Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: More Calm Before The Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Anybody would guess why everyweek theres another team trying to acquire Zucker yet the Oilers are never in the trade talks when he is exactly what this team is missing ?
I know. Exactly the type of guy we need. Get proven players.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
5'8 165lb Johnny Gaudreau plays almost every game, suffers no special liberty that McDavid does not and does not have a "heavy" done there to "deter" people from hitting him or whatever.

The deterrent argument is meritless, pretty much objectively so.

Johny H disappears when it matters because he is afraid the hard play. Last 2 playoff series, he is 0 goals, 3 assists in 9 games.

The flames need a guy like Lucic because everyone in the league knows that Johny H will shrink if you can get to him physically.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I have no problem Lucic for Erickson but as long as we are not adding a lot.

That one extra year is not worth that much

as I pointed out several times on the main board--but was ignored

Lucic is 2 years younger then Erickson..

last 3 years

Lucic 39 goals 65 assists 84pts -24
Erickson 32 goals 44assists 76 pts -20

If a 4th or 3rd is added I have no problem
Lucic has 104 points in the last 3 years. The only way I trade him for Eriksson is if we immediately deal Eriksson again. He’s pure garbage.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Even strength scoring over the last 3 years:

Lucic 243, 22, 46, 68 .28 ppg

Eriksson 196, 25, 35, 60 .31 ppg

It would be unfair to discount Lucic's power play success except he was only effective there 1 year and seems unlikely to contribute significantly in that area again.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I know. Exactly the type of guy we need. Get proven players.

Because we have two guys who hold enough value to land Zucker and no one wants to move one. I already made a Nurse+Gagner for Zucker+Brodin proposal that no one commented on.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
4 more years of Lucic for 2 more years of Perry? Lose money... wonder if theres anything possible around those guys. Oilers retain a little? Perry is kinda glass lately but even at his age hes better than Lucic if he makes it onto the ice.

Does anyone know if the CBA dictates that salary retention must be uniform? Is it impossible to do retention only in the final 2 years of a deal?

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Then why not discuss the idea. I see no other way for the Oilers to get a top 6 forward other then trading one of Nurse or Klefbom or drafting one. Chia literally traded every other valuable piece we had.

Benson might work out in top 6 he will be knocking on the door

Bouchard will be knocking as well and he can add a huge effect on the team if he lives up to his hype

Can always trade the 8th for impact top 6 player

Pulj as a sweetener can help put a trade piece over the top

We have options

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Bouchard will be knocking as well and he can add a huge effect on the team if he lives up to his hype

We have options

Bold thinking. I don't wanna rely on Benson or Bouchard yet, but if Pulju is the sweetener on a good deal, I agree.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Let the Flames keep 1 chin up, Today's special Sam Crenshaw, 80's pedo looking Bennett

They all blew their loads with career years last year and choked so hard lol. Now that was sweet

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I'd add to Lucic for Eriksson for sure. I'd add our 2nd this year to take that mess. Both players are done, but Erikssons contract is manageable. Don't have to protect him, and it's a cheaper buy out. That's a no brainer to me.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A lot of ifs.

The reason I wanted to reply to you though is I wanted to present to you a scenario. A thought experiment. Let's take an Oiler player view. They after all have to play the game, not you or I. Clear your mind of all Lucic hatred.

You apply for and are then hired by a big company downtown. They are paying you really big bucks and you are very happy. You met your coworkers and they are all kind people. The office and your work space are awesome. You have finally made it!

You buy a great place a few blocks away and on your first day you take advantage of the sunny day and walk to work. On the way you are jostled by men and are then softly cursed at under their breath. Mean looking gents accost you at the entrance of your building demanding you pay up or else.

Once inside you are glared at by the staff running the building and it is only when you reach your desk that you feel safe. The next problem is that your job forces you to leave the office a few times a day and go to meetings in the building next door.

This goes on for months and only gets worse. The bumps turn to shoves and elbows. The soft insults to open hatred and contempt. The threats to fist fights. The glares to verbal abuse. This is happening to all the employees. They live in fear.

The boss calls a meeting and tells you how he can fix the problem but it will cost some coin. He might not be able to hire that extra middle manager. Everyone might have to step it up a bit. The office agrees.

The next morning you tentatively walk out your front door dreading the day. At the door stands Milan Lucic. Fear fills you until he informs you that he is here for you. Big deal you think. Waste of money. On the way to work he walks in front and powers his way through the crowd. He is the one shoving and pushing and smashing. At the entrance he elbows his way through and then throws down the biggest extortionist. The building workers cower.

When you have to go to your meetings he is waiting outside.

The violence lessens. The punches and shoves turn to bumps or jostles. The odd threat of further violence now rings hollow. You feel safer.

Your boss calls a meeting.

"We are thinking of getting rid of Milan Lucic."
If this was 1985 I'd be right with you. But I don't think much of this applies in today's game even though I appreciate what Lucic does bring in terms of toughness. But this is a different debate. You have said that the deals I proposed are bad asset management despite the fact that they are essentially a 3rd for over $14M in cap space.

Personally, I don't think the Oilers should be desperate to shed Lucic's contract. After this year they have a fair bit of cap flexibility and I think he is still a serviceable bottom six forward who does bring intagibles. But if they actually had someone they needed the cap space for I'd have no hesitation making the deals I proposed

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
5'8 165lb Johnny Gaudreau plays almost every game, suffers no special liberty that McDavid does not and does not have a "heavy" done there to "deter" people from hitting him or whatever.

The deterrent argument is meritless, pretty much objectively so.
I definitely seen more liberties taken with Hemsky, Comrie, Gagner, and Hall than I have seen for McDavid, Drai, or Nuge. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the game changing, but people taking liberties with our players is pretty infrequent *knock on wood*, I know Elias Pettersson had a lot of liberties taken with him this year, even beyond the notable ones, just watching their games I could see a difference in how he was treated compared to McDavid.

The players say their is value in a deterrent, I figure the people who play the game know better than us. I'm guessing very few are deterred into not playing someone hard, there just tends to be a few players on every team who are having trouble justifying their existence on the team due to a lack of offense so they look for other ways to make that up, in some cases its penalty killing, some times it's head hunting the star player, and in some cases its fighting. Having a fighter on your team gives them one outlet to prove their worth that isn't hunting down your star players and this isn't saying they'd rather fight just that the availability of option B leads them to pick option A a bit less.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

We have options

I would only trade the 8th overall for a really good top 6 player on their ELC , with the expansion draft looming.

Reactions: Chabot84

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anybody would guess why everyweek theres another team trying to acquire Zucker yet the Oilers are never in the trade talks when he is exactly what this team is missing ?
Probably a concern that at 5.5mil he's one 30-30 season is an outlier and he's a 20-20 guy.

We don't exactly have the cap space to take that chance. Not unless the Wild are willing to take some money back

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I definitely seen more liberties taken with Hemsky, Comrie, Gagner, and Hall than I have seen for McDavid, Drai, or Nuge. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the game changing, but people taking liberties with our players is pretty infrequent *knock on wood*, I know Elias Pettersson had a lot of liberties taken with him this year, even beyond the notable ones, just watching their games I could see a difference in how he was treated compared to McDavid.

The players say their is value in a deterrent, I figure the people who play the game know better than us. I'm guessing very few are deterred into not playing someone hard, there just tends to be a few players on every team who are having trouble justifying their existence on the team due to a lack of offense so they look for other ways to make that up, in some cases its penalty killing, some times it's head hunting the star player, and in some cases its fighting. Having a fighter on your team gives them one outlet to prove their worth that isn't hunting down your star players and this isn't saying they'd rather fight just that the availability of option B leads them to pick option A a bit less.
Didn't Klef get re-injured in practice by a teammate with a slash? It just seems the game has changed, where slashing is acceptable unless you really lumberjack the guy.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Didn't Klef get re-injured in practice by a teammate with a slash? It just seems the game has changed, where slashing is acceptable unless you really lumberjack the guy.

I think it was an unintentional one though, iirc. The puck was in the air and I believe it was Puljujarvi who tried to bat it down with his stick while Klefbom was trying to catch it or glove it and JP whacked his hand instead.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Johny H disappears when it matters because he is afraid the hard play. Last 2 playoff series, he is 0 goals, 3 assists in 9 games.

The flames need a guy like Lucic because everyone in the league knows that Johny H will shrink if you can get to him physically.

I mean I don't believe this for a second but hopefully someone in Calgary's front office does.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it was an unintentional one though, iirc. The puck was in the air and I believe it was Puljujarvi who tried to bat it down with his stick while Klefbom was trying to catch it or glove it and JP whacked his hand instead.
They all seem to be unintentional though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think Eriksson offers more to the game than Lucic does. Eriksson is solid defensively and a better playmaker/puck possession player. Lucic really doesnt have much playmaking ability and completely disinterested in the D zone. Not to mention, Lucic has been a shell of his former self physically the last 2 years

Id forsure take Eirksson over Lucic- even though I do have a feeling Lucic would have a bounce back year playing his home town and really getting a wake up call. However, his time here is done- hes checked out mentally

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think Eriksson offers more to the game than Lucic does. Eriksson is solid defensively and a better playmaker/puck possession player. Lucic really doesnt have much playmaking ability and completely disinterested in the D zone. Not to mention, Lucic has been a shell of his former self physically the last 2 years

Id forsure take Eirksson over Lucic- even though I do have a feeling Lucic would have a bounce back year playing his home town and really getting a wake up call. However, his time here is done- hes checked out mentally
The other thing about Eriksson is his actual pay/caphit is even lower then Lucic, so moving him to an Ottawa (for example) would be even more palatable for them for cap floor reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad