Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART7 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 2 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
A decent winger is relatively easy to pick up... this season the Oilers could have had a 40 point winger for free with a guy like Parenteau on waivers.

Centres and dmen are always at a premium... but decent mid-grade wingers are relatively easy to acquire.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Makes sense to me because if you lose Pouliot or Maroon you have..?.... and if Davidson is takin you have Russell.

Russell is a UFA and could go to whoever offers the most cash. Having Caggiula step in for Pouliot is a lesser hit than losing Davidson IMO.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Makes sense to me because if you lose Pouliot or Maroon you have..?.... and if Davidson is takin you have Russell.

So Nurse + McDavid can't be taken - what about Drai? Do we need to protect him? I just assumed no since he was drafted after Nurse but let's say we do.

Protect 7 Forwards

Lucic
Eberle
Nuge
Drai
Maroon
Pouliot
?

3 D
Larsson
Klefbom
Sekera

1G
Talbot

who's the ? though... Kassian?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think Scrivens did that a lot while he was here. He said himself one of his failings here was being too concerned with calling out his teammates and their mistakes and not focusing on his own game. And Eakins definitely gave Scrivens a lot to complain about with how our system helped the other team create grade A chances.

Talbot is definitely a much more modest team-oriented guy. The self-love is very strong in Scrivezina.

Yeah...

I don't get the Scrivens bashing either. He was all about accountability... his and his teammates. He bailed guys out nightly until the wheels fell off. He did so behind a VERY porous D and with a coach that was providing an "experimental" system.

That team needed some grown-ups and Scrivens was one of the few. Unfortunately he maybe didn't have the physical talent to hang in this league into his thirties, but that doesn't mean he wasn't an astute and intelligent participant in this game.

And he also kept his mouth pretty much shut until he was cast aside in the AHL last year when we acquired Talbot and Nilsson. I'd have been annoyed too. Nilsson was a complete NHL experiment that failed. Meanwhile Scrivens was a generally positive influence on the team who must have been KILLING for a new coach and competent D core. He was the #1 goalie the previous year and they didn't even give him a single game to try and compete with Talbot (that's one thing, and understandable) OR Nilsson (who wasn't even a competent backup).

He'll be coach material someday, for all of the good personal traits and intelligence he brought to the ice.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The expansion draft is a lot of smoke and no fire.... the Oilers can only lose 1 player... same as any other team.

Make the team as strong as possible and don't worry about the expansion draft.

In a worst case scenario Chia can very likely make a trade with picks/prospects to keep Vegas away from a certain player if they REALLY want to protect that player from being picked in the draft.

The expansion draft is essentially a lot of talk about nothing.

Ideally I'd have the Oilers having MANY great assets exposed in the draft... which means the team is in excellent shape going forward with an over abundance of good players and prospects.

Again, Vegas can only take one at most.

earthstone

Jan 5, 2016
Would any of you deal poliout and a 3rd to the Isle for Kulemin? I like the hitting factor and not a fan of polio in top 9.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
The expansion draft is a lot of smoke and no fire.... the Oilers can only lose 1 player... same as any other team.

Make the team as strong as possible and don't worry about the expansion draft.

In a worst case scenario Chia can very likely make a trade with picks/prospects to keep Vegas away from a certain player if they REALLY want to protect that player from being picked in the draft.

The expansion draft is essentially a lot of talk about nothing.

Ideally I'd have the Oilers having MANY great assets exposed in the draft... which means the team is in excellent shape going forward with an over abundance of good players and prospects.

Again, Vegas can only take one at most.

My thoughts exactly.

People are blowing the expansion draft out of proportions.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
With regards to Russell after the season if he stays a ufa till after expansion draft Vegas can't touch him right ?

earthstone

Jan 5, 2016
The pick is on the wrong side imo, and it should be a 2nd[/QUOTE
I like the hitting and pk factor Kulemin brings. Same age and deal basically. I think.pouliot is a defensive liability. Doesn't fit our top 6. I like Kulemin in our bottom 6. Does anyone agree? I think we can afford a 3rd. Deal doesn't seem to make much traction with isle fans. So doubt they will give anything back.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
only if he wants to sign there

and I thought the deal was he wanted to be in Alberta
Well Oilers should have a wink wink with him that we will resign him but after the expansion draft :naughty: Really like Russell he blocked a snipe against the Jets that went unnoticed and he plays a steady game and skates well.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I like the hitting and pk factor Kulemin brings. Same age and deal basically. I think.pouliot is a defensive liability. Doesn't fit our top 6. I like Kulemin in our bottom 6. Does anyone agree? I think we can afford a 3rd. Deal doesn't seem to make much traction with isle fans. So doubt they will give anything back.
I watch Islanders all the time and Kulemin game is nothing now then it was in Toronto a big no ty.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

If I'm moving Pouliot I don't want cap back

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Would any of you deal poliout and a 3rd to the Isle for Kulemin? I like the hitting factor and not a fan of polio in top 9.

No that's terrible. Also Kulemin didn't want to play here when he was a UFA, Pou did. Pouliot is also a better and more consistent player the last few seasons.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Well Oilers should have a wink wink with him that we will resign him but after the expansion draft :naughty: Really like Russell he blocked a snipe against the Jets that went unnoticed and he plays a steady game and skates well.

if he keeps his play up I'm right there with ya

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

No. Pouliot's not a defensive liability and he's much better than Kulemin.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
No that's terrible. Also Kulemin didn't want to play here when he was a UFA, Pou did. Pouliot is also a better and more consistent player the last few seasons.

I'm not sure if he didn't want to play here, him and Grabovski were looking for a landing spot where they could stay together, NYI happened to be that place. That said no way in hell I'd do Pouliot for Kulemin let alone adding something back NYI's way, I'd want half of Kulemin's salary eaten up before a staight across swap even became somewhat palatable.

earthstone

Jan 5, 2016
I'm just thinking a guy like Kulemin with his hitting, pk abilities, and offense abilities of 4th liner. He is a past 30goal scorer. This attributes would do the team better then poliout taking top 9 sometimes 6 minutes up. We have enough talent that can move up. Salary is the same. Kulemin has 1 less year on contract I believe. Just my two cents.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I'm just thinking a guy like Kulemin with his hitting, pk abilities, and offense abilities of 4th liner. He is a past 30goal scorer. This attributes would do the team better then poliout taking top 9 sometimes 6 minutes up. We have enough talent that can move up. Salary is the same. Kulemin has 1 less year on contract I believe. Just my two cents.

I agree there, which is why I wouldn't want Kulemin taking up a spot that somebody in Bakersfield could take

earthstone

Jan 5, 2016
I agree there, which is why I wouldn't want Kulemin taking up a spot that somebody in Bakersfield could take

I agree to a point. But am thinking of a way to rid the Oilers of pouliot to strengthen team needs. Hitting and pk abilities are gonna be needed come spring time.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

That was what, 6 years ago? He hasn't scored more than 15 and a high of 31 points since then. Benoit has put up much better numbers with the Oilers in 55-60 games played per year than Kulemin has in 82 games played with the Iles.

The only thing I like about that deal is the fact Kulemin's deal ends with McDavid's ELC. I don't think the Oilers should be looking to downgrade their speed in the top 9. If anything they need to get a little faster.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
if he keeps his play up I'm right there with ya

I'm not a fan of signing Russell to anything longer than a two-year deal around what he makes today even if he offers to stay on the market until after the expansion draft. Contending teams can't afford to splurge on luxuries like #5 D, and that's what he would be here if either a) Nurse continues to develop b) an actual right-hander is found.

We have plenty of cheap depth in the way of ELCs to dress on the bottom pairing, and so long as we keep finding Davidsons and Simpsons and Musils, that trend will continue. Save our pennies for deadline upgrades and big-ticket deals like McDavid and Draisaitl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad