Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: What the **** is next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

tenor (5).gif

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Rumor: - Rumors and Proposals Thread: Come on Chia, Throw Hitch a Bone!

@guymez

I honestly can't agree that people are overvaluing Caggiula. In the thread I've seen him labelled as a Top 9 winger with potential, or a energetic if inconsistent utility forward that can provide some offense on a team that sorely needs offense.

Maybe there is a case for undervaluing Manning, but I'm having a hard time seeing that too. The guy is an overpaid 8D who Bowman couldn't wait to get rid of. He doesn't bring mobility or offense to the blue line. He's basically an extremely poor man's Adam Larsson who will struggle to get into the lineup when Russell is healthy (which could be as soon as the next game).

As for trusting Hitch's judgement, I generally don't believe in using appeal to authority as a debate tactic. It can provide evidence, but simply saying that "Hitch knows better" isn't an automatic debate ender.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Rumor: - Rumors and Proposals Thread: Come on Chia, Throw Hitch a Bone!

@guymez

I honestly can't agree that people are overvaluing Caggiula. In the thread I've seen him labelled as a Top 9 winger with potential, or a energetic if inconsistent utility forward that can provide some offense on a team that sorely needs offense.

Maybe there is a case for undervaluing Manning, but I'm having a hard time seeing that too. The guy is an overpaid 8D who Bowman couldn't wait to get rid of. He doesn't bring mobility or offense to the blue line. He's basically an extremely poor man's Adam Larsson who will struggle to get into the lineup when Russell is healthy (which could be as soon as the next game).

As for trusting Hitch's judgement, I generally don't believe in using appeal to authority as a debate tactic. It can provide evidence, but simply saying that "Hitch knows better" isn't an automatic debate ender.

The problem with your logic is that it isnt an appeal to authority...its a recognition of Hitchs role with the team.

If it was an appeal to authority then I would be suggesting that your opinion is completely invalid because you are not qualified. That is a stupid position to take IMO and I have NEVER taken that position in the almost 15 years I have been on this board. You know better than that..
So no...I am not doing that...I am simply suggesting that your opinion is skewed by emotion.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Because when you set a low precedent other GMs will take advantage of you.

A good GM would have stood pat. Held the fort. Kept the better assets, looked for a low key snipe or two, and hoped for at least a mediocre finish, built from there.

But then there’s Chia.

Reactions: McDrai

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The problem with your logic is that it isnt an appeal to authority...its a recognition of Hitchs role with the team.

If it was an appeal to authority then I would be suggesting that your opinion is completely invalid because you are not qualified. That is a stupid position to take IMO and I have NEVER taken that position in the almost 15 years I have been on this board. You know better than that..
So no...I am not doing that...I am simply suggesting that your opinion is skewed by emotion.

I'm still not seeing where you think posters (as a whole) are massively overvaluing Caggiula.

You're also using Hitch's opinion as evidence for your conclusion; that's textbook appeal to authority. Although I will concede that appeal to authority is not necessarily a invalid debate tactic. Just that I don't think one man's opinion, no matter how highly respected he is in his field, should hold that much more weight than what basically amounts to almost the entire consensus of this board. Add to that we are not even sure if Hitch was consulted with regards to Manning, or how much knowledge he has of the player if he was consulted.

You're speculating just as much as I am.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm still not seeing where you think posters (as a whole) are massively overvaluing Caggiula.

You're also using Hitch's opinion as evidence for your conclusion; that's textbook appeal to authority. Although I will concede that appeal to authority is not necessarily a invalid debate tactic. Just that I don't think one man's opinion, no matter how highly respected he is in his field, should hold that much more weight than what basically amounts to almost the entire consensus of this board. Add to that we are not even sure if Hitch was consulted with regards to Manning, or how much knowledge he has of the player if he was consulted.

You're speculating just as much as I am.

No...you are wrong. You are using something out of context. This is not an appeal to authority. Sorry man. If it was then i would be invalidating your opinion...I am not doing that and I will check to see if something i worded may have come off like that. If so it wasnt intentional.

I dont think your opinion is invalid...I just think that sometimes we can let out anger displace some objectivity and rational thinking and that is what i see happening on here today.

As for the rest of your post...just look at the verbage and obvious angst behind most of the posts here. There are a few posters like @TheNumber4 who are trying to look at these deals more objectively but those posts are few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad