Speculation: Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Speculation, 2019-20 - Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Here’s hoping this was just a poorly translated, out of context, quote. I still don’t think the Jets trade Laine, even if he’s annoyed with usage. If Laine signs a two year bridge, I would guess that either the Jets have won the cup or Pomo is fired by the time that contract ends.

Listen to the interview with Wheeler today. He was in full support mode of Patrik. There's nothing wrong here (other than Maurice, but that's another story).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was still pretty clear that Laine was calling out the Jets for not playing him on the top line, and impeding his individual production by playing him with Little.

Yabut - it gets twisted into something much more. A lot of players complain about their usage at one point or another in their careers. It doesn't = wanting to be traded, or anything else beyond what it says.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yabut - it gets twisted into something much more. A lot of players complain about their usage at one point or another in their careers. It doesn't = wanting to be traded, or any thing else beyond what it says.

As Wheeler said in his interview today, you want players to want more. You don't want them to be content to just play where they are, you want them to want to move up the lineup.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Listen to the interview with Wheeler today. He was in full support mode of Patrik. There's nothing wrong here (other than Maurice, but that's another story).

Yes indeed! That’s awesome to see. Hopefully, these contracts get signed soon so we can start focusing on the season

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think he needs to play on the top line but I am kind of less convinced that he will actually sign. I have this feeling that a trade will happen

I have mixed feelings about that. Laine is a talent that won't be replaced by any trade. But the right return makes us a better team, at least in the short term.

Reactions: Total Cure

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yabut - it gets twisted into something much more. A lot of players complain about their usage at one point or another in their careers. It doesn't = wanting to be traded, or any thing else beyond what it says.
It's mostly the intense Laine fans that advocate for a Laine trade. I don't think Laine is angling for a trade, but his agent and he are clearly taking a line in negotiations that project how much better he could be with more time in a top line role. I think it's mostly about the frustration of the lengthy and difficult negotiation process. I just think Laine should be counseled to keep these thoughts to himself and let the negotiations play out behind closed doors. That would be in everyone's better interests.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have mixed feelings about that. Laine is a talent that won't be replaced by any trade. But the right return makes us a better team, at least in the short term.
Cap space is another key consideration. It can be weaponized in a variety of ways. If the Jets don't see themselves as a Cup contender this season, I could see various ways that they could restructure their roster and cap situation with a trade of Connor and/or Laine.

I really think the Buff situation might play into it. If Buff ends up missing a lot or all of this season, I could see the Jets using this season to retool and restructure things, get a good haul in next season's draft, and continuing to build around a nice young core for an extended competitive window.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's mostly the intense Laine fans that advocate for a Laine trade. I don't think Laine is angling for a trade, but his agent and he are clearly taking a line in negotiations that project how much better he could be with more time in a top line role. I think it's mostly about the frustration of the lengthy and difficult negotiation process. I just think Laine should be counseled to keep these thoughts to himself and let the negotiations play out behind closed doors. That would be in everyone's better interests.

Yup. I like that Laine will speak his mind - but negotiation time is time to clam up. If you don't want to spew BS, say nothing.

Reactions: cbcwpg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Like it's always been? Anyone who thinks Chevy will start to let players go before Maurice is out to lunch. He knows the talent he's drafted and assembled, if the team isn't performing to standard and the players don't seem to be buying in, Maurice goes, simple as that.

Personally I think the cracks started to show last year with Maurice not getting the same level of buy in from his team. This is pretty typical in pro sports, he'll be the one to pay the price, as usual.

Makes you wonder why he was brought then. It seems that there are still issues between some of the players and the coach. Does anyone really see things mending well especially if the team gets off to a slow start due to all the change on the backend?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As Wheeler said in his interview today, you want players to want more. You don't want them to be content to just play where they are, you want them to want to move up the lineup.

Which is interesting, since it's most likely the guy Wheeler is willing to go thru a wall for, that is keeping Laine from moving up the lineup. Or if some rumors are true, it's actually Wheeler that is keeping Laine off his line.

I would like to believe that it's Laine that is keeping Laine off the top line for 5 on 5 play, and one day when the coach and GM think he is ready for that role, he will get it. But, what do I know.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Maybe we can see:

Laine - Little - Wheeler > Little and Wheeler have good chemistry (in the past) and Laine / Wheeler are gold on the PP

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers > Ehlers gets top 6 minutes with a couple snipers...helpw with moving the puck out of the D zone and into the O zone

Reactions: Gil Fisher

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Connor resigns soon. His value has been set by these other deals.

Laine wants 10+ a year and I think he feels he deserves it.

Based on his first two years an argument can be made for it imo.

He clearly is basing any long term agreement on those years. The Jets are using the poor third to try to bring it down.

I still think the bridge is the way to go even if it's at the $8 million that you reported earlier.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Based on his first two years an argument can be made for it imo.

He clearly is basing any long term agreement on those years. The Jets are using the poor third to try to bring it down.

I still think the bridge is the way to go even if it's at the $8 million that you reported earlier.
Let's wait and see what Point, Rantanen and Tkachuk get. He slots in below Point and Rantanen. That'll set good benchmarks for Laine. Boeser and Konecny have already given some good benchmarks for Connor.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Both of them? Not a snowball's chance.

There would obviously have to be something else coming back from Tampa to make the salaries work, maybe a defenceman and/or a middle six winger. Scheifele and Point would be among the best center pairs in the league imo.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Maybe we can see:

Laine - Little - Wheeler > Little and Wheeler have good chemistry (in the past) and Laine / Wheeler are gold on the PP

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers > Ehlers gets top 6 minutes with a couple snipers...helpw with moving the puck out of the D zone and into the O zone

Honestly that works or you can swap Laine with either winger on the other line. I think most agree if you just split up 55-26 it will improve the team by making a better second line. Even if Wheeler takes a step back any line combo you come up with after splitting him and Scheifele up is better then the current status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad