Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART7 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 2 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If anything, Scrivens should be throwing the old Oilers defence under the bus.

No. Scrivens shouldn't throw anyone under the bus. He is and was garbage.

That doesn't excuse the Oilers defense of the time also being garbage, but if you aren't holding up your own end of the deal you have no right to say anything.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
lol Stauffer reading all his hate mail.

Someone phone him about the trade rumour!!!

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Scrivens was amazing.

article_ecd7f3f7-1f01-443d-b8c5-956921aed708.jpg

A thoroughly mediocre goalie, but one of the more interesting personalities out there.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If anything, Scrivens should be throwing the old Oilers defence under the bus.

I think Scrivens did that a lot while he was here. He said himself one of his failings here was being too concerned with calling out his teammates and their mistakes and not focusing on his own game. And Eakins definitely gave Scrivens a lot to complain about with how our system helped the other team create grade A chances.

Talbot is definitely a much more modest team-oriented guy. The self-love is very strong in Scrivezina.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
without blinking, yeah.

I agree . It isn't that hard to sign a vet RW for a couple of years then move on as age catches up and sign another stop gap . Hopefully our 1st are late enough that they get years in the AHL to develop , this lets us build up a good depth of young players to step in as we let players go due to cap

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
ftr I did text OilersNow asking about the recent trade rumours that McDuul reported. I'm sure I'm not the only one that did.

We'll see if they make the show.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Stauffer just said he expects the Oil to keep the 3C's for at least the next 2 years.

Also touched on 7-3-1 protection for the expansion draft.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
and then bob says "should the oilers protect letestu"

LOL

I wouldn't protect Letestu but I have to admit he's really impressed me after his year last year. He looks faster and him and Lander have been key on our PK and winning faceoffs. They've also created scoring chances 5 on 5 and have added in great defensive play. Very impressed with Letestu and Lander (so far....)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
For those saying that Chia should stand pat and see what this team does before making another big move since they are doing well and rolling right now... let's look at what they have done over these first 6 games:

There's a site some are likely familiar with:

hockey-reference.com

On there they rate each team according to their SRS (simple rating system) that takes into account the strength of schedule for each team as well as the goals differentials in the games each team has played.

In short they try to come up with a rating system to help equalize the rankings based on the quality of opposition each team plays and how well they've done against good/bad teams.

The Oilers have a SRS rating right now of -.06 which is 15th best in the NHL. That's basically dead in the middle of the pack. That takes into account that they have had the easiest schedule of any NHL team so far... SOS (strength of schedule rating) of -1.23.

The team is winning which is obviously good... but their opponents overall have been weak so far and their schedule has been the easiest in the NHL over the first 6 games.

They are an average team right now (hopefully trending further upwards)... but let's not get delusions of grandeur that they are a top NHL team right now just because they are the first team to crack 10 pts.

They still need to improve this roster... especially defensively imo and any reasonable opportunity to do so by Chia should be taken as once this team starts to play tougher competition and the schedule starts to get more difficult... this team will almost assuredly slip from the lofty heights they are at right now.

Calgary 30th SRS home
Calgary 30th SRS road
Buffalo 20th SRS home
Carolina 29th SRS home
St Louis 11th SRS home
Winnipeg 27th SRS road

It's basically been as soft a schedule to start a season as you can have.. which is good as this team needs to get some chemistry going and wins are a fantastic way to help bond and gel... but the reality is that this team is likely no better than average with still a lot of flaws and work to do to become above average... especially defensively.

I'm optimistic as I've said several times so far this season but they can absolutely use another solid top 4 dman like a Lindholm/Trouba to keep this team on the road to improvement and a playoff spot.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I wouldn't protect Letestu but I have to admit he's really impressed me after his year last year. He looks faster and him and Lander have been key on our PK and winning faceoffs. They've also created scoring chances 5 on 5 and have added in great defensive play. Very impressed with Letestu and Lander (so far....)

he's playing like a good to great 4c

you don't protect a 4c though

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Yeah, I'm a fan of Letestu right now. Guy is playing really well. I still don't want to see him on the power play, but other than that I'm pleased.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
For those saying that Chia should stand pat and see what this team does before making another big move since they are doing well and rolling right now... let's look at what they have done over these first 6 games:

hockey-reference.com

On there they rate each team according to their SRS (simple rating system) that takes into account the strength of schedule for each team as well as the goals differentials in the games each team has played.

In short they try to come up with a rating system to help equalize the rankings based on the quality of opposition each team plays and how well they've done against good/bad teams.

The Oilers have a SRS rating right now of -.06 which is 15th best in the NHL. That's basically dead in the middle of the pack. That takes into account that they have had the easiest schedule of any NHL team so far... SOS (strength of schedule rating) of -1.23.

The team is winning which is obviously good... but their opponents overall have been weak so far and their schedule has been the easiest in the NHL over the first 6 games.

They are an average team right now (hopefully trending further upwards)... but let's not get delusions of grandeur that they are a top NHL team right now just because they are the first team to crack 10 pts.

They still need to improve this roster... especially defensively imo and any reasonable opportunity to do so by Chia should be taken as once this team starts to play tougher competition and the schedule starts to get more difficult... this team will almost assuredly slip from the lofty heights they are at right now.

Calgary 30th SRS home
Calgary 30th SRS road
Buffalo 20th SRS home
Carolina 29th SRS home
St Louis 11th SRS home
Winnipeg 27th SRS road

It's basically been as soft a schedule to start a season as you can have.. which is good as this team needs to get some chemistry going and wins are a fantastic way to help bond and gel... but the reality is that this team is likely no better than average with still a lot of flaws and work to do to become above average... especially defensively.

I'm optimistic as I've said several times so far this season but they can absolutely use another solid top 4 dman like a Lindholm/Trouba to keep this team on the road to improvement and a playoff spot.

Yeah I don't think many here are arguing that we shouldn't make a move, but making a move that doesn't improve us at the same time doesn't make much sense. That being said, a Nurse + 1st for Lindholm does help immediately, but doesn't address our toughness in the back, same with a Klefbom+ for Lindholm but it's a bit more lateral than improving. Now if Chia could get him for picks and prospects or a forward we can live without (Pouliot or Pakarinen) then I'm all for making a big move. It's depending on what we have to give up. At this point, the fact the organization LOVES Nurse and McDavid and him are BFF's, I doubt they move him. Klefbom I can't see leaving too because Chia has been all over the fact we have 2 #2 Dman at less than 5M and it wouldn't help us down the road if we get into cap hell.

I think Chia has an offer out for Anaheim and is waiting for them to hook it. If he can't get Lindholm, we wait for the next big fish to come by.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

hockey-reference.com

Calgary 30th SRS home
Calgary 30th SRS road
Buffalo 20th SRS home
Carolina 29th SRS home
St Louis 11th SRS home
Winnipeg 27th SRS road

Oilers had toughest schedule in nhl last year for a major part of last year. But I do agree our schedule couldng be easier

5-1 is impressive but not outstanding. 4-2 should have been expected. 7-3 over first 10 games as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad