Speculation: Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Speculation, 2019-20 - Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Maybe so. Nobody is immune to personal bias. However, there was zero negativity coming from JM just as there is none from KC. The similarity between Trouba and Laine seems obvious to me. Complaining about usage, not committing to the team are both bad signs. Some of it is rumors of course but we will soon know more. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a trade request-demand shortly. Then all the alarm bells will go off.

Nothing about Laine is concrete yet though. Most everything is being based off of rumors so I’d be careful about making too many conclusions.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Nothing about Laine is concrete yet though. Most everything is being based off of rumors so I’d be careful about making too many conclusions.
I would agree. Opinions are what hockey forums are for though. We all get to share our thoughts and are free to be critical when we care to be.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I understand what you are saying buy any plan based mostly on hope is doomed to fail. IF he is blaming his poor play on his line mates it is a bad sign for the future. Lots of unknowns here that may become more clear shortly. Jets should not lose control of the process when/if they know the player wants out. They should be setting it up to get the highest return possible. Morrissey isn’t the best comparable. Trouba is, imo. I honestly hope that I am wrong though.

You are assuming the player wants out. I don't see any reason to believe that. Trouba isn't any kind of a comparable at all IMO.

You are suggesting taking a line that is destined to make him want out. It would be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

They should be setting it up to get the most out of Laine playing in Winnipeg. The best possible trade return as an alternative. A 1 year contract doesn't do either.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Doesn't that mean his next contract (still RFA) needs to be at least $8 million per year? That's the part that worries me.
I'm sure the team can walk away at any time and Laine then becomes a UFA. Or they can offer him a QO which has to be around $8 million, I think it's 85% of his last year pay.

Edit: Oh it's 100%. If he's not worth it you can walk away.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
You are assuming the player wants out. I don't see any reason to believe that. Trouba isn't any kind of a comparable at all IMO.

You are suggesting taking a line that is destined to make him want out. It would be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

They should be setting it up to get the most out of Laine playing in Winnipeg. The best possible trade return as an alternative. A 1 year contract doesn't do either.
So, we disagree. That is allowed, right? Take a valium man......

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In retrospect, I think that Trouba's earlier trade requests and comments about usage were likely his way of trying to get to play in a city that was suitable for his fiancee, and as he noted after his trade to New York he tried as best he could to not put the onus on her for his desire to get traded from Winnipeg.

Never did explain why it had to be NYR though. Why not Fla? Why not TBL? Why not NJD or NYI? Philly is a big market and is closer to his GF than NYC. There are plenty of others.

He said that her going to med school in Wpg, or somewhere close wouldn't do because he might have been traded by Wpg. Really? That's the reason for her not to go to a real med school much closer to Wpg? What if NYR trade him to Ottawa?

There was a lot of that story that did not hold together.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So, we disagree. That is allowed, right? Take a valium man......

Of course its allowed. Why would you take that tone with me? What makes you think I need medication? There was nothing insulting or disrespectful in my reply to your post.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
5v5 per 60s for pts and goals Connor and Konecny are pretty similar. Konecny slightly better in the 5v5 shot-share and goal-share (over the past 3 years). Looks like he played with Giroux and Couturier quite a bit the last 3 seasons, both being his highest teammates in TOI at 5v5. KC gets lots more opportunity on the PP and produces with better efficiency comparatively

Reactions: Aries56 and hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Konecny is good. Very good. He had better 5v5 production (goals and points per 60) than Connor over the past two seasons.

:laugh: There seems to be an echo in here.

Like KC, Konecny has had good linemates. He hasn't had the PP1 time that Connor has had. Looks to me to be at least a pretty close comparable for Connor. I would pay more for an additional year or two.

Reactions: surixon

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Of course its allowed. Why would you take that tone with me? What makes you think I need medication? There was nothing insulting or disrespectful in my reply to your post.
You are pretty aggressive in your responses. I always try to be respectful with posters and I am certainly not the most qualified poster on HF. I got that you disagreed with me. Repeating your beliefs doesn’t make you right, although you certainly might be. Having to get the last word isn’t necessary for either of us, so I will let you respond and that will be the end. Until we see how PL and TN resolve the situation. I hope that you are right as losing PL would be terrible.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You are pretty aggressive in your responses. I always try to be respectful with posters and I am certainly not the most qualified poster on HF. I got that you disagreed with me. Repeating your beliefs doesn’t make you right, although you certainly might be. Having to get the last word isn’t necessary for either of us, so I will let you respond and that will be the end. Until we see how PL and TN resolve the situation. I hope that you are right as losing PL would be terrible.

Perhaps I do come across as aggressive from behind my keyboard, IDK. It isn't always easy to get it right in writing. That's why I use the emojis quite liberally but even that doesn't always convey the right impression.

I just disagreed with your point and stated why. Nothing more.

I may be getting a little impatient with those talking as though Laine has been a behaviour problem and should be traded as a result. I haven't seen anything that suggests a problem to me - beyond the usual when a player is still without a contract when TC opens.

I can see trading him if we could get the right return - and there is a wide range of opinion on what that might be. I tend to think that doing so now would be selling low on him though.

I could see trading him if his contract demands were too high. As long as there is a palatable 2 year option, I don't see that. 2x8 is a little beyond palatable but close enough that they should be able to get something done on a 2 year deal.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine don't have a behavioural problem.

Same with Connor before, when he wasn't getting an ice time , year 1. He mentioned it so, himself. That he was not happy. It came to a point that Wheeler had to sit him down.

Now that he gets the ice time and usage he wants. He is happy.

Its unfortunate/fortunate scenario.
Jets have 2 of the best right winger in the league. The coach need to find a way to make it balance. He is obviously tilted on 1 side. Which in the end not good for the team.

And when i say balance, whats the best for the team. At same time , make all the top players happy.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Laine probably thinks like alot of us do. Thay he hasn't been givin the best opportunity to shine. I agree with him but I also agree that he hasn't fully earned it either it's kinda a catch 22 with me.

One thing I'm not confused about is that he will be the all time leading jets goals scorer if we dont f*** this up

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Laine probably thinks like alot of us do. Thay he hasn't been givin the best opportunity to shine. I agree with him but I also agree that he hasn't fully earned it either it's kinda a catch 22 with me.

One thing I'm not confused about is that he will be the all time leading jets goals scorer if we dont **** this up

I just can’t fathom Laine being so ignorant as to think that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just can’t fathom Laine being so ignorant as to think that.

I think it is pretty easy to see. Not that the explanation isn't also clear but that is not his POV.

First 2 years he accepted being lower on the depth chart. By last year he thought he deserved the top line. I'm guessing that was underscored when he had an 18 goal month.

You tell a kid he has to earn it so he goes out and scores 18 goals in a month and says, there you are, I've earned it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jalonen was on cbc this morning... Ppl are reading way 2 far in to these non direct quotes. Jalonen said Laine wants to be here. This is the problem with this site.. The finnish posters are only here cuz Laine.. Its Laine 24 7 with them.
Jalonen in damage control mode?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Jalonen was on cbc this morning... Ppl are reading way 2 far in to these non direct quotes. Jalonen said Laine wants to be here. This is the problem with this site.. The finnish posters are only here cuz Laine.. Its Laine 24 7 with them.

They come here for Laine, they stay for the good fellowship and camaraderie this board is known for. :nod:

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad