Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Brian Gionta is 100 years old... but for a leadership/vet type depth forward... you could do worse. He likely retires or stays with a New York area based team anyway.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Rnh-brodziak
rieder-strome
Khaira-drai

With McDavid and kassian as an option as well. A player doesn’t need to be a 10 year get to kill penalties.
Agreed, but in a perfect world its nice to have players capable of filling that specific role. An injury to McDavid, Draisaitl of RNH because of our insistence to use them while a man down would be severely detrimental to our season. Brouwer was a primary PK forward for the Flames last season.

Brodziak - Brouwer
Strome - Rieder
McDavid - RNH

That would be a preferable PK setup IMO.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I actually think this is an okay deal for Carolina. Pu is a good prospect, and they get a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 6th. For a guy who will be a UFA in a year getting 4 assets is pretty decent. I would have preferred that for Eberle rather than Strome.
Do they really need a prospect like Pu though? The Canes are pretty stocked in terms of quality F prospects. I think the coveted him because he put up numbers with Janne Koukkanen in London. If Buffalo gets Skinner extended, this might be a bad, bad trade for Carolina.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Buffalo has quietly had a pretty damn good off season. That said, their team still isn't close to a playoff team.

Reactions: 780il

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Problem with Versteeg is that he's been fed strong ozone starts in his past few NHL seasons... and I think a player that doesn't depend so much on a strong offensive zone push would be a better option for a bottom 6 type of forward addition.

Well that kind of comes down to expectations. If you’re giving him a contract representative of the 44 point pace he scored at 2 years ago, you’re definitely going to be disappointed when you plug him into the bottom 6. But for the right price, I don’t think he’s a bad option

That return for Carolina is... underwhelming to say the least. Good job Buffalo

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Buffalo has quietly had a pretty damn good off season. That said, their team still isn't close to a playoff team.

I think Mittelstadt is going to have to turn into something pretty special or else Eichel is going to be dragging a whole lot of nothing behind him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Do they really need a prospect like Pu though? The Canes are pretty stocked in terms of quality F prospects. I think the coveted him because he put up numbers with Janne Koukkanen in London. If Buffalo gets Skinner extended, this might be a bad, bad trade for Carolina.
Buffalo needed to include a contract.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
So, looking at the Skinner trade shows us that Pacioretty isnt valued very high. Being older he should get an even worse return. Should we jump on this opportunity?

Lucic + 1st + Jones + Caggiula
For
Pacioretty + Lehkonen

Lines:
Nuge-Mcdavid-X
Pacioretty-Draisaitl-Rieder
Lehkonen-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Looks pretty good to me.

Reactions: McDaddy

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So let me get this straight: Skinner apparently refused to waive his NTC for a whole bunch of teams earlier in the year, and now he waives it to go to Buffalo?

WTF?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think teams also weren't getting fooled by that 37g 63p season.

He's been a 50 point defensive disaster the other six of the last seven years.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So let me get this straight: Skinner apparently refused to waive his NTC for a whole bunch of teams earlier in the year, and now he waives it to go to Buffalo?

WTF?

Maybe he wants to get in on the ground floor of a "started from the bottom... now we're here... started from the bottom now the whole team f***ing here" type of upswing.

No place to go but up if you go to a team in 31st.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Maybe he wants to get in on the ground floor of a "started from the bottom... now we're here... started from the bottom now the whole team ****ing here" type of upswing.

No place to go but up if you go to a team in 31st.
I can only really think of two possibilities:

1. Proximity to other big cities

2. He wants to play in a low pressure environment

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
For those asking for Brouwer, what does he bring that Kassian can't?

Neither are outstanding defensively, and I think putting that leash on either of them limits their effectiveness. (Asking them to play a defensive role)

With Hansen signed in the KHL, I'd be targetting Winnik. Rieder helps, but this team needs one more front line PK'er. Upshall doesn't quite cover that, maybe Chimera could, as his speed is still there; Stempniak could be an option, if you trust he's healthy; Wingels was a favourite of TMac in SJ if I remember correctly.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Not even good cold cuts.

That bologna looking crap with the macaroni and olives blended into it.

Macaroni and Cheese loaf and Olive loaf have gone into many a fine nourishing and sustaining sandwich over the decades. A team should be so lucky to have their players turn out as fulfilling as a good Olive loaf.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
For those asking for Brouwer, what does he bring that Kassian can't?

Neither are outstanding defensively, and I think putting that leash on either of them limits their effectiveness. (Asking them to play a defensive role)

With Hansen signed in the KHL, I'd be targetting Winnik. Rieder helps, but this team needs one more front line PK'er. Upshall doesn't quite cover that, maybe Chimera could, as his speed is still there; Stempniak could be an option, if you trust he's healthy; Wingels was a favourite of TMac in SJ if I remember correctly.

I'm surprised Winnik hasn't got a contract with a team looking for a solid bottom 6 forward.

My assumption is that he's not looking for yet another minimum salary NHL contract and if that's the best he can get, maybe he'll head to Europe and try his luck over there.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed, but in a perfect world its nice to have players capable of filling that specific role. An injury to McDavid, Draisaitl of RNH because of our insistence to use them while a man down would be severely detrimental to our season. Brouwer was a primary PK forward for the Flames last season.

Brodziak - Brouwer
Strome - Rieder
McDavid - RNH

That would be a preferable PK setup IMO.

Brouwer might have been a primary PK forward for the Flames last year, but he had and Stajan were the worst on the team in GA/60 while on the PK.

And plenty of teams use their best players on the PK. It's a minor risk you tend to need to take in order to have your best chances at winning.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Brouwer would only make sense if Kassian is being traded to clear cap space. They had very similar seasons last year, but Kassian was better in 2016-17 and is six years younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad