am. There is no actual evidence that Hitch's opinion was consulted here to form the driving rationale behind the trade, or that if he was, that he actually has any special knowledge about the players coming in. The only reason you're using that narrative is to try and make your opinion look more credible and the rest of the board's opinion look less credible - which again, is an appeal to authority.

I'm just calling it as I see it. You can represent the majority of this board's arguments as being bathed in anger and angst, and you would be right, but that doesn't mean the actual logic behind those arguments is flawed. People can be capable of expressing both reason and emotion simultaneously.

Nonsense....show me where i did that. You are making s**t up Cloned because you are trying to support your narrative.
Its disappointing to see this from you.

My questioning of the hive mind had everything to do with the vitriol and emotional nonsense.

If you are going to spend so much effort in trying to represent my position at least you can spend a moment getting it right.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
How long until we see Nurse for Connor ****ing Brown?

Just do it already Chia.... Put us out of our misery you ****ing ********

Yes please......

In all seriousness, how can any Oilers fans not expect McJesus ask for a trade. He won’t because he is a good Canadian kid but I would be *#%k this GM if I am McJesus. Clown shoes is all I have to say.

When you think of al the bungled moves from picks:
Yak over Reilly, Lindhom or Dumba
Poolparty over Tkachuk

The trades:
Larsson for Hall
Eberle for Strome
Reinhard for Barzal and Beauvillier

The signing:
Lucic 7x6

Complete incompetence

Reactions: 780il and KYams17

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Really? I actually kind of assumed Spooner's time here was up.
You can't make it up in the sense that the Oilers downgraded from Strome to Spooner and now... 6 weeks later are trying to unload him but can't find any takers.

Chiarelli continues to dismantle this roster while simultaneously adding on extra useless cap. This idiot keeps trading for players who have lost their jobs with their current team thinking that we'll be able to do something with them.

But players don't come here and succeed. They come here and struggle even more.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nonsense....show me where i did that. You are making s**t up Cloned because you are trying to support your narrative.
Its disappointing to see this from you.

My questioning of the hive mind had everything to do with the vitriol and emotional nonsense.

If you are going to spend so much effort in trying to represent my position at least you can spend a moment getting it right.

These were your exact words in the last thread:

"I am quite certain that Hitch is involved with these deals and I trust his judgment more than I trust some fans in the Chicago HF board."

You're aligning yourself with Hitch's (speculated) opinion, implicitly elevating your own argument, then dismissing the argument of the posters here because of that.

What's worse is that this is a complete speculation on your part as to what Hitch's opinion actually is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
"I am quite certain that Hitch is involved with these deals and I trust his judgment more than I trust some fans in the Chicago HF board."

You're aligning yourself with Hitch's (speculated) opinion, implicitly elevating your own argument, then dismissing the argument of the posters here because of that.

What's worse is that this is a complete speculation on your part as to what Hitch's opinion actually is.

Context Cloned...it matters.
You know damn well that my criticism of the hive mind had to do with the reasons I stated already.

Enjoy your day. I am done.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Wait. Manning was on Waivers earlier this year.

Surely. SURELY. They’ve nisy have been a better way of acquiring him than giving up a scoring depth forward.
Whats the excuse?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes please......

In all seriousness, how can any Oilers fans not expect McJesus ask for a trade. He won’t because he is a good Canadian kid but I would be *#%k this GM if I am McJesus. Clown shoes is all I have to say.

When you think of al the bungled moves from picks:
Yak over Reilly, Lindhom or Dumba
Poolparty over Tkachuk

The trades:
Larsson for Hall
Eberle for Strome
Reinhard for Barzal and Beauvillier

The signing:
Lucic 7x6

Complete incompetence

you are twisting the trade--Here is the trade

2015-Jun-26 Mathew Barzal Draft pick rights traded from Edmonton Oilers with round 2 pick in the 2015 draft (Mitchell Stephens) to New York Islanders for Griffin Reinhart

Beauviller was taken in the first round--there was another trade that happened afterwards were the NYI added something to the second to get another first which was Beauville--he was never going to drop to the second round

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Context Cloned...it matters.
You know damn well that my criticism of the hive mind had to do with the reasons I stated already.

Enjoy your day. I am done.

Which I've already addressed. You're fusing together your appeal to authority with the supposed bias that our anger and angst is causing.

All I'm saying is:

- we don't know if, or to what extent, Hitch was consulted
- we don't know his actual opinions about any of these players
- we don't know if his opinion is actually more objectively correct than the opinion of a large majority of the fanbase
- we are capable of expressing both emotion and reason together without having reason go completely out the window

Your argument boils down to dismissing ours by melding Hitch's speculated opinion with your own impression of the board's anger. Neither point is conclusive IMO.

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You can't make it up in the sense that the Oilers downgraded from Strome to Spooner and now... 6 weeks later are trying to unload him but can't find any takers.

Chiarelli continues to dismantle this roster while simultaneously adding on extra useless cap. This idiot keeps trading for players who have lost their jobs with their current team thinking that we'll be able to do something with them.

But players don't come here and succeed. They come here and struggle even more.
Some succeed and some don't. Maroon, Chiasson, Gravel and Koskinen have all been notable success stories in one way or another. You're bound to find duds trying out all these low cost depth options. And you're rarely going to find yourself a guy who hasn't 'lost their job' when we aren't paying anything of significant value for them.

Spooner's a dud. Not surprised Chiarelli was ready to cut bait so quickly. At least that shows the coach and the GM are on the same page.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Players like Manning are guys you can easily pick up on waivers... not players you give up on a Caggiulla for.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Some succeed and some don't. Maroon, Chiasson, Gravel and Koskinen have all been notable success stories in one way or another. You're bound to find duds trying out all these low cost depth options. And you're rarely going to find yourself a guy who hasn't 'lost their job' when we aren't paying anything of significant value for them.

Spooner's a dud. Not surprised Chiarelli was ready to cut bait so quickly. At least that shows the coach and the GM are on the same page.

lmao

Chiarelli could trade Connor McDavid for a pack of ramen noodles and two cigarettes and you'd be in here trying to justify it away.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Which I've already addressed. You're fusing together your appeal to authority with the supposed bias that our anger and angst is causing.

All I'm saying is:

- we don't know if, or to what extent, Hitch was consulted
- we don't know his actual opinions about any of these players
- we don't know if his opinion is actually more objectively correct than the opinion of a large majority of the fanbase
- we are capable of expressing both emotion and reason together without having reason go completely out the window

Your argument boils down to dismissing ours by melding Hitch's speculated opinion with your own impression of the board's anger. Neither point is conclusive.

No...you are omitting context and cherry picking 1 line.

I am suggesting (for the last time) that overtly emotional responses do not have much currency at all. Given a choice I will appeal to objectivity (like @TheNumber4 post) and in addition I will trust Hitchs judgement and wait an see how things play out.

Also...you are fine one to lecture me on speculation. Virtually everything you have said today is speculation.
Also...I recall an entire conversation with you a few weeks ago where every post you put together was ramped up and could only be described as wild speculation on what you thought was behind Chias decisions.

I think you need to step off you high horse here.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
No...you are omitting context and cherry picking 1 line.

I am suggesting (for the last time) that overtly emotional responses do not have much currency at all. Given a choice I will appeal to objectivity (like @TheNumber4 post) and in addition I will trust Hitchs judgement and wait an see how things play out.

Also...you are fine one to lecture me on speculation. Virtually everything you have said today is speculation.
Also...I recall an entire conversation with you a few weeks ago where every post you put together was ramped up and could only be described as wild speculation on what you thought was behind Chias decisions.

I think you need to step off you high horse here.

Are you having a laugh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad