Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Nurse has the most value of any of our D.

Klfebom is the most over rated player on the Oilers. We have to upgrade him this year for a true 1st pairing RH D. Would love to trade Klefbom for Buff.

Nurse Buff
Sekera Larsson
Russel Bouchard

I just got a semi.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Klfebom is the most over rated player on the Oilers. We have to upgrade him this year for a true 1st pairing RH D. Would love to trade Klefbom for Buff.

Nurse Buff
Sekera Larsson
Russel Bouchard
Nurse absolutely cannot play on the top pairing. Everytime he does he gets absolutely wrecked. He can't handle the minutes, he handles it worse than Klefbom.

If Nurse is on your top pairing, you are going to have a bad season.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Nurse Buff
Sekera Larsson
Russel Bouchard

That would be an absolutely terrible trade. Klefbom is absolutely our best dman when healthy and it isn't close really.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He's a UFA. They're tough to gauge because at 21 they should be dominating their competition. This guy is just doing it better than anyone else in the league. He runs the entire offense for the Battalion.

It's difficult to see how that skill translates in pro hockey, but the kid has some impressive tools. It just depends on how much he can improve his skating over the next two seasons. As you saw there, it isn't pretty.

Yeah, I knew that you have to balance overager scoring relative to what their age-peers are doing in the league, I just have no concept of what they usually are doing :). Thanks for the info - what would his next steps be usually? Try and get into the AHL? NCAA?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse absolutely cannot play on the top pairing. Everytime he does he gets absolutely wrecked. He can't handle the minutes, he handles it worse than Klefbom.

Yeah in order for Nurse to even be considered for top pairing minutes he needs a partner who belongs on the top pairing, which has never happened. His partners over the years have been rookie Schultz, Benning, Russell, and a struggling Larsson. That’s a recipe for bad things to happen.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
That would be an absolutely terrible trade. Klefbom is absolutely our best dman when healthy and it isn't close really.

Yeah we really seen that last game.

Hes actually been a train wreck 2 years running now.

Klefbom on the top pairing the last 2 years, yeah we are just smashing it out of the park with that.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

So does Klefbom, lets be honest now.

How much worse does it get then this year and last?

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
We need a top 6 winger for sure.. and the sooner the better. It appears that we need a change to the D situation but I don't think they have been playing too bad in the last 10 games.. maybe adding a Bouchard in there is going to fill that need? We just need some confidence and swagger and I think that would come with a little more skill on the team. We definitely have the back bone (Mcdavid and Drai) to building a confident hockey team.

I think we should ship out RNH for two top six wingers. 1 NHL ready + 1 in prospect form but ready for the show type thing. They don't need to be superstars just 20 goals & 50 point+ guys. Then we should look into upgrading the 3C position. (maybe with our draft pick this year?) but I think it would be better to draft a top 6 winger and acquire a 3C by other means.

The D.. whatever.. I'll let you Veteran Oiler fans fix that one up if you think its needed... we do have some nice pieces.

Hope that Pulj can produce in the top six at some point next year and we could have:

(RNH trade) - Mcdavid - ??? (gagner??)
(RNH trade) - Draisaitl - ??? (Pulj??)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I knew that you have to balance overager scoring relative to what their age-peers are doing in the league, I just have no concept of what they usually are doing :). Thanks for the info - what would his next steps be usually? Try and get into the AHL? NCAA?
Pro. AHL or ECHL if he signs somewhere. CHL players are ineligible for the NCAA--it's one or the other. If he doesn't sign, he's probably got scholarship options to play CIS hockey.

Reactions: Aerrol

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
To be fair there wouldn't be as much complaining after a trade if the oilers would actually win the trade. Something that rarely happens with oilers

Wait, you can win trades?

I thought you just sent better players for worse players?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We need someone better than Klef and Larsson. The only top pairing D that is available is probably only Spurgeon.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
We should be going hard after Sturm and Brazeau.

Brazeau seems to be the exact type of guy that Mcdavid can make into a 25 goal scorer. A big powerforward with smarts, good hands, a nice shot, but bad skating.

Sturm is a prototypical checking line, defensive minded 3c. We could really use one of those. Also, he's German so would be good for Drai and he'd have a German mentor to look out to.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Nurse Buff
Sekera Larsson
Russel Bouchard

Trade a 25 year old d-man on a sweetheart contract for an aging, expensive D who isn't even the top pairing guy on his own team.

13tg.gif

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
We should be going hard after Sturm and Brazeau.

Brazeau seems to be the exact type of guy that Mcdavid can make into a 25 goal scorer. A big powerforward with smarts, good hands, a nice shot, but bad skating.

Sturm is a prototypical checking line, defensive minded 3c. We could really use one of those. Also, he's German so would be good for Drai and he'd have a German mentor to look out to.

I don't know much about Brazeau, but I really like Sturm. He's also the best faceoff man in the entire league. And his numbers in the NCAA are also really good, so its not like he would just play a shutdown role either.

I bet he would love coming to Edmonton, the Drai factor similar to Rieder.

Reactions: 780il

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
We need to fill out that top 6.. and I'm not sure we should do it the patient way? With 2 of the top scorers in the league and both of them being capable of being the 1C and 2C on our team... if we can grab some wingers in a quick fashion I do believe we could really start turning this ship around in a hurry.

Maybe we should target a "closest to nhl ready" top 6 winger in this draft.

+

We could trade RNH for 2 wingers (20 goal & 50 point guys, maybe one is a prospect but ready for the show type thing)

We could trade one of our D with value for 2 wingers same as above.

We could package our first+ for a top six winger.. but now we prob run into cap dump issues. Maybe go 1st + Pulj + cap dumps (not named Lucic)

We could trade Bouchard for a top six winger (again cap dump issues)

How else can we fill out that top 6 in a hurry?

Just spitting out the options.

EDIT: Can we get Ottawa to bite around a trade Lucic for Bobby Ryan? lol then we could convert his money into the top 6 at least. I don't like using Lucic trdes because they are so unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don't know much about Brazeau, but I really like Sturm. He's also the best faceoff man in the entire league. And his numbers in the NCAA are also really good, so its not like he would just play a shutdown role either.

I bet he would love coming to Edmonton, the Drai factor similar to Rieder.
I don't think Sturm ever reaches a point total higher than 35. Which is totally passable production for a 3rd liner.

I think he's also a safe bet to be a NHL'er in some capacity like a 4c. His physical and defensive tools show us that.

The development and translation of his offense to the NHL will determine if he's a good 4c or a good 3c.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So does Klefbom, lets be honest now.

How much worse does it get then this year and last?
Klefbom can play top pairing minutes. Go freaking look at our team record with or without Klefbom in the lineup.

Last year he was fighting his shoulder injury. This year for the most part he has been pretty good, Larssons been having a bad year and it's pulled Klefbom game down a bit.

Klefbom when out of the lineup kills the team. If your plan is to trade Klefbom for an improved player that's not old balls than sure. If your plan is to grab an aging guy who isn't even top pairing on his own team and put Nurse on the top pairing Jesus, I'm glad your name isn't accurate.

Nurse has proven it this year that he is far from ready for top pairing minutes.

Reactions: Aerrol

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I don't think Sturm ever reaches a point total higher than 35. Which is totally passable production for a 3rd liner.

I think he's also a safe bet to be a NHL'er in some capacity like a 4c. His physical and defensive tools show us that.

The development and translation of his offense to the NHL will determine if he's a good 4c or a good 3c.
Sturm would play a pretty similar role to Strome when he was here, for much cheaper. Count me in.
We need to fill out that top 6.. and I'm not sure we should do it the patient way? With 2 of the top scorers in the league and both of them being capable of being the 1C and 2C on our team... if we can grab some wingers in a quick fashion I do believe we could really start turning this ship around in a hurry.

Maybe we should target a "closest to nhl ready" top 6 winger in this draft.

+

We could trade RNH for 2 wingers (20 goal & 50 point guys, maybe one is a prospect but ready for the show type thing)

We could trade one of our D with value for 2 wingers same as above.

We could package our first+ for a top six winger.. but now we prob run into cap dump issues. Maybe go 1st + Pulj + cap dumps (not named Lucic)

We could trade Bouchard for a top six winger (again cap dump issues)

How else can we fill out that top 6 in a hurry?

Just spitting out the options.

EDIT: Can we get Ottawa to bite around a trade Lucic for Bobby Ryan? lol then we could convert his money into the top 6 at least. I don't like using Lucic trdes because they are so unlikely to happen.
Or we can just go to FA. I'd prefer not to throw away all our futures for a short term fix, so that might be a better option. There are plenty of wingers available this year: Nyquist, Zuccarello, Dzingel, Johansson, and a bunch that I'm forgetting.

Reactions: nabob and Chabot84

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Jeff Petry at 25 wasn't as good as Larsson is at 25

Larsson is having a down season for sure, but people giving up on him is insane
Makes me wonder if his back problems are becoming chronic. I certainly hope not, especially given the exorbitant price of acquisition. Our starboard side is paper thin as it is, and a declining Larsson would be devastating.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Klef at 4 mill can play on you second pair if you feel Nurse is ready. He is not the one you move out, despite being a bandaid, because he helps our cap situation.

I am not all that worried about our defense next year assuming Sekera doesn't blow out another extremity. Winger depth and goaltender are a problem.

Reactions: AT14C
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad