Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: The Calm Before The Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No chance in hell do I want Kadri anywhere near the Oilers. He's poison to a team and never learns from his mistakes. He'll mess us up just like he did to the leafs the last 2 playoff appearances (assuming we can ever make it back to the dance). Big time NO to Kadri, especially if we have to give up assets for him. I wouldn't take him for free.
If he does become the reason you lose in the playoffs then you move him. Until then, we need to find a way to get players in here that take us to that next step.

Kadri at 4.5mil is a very nice contract

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Echos of the Jussi Jokinen experiment. Veteran Finish centre to come in and mentor JP. What could possibly go wrong? :sarcasm:
While there is that fear, I am no regrets on JJ. Was a cheap contract that didn't really hurt.

I would be hesitant on giving him much more than 1 year at 2mil as he is getting older and he did only play 14 or 15 minutes a night last year.

But if cheap, I have no issue bringing in some competition and depth. As it stands Cave and Brodziak can't be in that slot next year, and if they are it has to be short term.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
While there is that fear, I am no regrets on JJ. Was a cheap contract that didn't really hurt.

I would be hesitant on giving him much more than 1 year at 2mil as he is getting older and he did only play 14 or 15 minutes a night last year.

But if cheap, I have no issue bringing in some competition and depth. As it stands Cave and Brodziak can't be in that slot next year, and if they are it has to be short term.

I agree. As much as we need a backup goalie, 2 or more top 6 wingers, a top 4 RHd and to shed some bad contracts, if we have Cave, Gagner and BrodziAk as 3 and 4 center for extended period of time, were doomed.

Gagner & BrodziAk are too slow. Cave doesn’t have enough offense. Gagner can contribute as a bottom 6 winger with some PP time. Cave & BrodziAk are ok as 13-14 forwards.

Filppula could come cheap. He’s had a few 30 point seasons lately and that’s not terrible for a 3C. I’d also look at Glendenning in Det - right hand shot, over 50% face off and decent points. Haula might be available. Either way we need to upgrade 3C at least.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he does become the reason you lose in the playoffs then you move him. Until then, we need to find a way to get players in here that take us to that next step.

Kadri at 4.5mil is a very nice contract

The Oilers could use some damn fire in the belly anyway. Team is too damn bland and filled with quiet personalities.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree. As much as we need a backup goalie, 2 or more top 6 wingers, a top 4 RHd and to shed some bad contracts, if we have Cave, Gagner and BrodziAk as 3 and 4 center for extended period of time, were doomed.

Gagner & BrodziAk are too slow. Cave doesn’t have enough offense. Gagner can contribute as a bottom 6 winger with some PP time. Cave & BrodziAk are ok as 13-14 forwards.

Filppula could come cheap. He’s had a few 30 point seasons lately and that’s not terrible for a 3C. I’d also look at Glendenning in Det - right hand shot, over 50% face off and decent points. Haula might be available. Either way we need to upgrade 3C at least.

I think Cave was quietly a very effective player. Won 52% of his draws, attacked with speed, created chances, strong positives on the fancies even though he started in the defensive zone quite a bit.

He and Gambardella could be 2/3rds of a really good fourth line that’s an absolute pain in the ass to play against.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
That report on the main boards that Jim Benning is going to talk to Eriksson this week is interesting and may be a deciding factor on if that Lucic swap is plausible.

They both get paid signing bonus' July 1 so probably not a trade that has to wait till then like some others.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That report on the main boards that Jim Benning is going to talk to Eriksson this week is interesting and may be a deciding factor on if that Lucic swap is plausible.

They both get paid signing bonus' July 1 so probably not a trade that has to wait till then like some others.

I can’t remember who said it but it was fairly recent - didn’t Benning and his staff seriously discuss an Eriksson/Lucic swap a little while ago?

I think there’s smoke there.

Reactions: KYams17

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'd offer Puljujarvi for Virtanen. Virtanen could thrive on Mcdavids wing as a crash and bang, go to the net type of player.

Isn’t that what Kassian already does?
Also no chance Vancouver parts with Virtanen now when Virtanen is rounding into form finally for someone who was where Virtanen was 2 years ago. It’s a backwards move for them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That would actually be a fairly safe bet.

No arbitration rights, and Jessi's not really in a position to demand much. This is the only card his agent has to drive up his price.

Problem is, Holland's shown he's willing to let guys sit (AA for example).

I could see term being a big point of contention, with Pulju's camp pushing hard for 1 year, even if it's a cheap contract; and the Oil pushing for 2. (which is when ~10 mil gets freed up from Sekera and Russell, and the team gets some wiggle room)

I think you could see the same out of Khaira.

Back to Pulju, the one issue he has here though with this tactic is, I can't see any team in Europe/Finland giving him half of what cheap NHL "prove it" deal is worth, or even guaranteeing him good icetime.

If he's going to bet on himself, he'd be better to take the risk in Edmonton with the new coach and management. Even if he flames out, the same offer will still be on the table from Finland, but he'll also have a couple hundred thousand more in the bank.

Good post.

Like you I see this as posturing from Jesses camp. Throw up a bunch of smoke around other potential interest so they can drive up the contract value. The team in Finland surely had to know the contract reality around Jesses professional rights. I think that they may have done that (just mentioned his name in a announcement about another player) as a favor to the Jesse camp in exchange for a possible contract if Jesse leaves the NHL down the road. Some backroom stuff if you will.
In the end though its a miscalculation IMO.

The problem is that they have no true leverage and they arent dealing with some rookie GM here.

This kind of attempted power play is Yakupov all over again. I think Jesses time with the Oilers is done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Would be happy this offseason coming away with a-

Eriksson for Lucic
Benning, Bear, 8th for Kadri, Kapanen
Russell for whatever

Eriksson-McDavid-Drasaitl
Nygard-Nuge-Kapanen
Khaira-Kadri-Kassian
Benson-Marody/Cave-Puljujarvi

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Persson
Lagesson-Bouchard

Koskinen
UFA
Starrett

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Would be happy this offseason coming away with a-

Eriksson for Lucic
Benning, Bear, 8th for Kadri, Kapanen
Russell for whatever

Eriksson-McDavid-Drasaitl
Nygard-Nuge-Kapanen
Khaira-Kadri-Kassian
Benson-Marody/Cave-Puljujarvi

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Persson
Lagesson-Bouchard

Koskinen
UFA
Starrett
Eriksson on the top line?

Let me wipe the puke off my keyboard.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
I think Cave was quietly a very effective player. Won 52% of his draws, attacked with speed, created chances, strong positives on the fancies even though he started in the defensive zone quite a bit.

He and Gambardella could be 2/3rds of a really good fourth line that’s an absolute pain in the ass to play against.
I also like Cave’s speed. But I wonder if his offense is limited. I like Gambardella also. But they need to be able to score on occasion and I’m not sure if I saw enough from Cave to have gonna pencilled in as an everyday player, yet.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
If Lucic finds his game in Vancouver. You do know we will have to deal with him 4-6 times a season for the next 4 years.
There seems to be a high number of ex oilers that seem to find their mojo again when they are traded.
But I guess for the sake of the team and player, I guess that change would have to be made.
But, man, that would suck if we have to deal with him in our division.

Reactions: The Nuge and Faelko

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
If Lucic finds his game in Vancouver. You do know we will have to deal with him 4-6 times a season for the next 4 years.
There seems to be a high number of ex oilers that seem to find their mojo again when they are traded.
But I guess for the sake of the team and player, I guess that change would have to be made.
I’d rather “deal” with him for 4-6 games a year instead of 82.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
4-6 games a year maybe screwing the Oilers compared to 82 games a year for sure screwing the Oilers.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I.... I don't hate the idea of Roslovic for Puljujarvi...

Combined with the fact that Jack requested a trade for more minutes and just fired his agent (per Aaron Portzline), could be worth visiting.

Add the rights to Myers so they can lock up Laine and Trouba - easy ;)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Roslovic is really interesting. The fact they're likely shopping Mathieu Perreault as well makes me wonder if there's a bigger deal that could be had there.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I'd love to see Brassard signed to be 3c with Puljujarvi and anyone but Lucic on the wings.

If you could trade for Kadri and sign Brassard plus trade for a Milano or maybe sign/trade for Burakovsky that would go a long way to improving the top 9 from complete dumpster fire to not terrible.

Even if you couldn't get Kadri that's a huge improvement.

Worth checking in on Roslovic too.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Puljujarvi + 3rd for Roslovic.

Put Roslo on the 2nd line with Nuge and he probably has a breakout year. Also flexible and can play center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad