Speculation: Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Speculation, 2019-20 - Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The thing about the 18 goal month...why would you break that line up after that kind of domination?

:laugh: Exactly. I thought of that too. But I'm just trying to look at it from Laine's POV.

When I read stuff like this, that player A is unhappy with this or that aspect of how he is being treated, I wonder about the communication between coaches and management. I think that especially with very young players it should be getting spelled out to them as they go along. They still may disagree but they should be very clear on why things are the way they are.

Mau should have said to Patrik, why would I break up that line? Maybe he did. Maybe Patrik reacted exactly the wrong way thinking that if scoring too much is keeping him off the top line he will score less. Sounds silly but 20 YO aren't known for their common sense. He is still a kid.

Who knows exactly what goes on inside his head? But I can see how he can feel that he should be on the top line.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I remember another high skilled Jet calling his coach out for the way he was used...

"I've had my ups and downs during my first three pro seasons," admits Hawerchuk, who has compiled season point totals of 103, 91 and 102. "But, a lot of my problems have been team oriented and I don't think I'd change too many personal things I have done since the beginning."

Hawerchuk's moral and technical battles with former Jets' coach Tom Watt are legendary. A strict and sometimes stubborn disciplinarian, Watt rarely saw eye to eye with his talented centre-ice man during the two-and-a-half seasons they were together. Their stormy relationship reached a boiling point early last season and it contributed to Hawerchuk's slow start and Watt's subsequent dismissal.

"I don't like to harp too much on the Tom Watt situation but it did affect my play early last season," Hawerchuk says. "He called all the shots and you either did it his way, or no way. Unfortunately, his system detracted from my strengths and we were never on the best of terms. I suppose we can play better defensively as a team but I don't think we have to change our offensive approach too much."
"When you have a good offensive team, it should be tougher for your opponents to score," he surmises. "The classic example is Edmonton. The Oilers have control of the puck so much of the time that it's tough to run up a huge score on them. No team can put the puck in the net unless it has the puck a lot. Scoring is our strength and I think Barry Long realizes it. His system is geared towards our abilities."

Player with talent thinks he's not being used properly.... solution... fire the coach and get someone who uses the player properly.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I remember another high skilled Jet calling his coach out for the way he was used...

"I've had my ups and downs during my first three pro seasons," admits Hawerchuk, who has compiled season point totals of 103, 91 and 102. "But, a lot of my problems have been team oriented and I don't think I'd change too many personal things I have done since the beginning."

Hawerchuk's moral and technical battles with former Jets' coach Tom Watt are legendary. A strict and sometimes stubborn disciplinarian, Watt rarely saw eye to eye with his talented centre-ice man during the two-and-a-half seasons they were together. Their stormy relationship reached a boiling point early last season and it contributed to Hawerchuk's slow start and Watt's subsequent dismissal.

"I don't like to harp too much on the Tom Watt situation but it did affect my play early last season," Hawerchuk says. "He called all the shots and you either did it his way, or no way. Unfortunately, his system detracted from my strengths and we were never on the best of terms. I suppose we can play better defensively as a team but I don't think we have to change our offensive approach too much."
"When you have a good offensive team, it should be tougher for your opponents to score," he surmises. "The classic example is Edmonton. The Oilers have control of the puck so much of the time that it's tough to run up a huge score on them. No team can put the puck in the net unless it has the puck a lot. Scoring is our strength and I think Barry Long realizes it. His system is geared towards our abilities."

Player with talent thinks he's not being used properly.... solution... fire the coach and get someone who uses the player properly.

Like it's always been? Anyone who thinks Chevy will start to let players go before Maurice is out to lunch. He knows the talent he's drafted and assembled, if the team isn't performing to standard and the players don't seem to be buying in, Maurice goes, simple as that.

Personally I think the cracks started to show last year with Maurice not getting the same level of buy in from his team. This is pretty typical in pro sports, he'll be the one to pay the price, as usual.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is an interview on CBC linked on another thread where he says Laine has fixed his lingering back issues, loves Winnipeg and wants to play here.

I hate how everyone jumps on bad news, but the good news gets glossed over.
It was still pretty clear that Laine was calling out the Jets for not playing him on the top line, and impeding his individual production by playing him with Little.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There is an interview on CBC linked on another thread where he says Laine has fixed his lingering back issues, loves Winnipeg and wants to play here.

I hate how everyone jumps on bad news, but the good news gets glossed over.
The article (translated) seems pretty damning however Laine is a querky guy, does not really answer questions/do interviews like most professional athletes. He is blunt, offbeat and avoids clichés.

On one hand it makes you cringe on the other hand I want my goal scoring phenom to think he deserves ALL the icetime and the best opportunities to score.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Here’s hoping this was just a poorly translated, out of context, quote. I still don’t think the Jets trade Laine, even if he’s annoyed with usage. If Laine signs a two year bridge, I would guess that either the Jets have won the cup or Pomo is fired by the time that contract ends.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think he needs to play on the top line but I am kind of less convinced that he will actually sign. I have this feeling that a trade will happen

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It was still pretty clear that Laine was calling out the Jets for not playing him on the top line, and impeding his individual production by playing him with Little.

He certainly wants to be able to contribute more. I don't know if I call it individual production, but even if that's what it is, that's what you want from your team, to produce more.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Like it's always been? Anyone who thinks Chevy will start to let players go before Maurice is out to lunch. He knows the talent he's drafted and assembled, if the team isn't performing to standard and the players don't seem to be buying in, Maurice goes, simple as that.

Personally I think the cracks started to show last year with Maurice not getting the same level of buy in from his team. This is pretty typical in pro sports, he'll be the one to pay the price, as usual.

Coaches have a shelf life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia