Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: The Calm Before The Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Another season with Chiarelli would've resulted in further catastrophe. Least the old boys club is getting rinsed up as well.

I hear you.
I just cant imagine the state this team would be in if changes werent made.
It feels like we can relax a little with Holland running things.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Never saw this part of it. There's the common sense part at least.

Murphy is a hack, too FWIW. Not even worth the effort to discuss.

• Joe Haggerty reported trade talks involving the Oilers and Bruins discussing a Klef/Krug swap
  • Murphy chimed in and said that Danton Heinen or Anders Bjork and 10th overall pick were also involved, but the Oilers wanted Debrusk and boston didn't want to part with him.
  • Months later, another Boston guy (Thomas) confirms the talks but adds Bouchard falling to 10 ultimately scuttled the deal.
That's a lot of smoke.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
  • Joe Haggerty reported trade talks involving the Oilers and Bruins discussing a Klef/Krug swap
  • Murphy chimed in and said that Danton Heinen or Anders Bjork and 10th overall pick were also involved, but the Oilers wanted Debrusk and boston didn't want to part with him.
  • Months later, another Boston guy (Thomas) confirms the talks but adds Bouchard falling to 10 ultimately scuttled the deal.
That's a lot of smoke.
Does that sound like Klefbom and 10 for Krug, which is the deal quoted in the link?

I have no doubts we were sniffing around some of Chiarelli's old guys. It was discussed at length when the rumors were there.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
When it comes to JP... I don't even care anymore. You'd think that with a new GM that's respected + a new coach he'd be open to giving it another go. Ready to get rid of him and bring in someone who actually gives a f***. What about Tyson Jost? He doesn't have JP's upside, he may not become a top-6 forward, but at the very least he fills a need at 3C for the time being. Also an AB kid.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have a hard time believing that Holland and Tippett have given up on Jesse without seeing first hand what they have.

If there is a change I have to think that its Jesse's agent that driving this. After all...Jesse's only leverage for change is if he doesnt agree to sign. The Agent obviously knows this.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have a hard time believing that Holland and Tippett have given up on Jesse without seeing first hand what they have.

If there is a change I have to think that its Jesse's agent that driving this. After all...Jesse's only leverage for change is if he doesnt agree to sign. The Agent obviously knows this.

Agree 100%. This all smells like smoke from JPs agents fire.

Reactions: guymez

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

That would actually be a fairly safe bet.

No arbitration rights, and Jessi's not really in a position to demand much. This is the only card his agent has to drive up his price.

Problem is, Holland's shown he's willing to let guys sit (AA for example).

I could see term being a big point of contention, with Pulju's camp pushing hard for 1 year, even if it's a cheap contract; and the Oil pushing for 2. (which is when ~10 mil gets freed up from Sekera and Russell, and the team gets some wiggle room)

I think you could see the same out of Khaira.

Back to Pulju, the one issue he has here though with this tactic is, I can't see any team in Europe/Finland giving him half of what cheap NHL "prove it" deal is worth, or even guaranteeing him good icetime.

If he's going to bet on himself, he'd be better to take the risk in Edmonton with the new coach and management. Even if he flames out, the same offer will still be on the table from Finland, but he'll also have a couple hundred thousand more in the bank.

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
How much do you reckon a guy like Wallmark would cost? I think he’s ready to move up to 3rd line centre status since he absolutely kills his competition. Plus he’s Swedish. A third + okay prospect?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Not to mention that Holland has prob been so busy that I doubt hes had much of a conversation with JP or his agent. So for them to be "surprised" about the rumour is probably accurate.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
No chance in hell do I want Kadri anywhere near the Oilers. He's poison to a team and never learns from his mistakes. He'll mess us up just like he did to the leafs the last 2 playoff appearances (assuming we can ever make it back to the dance). Big time NO to Kadri, especially if we have to give up assets for him. I wouldn't take him for free.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
No chance in hell do I want Kadri anywhere near the Oilers. He's poison to a team and never learns from his mistakes. He'll mess us up just like he did to the leafs the last 2 playoff appearances (assuming we can ever make it back to the dance). Big time NO to Kadri, especially if we have to give up assets for him. I wouldn't take him for free.

I would take him for free.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bringing in Val Filppula seems like the biggest no brainer move that should be made this offseason. Veteran Finnish center who’s got a long history with Holland. Plus the team has a glaring hole at the 3C spot. Staple him and Pulju together on the third line and let Filppula work with and mentor Pulju.
I like this idea. Give him 2.2, 1.4 = 2 years @$1.8M with a limited NTC (10 team non trade list) . He gets a little security with a contract that would be easily movable in year 2 if need be. He can be decent #3C or can play the wing.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I like this idea. Give him 2.2, 1.4 = 2 years @$1.8M with a limited NTC (10 team non trade list) . He gets a little security with a contract that would be easily movable in year 2 if need be. He can be decent #3C or can play the wing.

If a miracle happens and the Lucic for Ericksson deal materializes you could run him on the other wing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How much do you reckon a guy like Wallmark would cost? I think he’s ready to move up to 3rd line centre status since he absolutely kills his competition. Plus he’s Swedish. A third + okay prospect?

Wallmark WAS the Canes 3C last year and, unless they acquire someone in the off-season, will be their 3C again next year. If they do acquire someone, or in a couple years if Necas shows he's an NHL C, , he'll be their 4C and cost controlled. Don't think Carolina would have any interest in moving him for a 3rd+ok prospect. Particularly when the Canes have three 2nd round picks this year and a bunch of ok prospects.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Why would the Canes move him at all let alone for a pick and ok prospect?

Seems more likely they would keep him since he is young, cheap and improving.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Bringing in Val Filppula seems like the biggest no brainer move that should be made this offseason....

Echos of the Jussi Jokinen experiment. Veteran Finish centre to come in and mentor JP. What could possibly go wrong? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad