Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: More Calm Before The Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I agree.
I am actually quite high on Jones. I think he has a legit chance to be a top 4 dman....more importantly he is a player that was developed internally. He has a lot of value to the Oilers.
Thats the way to successfully navigate the Cap era IMO. Develop your own young players and utilize their cheap entry level deals (and even bridge deals) for as long as possible.
So if the Oilers do deal him then the return had better be much more than an unproven player like Roslovic.

That's basically what they'd doing with a Jones for Roslovic swap though.

Roslovic may be unproven, but he's the same age as Jones. Combine that with him going in the 1st round of the same draft and being over a point-per-game in the AHL along with decent NHL production and it's pretty safe to say he's more proven than Jones.

If you trade Jones for a more proven player, you'll miss out on all that value from a cheap ELC and bridge.

Reactions: 780il

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If Roslovic was on the table that's a guy we need to be in on. The Jets blueline is somewhat thin in the pipeline outside of Niku.. one of our defenseman for him could make some sense.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's basically what they'd doing with a Jones for Roslovic swap though.

Roslovic may be unproven, but he's the same age as Jones. Combine that with him going in the 1st round of the same draft and being over a point-per-game in the AHL along with decent NHL production and it's pretty safe to say he's more proven than Jones.

If you trade Jones for a more proven player, you'll miss out on all that value from a cheap ELC and bridge.

Actually though Roslovic isnt over a point per game in the AHL. He is at 0.86 ppg in the AHL. Still pretty good for sure but not over a point per game.

The thing is Jones is a dman and the Oilers know what they have in Jones. He is a known quantity. He has been developed in their system. They also know the back story on him.
I dont think its smart to trade a player that the team has invested so much into and has a lot of cheap years left.
A player in which they have a strong sense of what his trajectory is.
They would be trading him for an unknown quantity that the Jets deem expendable.
If they trade for a player like Roslovic then I would package up a deal around Puljujarvi who may be an intriguing player for them considering his connection to Laine.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Actually though Roslovic isnt over a point per game in the AHL. He is at 0.86 ppg in the AHL. Still pretty good for sure but not over a point per game.

The thing is Jones is a dman and the Oilers know what they have in Jones. He is a known quantity. He has been developed in their system. They also know the back story on him.
I dont think its smart to trade a player that the team has invested so much into. A player in which they have a strong sense of what his trajectory is.
They would be trading him for an unknown quantity that the Jets deem expendable.
If they trade for a player like Roslovic then I would package up a deal around Puljujarvi who may be an intriguing player for them considering his connection to Laine.

I think if the Jets weren’t so thin on d, they might consider Pulju but if you want to entice them to deal Roslovic they’d want someone like Jones.

I don’t think Bear or Lagesson would be compelling enough for them.

At the end of the day though, I think the Jets are really high on Roslovic and probably wouldn’t deal him.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto

I dont think its smart to trade a player that the team has invested so much into and has a lot of cheap years left.
A player in which they have a strong sense of what his trajectory is.
Totally with you on this one. If Jones is dealt, it has to be more than just Roslovic.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Seems like Jones > Puljujarvi around here.

Holland needs to Identify 4 or 5 LDs to keep and trade bait the rest. I don't think Jones is a top 8 Dman in the organization right now and we need to add another top 4 Dman.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto

Holland needs to Identify 4 or 5 LDs to keep and trade bait the rest. I don't think Jones is a top 8 Dman in the organization right now and we need to add another top 4 Dman.
Adding another vet D would help for sure. But I'm strongly against trading young D. We now have somewhat acceptable coming up and there are already voices, that want to trade our future. I don't like it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think if the Jets weren’t so thin on d, they might consider Pulju but if you want to entice them to deal Roslovic they’d want someone like Jones.

I don’t think Bear or Lagesson would be compelling enough for them.

At the end of the day though, I think the Jets are really high on Roslovic and probably wouldn’t deal him.

Its interesting to hear that the Jets are shopping Trouba. If I were the GM of the Jets I would be looking to trade some higher priced forwards...not Dmen.

In any event I think some posters are undervaluing Jones. I really like the player...he has a great tool set IMO.
I would be reluctant to trade him. I have him pretty much at the top of the list of NHL ready dmen in Bakersfield right now.

Reactions: Belchior

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Do you think Jesse has more value than Jones?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Nothing against Roslovic, but does he bring more to the table than Marody? Plus Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, who are also RHS, but wingers.

The Oil are actually in a good spot when it comes to young talent looking to break into the league. Established talent to insulate those guys is the issue for the Oil. Roslovic wouldn't solve that.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Nothing against Roslovic, but does he bring more to the table than Marody? Plus Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, who are also RHS, but wingers.

The Oil are actually in a good spot when it comes to young talent looking to break into the league. Established talent to insulate those guys is the issue for the Oil. Roslovic wouldn't solve that.

I think Roslovic upside is more of the Derek Stepan, Kevin Hayes type while Marody upside will be more a 3rd liner that puts up 25 or so points.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He is a better skater than Marody and is currently better than the other wingers you mentioned too. He had a 24 point season playing like....10 minutes a game on the 4th line because their forwards are stacked. That's why he was rumored to ask for a trade.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Wowowowow....
That is brutal

giphy.gif

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If Skinner gets 9 mil on a long term deal then Marner has to be at least 11 million...good luck Toronto :laugh:

Reactions: lakai17

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
If Skinner gets 9 mil on a long term deal then Marner has to be at least 11 million...good luck Toronto :laugh:

Yeah no doubt the Leafs would have preferred Skinner not extend before the Marner deal was done ha ha ha

Reactions: McDrai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad