Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Adam Larsson for 3-4 years at 3.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I'd love to add Getzlaf if his contract was a reasonable one.
I’m too lazy to look it up be he might be UFA. Pretty sure Staal is, both of them won cups when they were young and could provide some depth scoring. I think we really need one of those guys on forward and D. The impact Smith had as a goalie illustrates these guys respond well to a veteran voice.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’m too lazy to look it up be he might be UFA. Pretty sure Staal is, both of them won cups when they were young and could provide some depth scoring. I think we really need one of those guys on forward and D. The impact Smith had as a goalie illustrates these guys respond well to a veteran voice.

Getz is an UFA.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But you want him to coach the Oilers? He hasn't won anything (like the guy you want to fire)!

I didn't see either passivity or loss of passion by that team against the Oilers. They hit a skid came out of it walloping the Leafs to end the season and then gritted a 4 and out sweep. He's enjoyed long tenures everywhere except the often panicky Leafs market. I'm a big fan of Paul Maurice as a coach. But sorry to tell you Tippett's not going anywhere. Inheriting a loser team, the Oiler have improved to be a playoff team each year Tippett's coached them. The Oiler way before was to go spin cycle with rotating coaches, instability and systemic losing.
No, I don't want him to coach the Oilers. It was a prediction, not a wish.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Will Seattle entering the UFA market and spending tens of millions of dollars single handedly jack up the prices this year? Did Vegas create a UFA contract price spike when they entered? Is this a bad year for Edmonton to have/try to spend UFA dollars in terms of long-term contract values?

Vegas UFA signings were mostly low dollar guys like Brad Hunt. First off it was a brutally weak FA class that year as teams locked up anyone and everyone of any value. Moreover, Vegas came in a an expansion team with few expectations. They would likely have been viewed as a poor destination for any high end UFA looking to join a winner so the few dcent UFA's left would not have been all that keen to go there.

This time is different though. Vegas' almost immediate success will probably mean that players will take a chance on Seattle. Plus, unlike 2017, the current finacial situation would mean that a small number of very good players probably do hit the UFA market. Seattle would be able to outbid most teams for one or two of these guys.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Penguins are in a pretty damn tight cap situation next season. I wonder if a guy like Zucker or Guentzel could be shaken loose. Burke and Hextall might be looking to shake it up after a disappointing performance.
These are two very different players in terms of value. Zucker had a very mediocre season this year and last. With two years left at $5.5M at age 29 he's not going to be worth all that much. Guentzel on the other hand was over a ppg with 23 goals in 56 games after 20 in 39 last year and 40 the year before. He would cost you an arm and a leg to get, but he might be worth it if you could somehow pry him away. But I don't see why Pittsburgh would move him. With Crosby, Letang and Malkin aging they are probably in a win now mode. To get them to think about Guentzel you are probably talking about Bouchard/Holloway, 1st + something significant to start the conversation.

A guy that would help if you could make a deal would be Carter.

Reactions: Spawn

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Trade for Crosby, sign Ovi

BOOM.
Ovi is actually an interesting name. I would assume the chances of him not resigning with Washington are slim but if he ever hits the UFA market I could actually see him liking the idea of playing with McDavid and Leon. It would be fun to think of a pp with McDavd having both Ovi and Leon as one timer options.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Holland mentioned re-signing Devin Shore or did I mis-hear?

Never been a fan due to his horrid 5v5 numbers but he brought energy. On the mishap goal in game 4 from the Bear giveaway, he overcommitted a check that left Scheifele wide open for the goal.

I kept thinking in OT that with his fitness level and overall energy he had left - man if only he had hands, he would have ended OT.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Vegas UFA signings were mostly low dollar guys like Brad Hunt. First off it was a brutally weak FA class that year as teams locked up anyone and everyone of any value. Moreover, Vegas came in a an expansion team with few expectations. They would likely have been viewed as a poor destination for any high end UFA looking to join a winner so the few dcent UFA's left would not have been all that keen to go there.

This time is different though. Vegas' almost immediate success will probably mean that players will take a chance on Seattle. Plus, unlike 2017, the current finacial situation would mean that a small number of very good players probably do hit the UFA market. Seattle would be able to outbid most teams for one or two of these guys.

Weirdly, players were lining up for Vegas even before the team had played a single game. Guys who were non-UFAs were telling their agents they'd be interested in going there. You would find this in media reports, but it's true. The tax situation itself was a huge draw. I'm not sure if there is the same desire to go to Seattle. Obviously, the tax situation isn't a factor.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Weirdly, players were lining up for Vegas even before the team had played a single game. Guys who were non-UFAs were telling their agents they'd be interested in going there. You would find this in media reports, but it's true. The tax situation itself was a huge draw. I'm not sure if there is the same desire to go to Seattle. Obviously, the tax situation isn't a factor.
When you say the tax situation is not a factor what do you mean?

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Never been a fan due to his horrid 5v5 numbers but he brought energy. On the mishap goal in game 4 from the Bear giveaway, he overcommitted a check that left Scheifele wide open for the goal.

I kept thinking in OT that with his fitness level and overall energy he had left - man if only he had hands, he would have ended OT.

I think re-signing Shore would be a good idea. He'll never be an offensive threat, but like Archibald he works hard, gets to tough areas and makes smart plays. For under $1M, we could do a lot worse, and if we're moving on from some of our PK players, may be a good idea to keep one or two on cheap deals.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Nuges presser had an interesting tidbit. Said he loves being an Oiler, was always his plan to stay an Oiler, and was proud of being an Oiler. Need to find a way to keep him, just need to find the right price. UFA options on the market, won’t have the same loilty.

I don't know, the numbers don't lie, he fell off a lot. Those contract numbers need to be significantly lower in both price and years, and for certain no trade protections. I guess we'll see how much he wants to stay when they talk turkey.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Thoughts on a trade for Buchnevich?

2021 1st + 2022 2nd + Samoroukov + Kassian for Buchnevich (signed at 6M x 6 years)

Might be overvaluing him but I dont know.

Look into signing Joel Armia for the 3rd line and run:

Buchnevich - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Drai - Yamo
Kahun - Mcleod - Armia

If we buy out Kosko + Neal we would still have about $10M in cap space if we resigned Mike Smith at $1.5M and added a different goalie at around $3.5M.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I like Shore as a place holder. If no one can take the job from him then I rather have him in there than a rookie that isn't NHL ready.

If Shore continues to struggle and we have no better options then we could look at a trade mid-season to either replace him or maybe bump down the guy that place above him.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Crosby would be amazing, but he’s retiring a Penguin.

I want some veteran that’s won a cup before, even if they’re a bit over the hill. McDavid is a good captain but he hasn’t really had a real leader to lean on or to mentor him early on. I bet he could use a Getzlaf, Staal, someone like that in the playoffs.

He’ll figure it out eventually on his own but having a teammate that’s been in your shoes before has to be huge. Crosby was surrounded by vets like Recchi, Guerin, Roberts, Lemieux, etc. He had a bratty side to him and I bet those mentors helped him become the great leader he is now.

I will never get over the illegal deal that allowed Pitts to keep Crosby for a comically low number. They should have made Pitts re-structure that deal. Doesn't really affect the Oilers, but it just goes to show how bush-league the NHL is.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I want them to take a run at Hamilton as well, but there is zero chance he leaves such a good situation in Carolina.
Depends not many players get to test FA and it isnt like Carolina has a cup contender in my opinion. He could get paid and find a better situation for himself.

We easily could chase him if we bought out Neal and Koski this offseason.

The issue with some of the big names out there that we could technically afford is we would need to prove to them we are close to being a contender. For Hamilton I think it would take us solidifying our forward corps and landing a good goalie.

Edit: Creeping the Rangers board someone was proposing a package with Chytil or Buch for Lavoie + from us. That has the makings of a very solid deal (fleecing) for us in my opinion.

Reactions: 780il

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I will never get over the illegal deal that allowed Pitts to keep Crosby for a comically low number. They should have made Pitts re-structure that deal. Doesn't really affect the Oilers, but it just goes to show how bush-league the NHL is.

What illegal deal? There was no limit on term back then. And if he retires prior to the deal expiring there are cap recapture penalties put in well after he signed the deal.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
If Jones was taken in the expansion draft what would people think of looking at Jamie Oleksiak to fill the 2LD spot for next season.

Nurse - Bear
Oleksiak - Larsson
Russell - Bouchard
Lagesson

When Russell expires after next season add Broberg in there and likely pair Larsson Broberg and Bouchard Oleksiak.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What illegal deal? There was no limit on term back then. And if he retires prior to the deal expiring there are cap recapture penalties put in well after he signed the deal.

Exactly. The rules at the time allowed it, and if there was anyone who got that long of term that you'd expect to play the entire term and be worth it, it was Crosby. It wasn't one of the joke contracts that intentionally buried three or four years at the minimum legal amount when they'd likely be retired. Sid will be 37 and turning 38 a month later when his runs out. I suspect he'll still be playing and maybe even gets another contract after it.

Ovechkin is turning 36 as a UFA and teams are likely willing to pay close to what he's already making. Gambling money on guys this level isn't salary cap shenanigans, it's a good investment that should have remained for the truly elilte players in the league but people abused on lesser players and the league had to stop it.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad