Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART7 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 2 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Oilers had toughest schedule in nhl last year for a major part of last year. But I do agree our schedule couldng be easier

5-1 is impressive but not outstanding. 4-2 should have been expected. 7-3 over first 10 games as well

Every team we've played so far probably looked at their schedule and thought, "there's an easy game" when they saw "vs Oilers". When you've been at the bottom as long as we have, every game is tough.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The expansion draft is a lot of smoke and no fire.... the Oilers can only lose 1 player... same as any other team.

Make the team as strong as possible and don't worry about the expansion draft.

In a worst case scenario Chia can very likely make a trade with picks/prospects to keep Vegas away from a certain player if they REALLY want to protect that player from being picked in the draft.

The expansion draft is essentially a lot of talk about nothing.

Ideally I'd have the Oilers having MANY great assets exposed in the draft... which means the team is in excellent shape going forward with an over abundance of good players and prospects.

Again, Vegas can only take one at most.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to pay Vegas to pass on players. They clearly intend to be competitive and are very likely to prefer the player to picks or prospects.

I think it's far from a lot of talk about nothing, but there's lots of time for teams to plan for it.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Stauffer just said he expects the Oil to keep the 3C's for at least the next 2 years.

And see, I don't like this. I don't think it's prudent cap management. You're going to turn a $6M center into either a third line checker or a winger? That's a waste of an asset and a waste of money.

It's especially silly when we know the premium young top six centers command. I'm sure a team like Columbus or Minnesota would pony up a good young defender to bring RNH on-board, and that's a bigger need for us than an elite 3C.

Trade RNH today- no later than after Vegas joins the league- and the team will better off for it.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
And see, I don't like this. I don't think it's prudent cap management. You're going to turn a $6M center into either a third line checker or a winger? That's a waste of an asset and a waste of money.

It's especially silly when we know the premium young top six centers command. I'm sure a team like Columbus or Minnesota would pony up a good young defender to bring RNH on-board, and that's a bigger need for us than an elite 3C.

Trade RNH today- no later than after Vegas joins the league- and the team will better off for it.

Disagree. Depth at C is important, Draisaitl goes down and your looking at Letestu or Lander as your #2 C

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure how easy it would be to pay Vegas to pass on players. They clearly intend to be competitive and are very likely to prefer the player to picks or prospects.

I think it's far from a lot of talk about nothing, but there's lots of time for teams to plan for it.

Vegas is not going to be competitive. They'll be a team filled of #4 d-man and teams 7th or 8th best forwards. Not to mention they're is only 23 roster spots and they'll be claiming 30 players. They'd be wise to acquire some assets either picks or prospects that will help them in the long term.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Disagree as well. To me, with the exception of McDavid, RNH is our most important forward. No reason to trade him unless we truly run into cap issues (in which case Pouliot and Fayne should be 1st out the door).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I thought the NHL was going to have a rule against this?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

And what makes you think Draisaitl will command 6M contract? He hasnt proven much yet.. if he doesnt get 50pts this season he would be reupped for far less than 6M.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Vegas is not going to be competitive. They'll be a team filled of #4 d-man and teams 7th or 8th best forwards. Not to mention they're is only 23 roster spots and they'll be claiming 30 players. They'd be wise to acquire some assets either picks or prospects that will help them in the long term.

I didn't say they'll be competitive, but that's the intention. The NHL has said that's the reasoning behind stricter expansion draft rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad