Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't know that is actually true. 1st round draft picks never hold more value than they do on the draft floor and it's much rarer for one to be traded (exception is if a team has 2 and is going for more assets by dropping a few spots). It's weird that players that get traded at the draft don't seem to be as valuable as they are at the deadline (when talking about upcoming UFAs).
Hard to argue with any of that.

One possibility is looking at teams who miss out on Carlson and trying to benefit from their desperation. A 2019/20 pick would not be too bad either, and the timing doesn't matter as long as the trade occurs sometime this summer.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
no chatter on Myers

CGY seems to be shopping one of their Dmen, nearly every guy except Gio has been mentioned in rumblings.

Justin Faulk apparently available? I think that will be EDM's target.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know that is actually true. 1st round draft picks never hold more value than they do on the draft floor and it's much rarer for one to be traded (exception is if a team has 2 and is going for more assets by dropping a few spots). It's weird that players that get traded at the draft don't seem to be as valuable as they are at the deadline (when talking about upcoming UFAs).

But it is true that we need to move out about 4 mil in cap before next season. The numbers have been posted here several times with several variations that all say the same thing. We need to move out 4+ this off season and another 5 ish next off season.

What's weird is the huge prices paid at the deadline. That is also irrelevant since we need to make a move long before then. Not to mention that a deadline move is highly unlikely. We won't be selling contributing players in the middle of a playoff race.

Reactions: The Fist

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
But it is true that we need to move out about 4 mil in cap before next season. The numbers have been posted here several times with several variations that all say the same thing. We need to move out 4+ this off season and another 5 ish next off season.

What's weird is the huge prices paid at the deadline. That is also irrelevant since we need to make a move long before then. Not to mention that a deadline move is highly unlikely. We won't be selling contributing players in the middle of a playoff race.
Is that taking Mason and Myers into account?

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg

Not disagreeing with you there except with the time line. We need to move 4M maybe more THIS season if you re-sign Morrisey, Trouba, and Helley long term.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not disagreeing with you there except with the time line. We need to move 4M maybe more THIS season if you re-sign Morrisey, Trouba, and Helley long term.
It is tougher to move significant amounts of money around in season. Every team has more or less built their roster at that point, which often means that whatever cap space they had has been spent on free agents and extensions. Trading a big contract becomes much harder after July 1st.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It is tougher to move significant amounts of money around in season. Every team has more or less built their roster at that point, which often means that whatever cap space they had has been spent on free agents and extensions. Trading a big contract becomes much harder after July 1st.

Except contracts have pro-rated cap hits during the season, ie Stastny used up 771k in cap space this spring.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is that taking Mason and Myers into account?

That is with both Mason and Myers walking after their contracts expire and Morrissey on a bridge.

Short version is that we are out of cap space now. The cap crunch has arrived.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That is with both Mason and Myers walking after their contracts expire and Morrissey on a bridge.

Short version is that we are out of cap space now. The cap crunch has arrived.
Holy...

To think that some still believe we have enough space for a Stastny or a RNH... just ridiculous.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The move has to be made before this season. That is with Trouba and Helle signed long term and Morrissey NOT signed long term.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
...but if we are in the playoff race come February and everyone is still on board, how exactly do you cut a Myers loose at that point? It would look much worse then than in the offseason.

True at that point you probably keep him and go for a cup

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
...but you can't, if you want to avoid the bonus overage in 19-20. That's the issue.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Jets made a trade tonight. As has been said they could probably get better value for Myers or Perrault later on, even waiting until February (if they have the cap space), and I feel like they might prefer to have some other key players (Trouba) re-signed before they start making big long term changes to the team that just got to the final 4.

Yep, I said if they have the cap space.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Ottawa is friggin ripe. They can't afford a complete teardown in that market. Would love to send them something for their 4th. We have a plethora of wingers they could use. That way we could grab Noah Dobson for a legit replacement for Buff down the road. Kid completely fits the Jets m/o.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'll be very happy if Chevy manages to sign all his key RFAs to good value contracts. Anything more is gravy.

Heard that the Jets have had some discussions with Myers about moving to LD. Not a surprise to me, as I've indicated I think the Jets would look at that for next season. I think they'd much rather move Perreault than Myers if they need cap space.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'll be very happy if Chevy manages to sign all his key RFAs to good value contracts. Anything more is gravy.

Heard that the Jets have had some discussions with Myers about moving to LD. Not a surprise to me, as I've indicated I think the Jets would look at that for next season. I think they'd much rather move Perreault than Myers if they need cap space.

I speculated Myers to LD a while ago. They can't afford to have him on the bottom pairing at that hit any longer. Kulikov will babysit Niku/Poolman on the bottom pairing.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am concerned that Myers' name is not even in any of the rumors which worries me that they intend to go into next season with him on the blue line. Myers on his offside is not a sight I want to see next season when we are trying to contend.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am concerned that Myers' name is not even in any of the rumors which worries me that they intend to go into next season with him on the blue line. Myers on his offside is not a sight I want to see next season when we are trying to contend.
Hedging on a Kulikov injury. Myers was actually okay with Buff... miles ahead of Chiarot.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hedging on a Kulikov injury. Myers was actually okay with Buff... miles ahead of Chiarot.

I didn't mind them together. If this is the plan then Perrault is on his way out of town. Barring a miracle trade or Mason it's the only way. The question becomes when does he get moved.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I speculated Myers to LD a while ago. They can't afford to have him on the bottom pairing at that hit any longer. Kulikov will babysit Niku/Poolman on the bottom pairing.

So you want Myers on the left and Kulikov on the right?

Myers is not likely a good partner for Buff. His weakness is play in his own zone, brainfarts. That can only get worse on his off-side.

It doesn't matter if he is too expensive for the 3rd pair or not. He is too much cap hit when added to all our other defense cap hits. Where he plays is irrelevant.

I don't like keeping him as a rental and we can't extend him unless we move a younger, better player.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So you want Myers on the left and Kulikov on the right?

Myers is not likely a good partner for Buff. His weakness is play in his own zone, brainfarts. That can only get worse on his off-side.

It doesn't matter if he is too expensive for the 3rd pair or not. He is too much cap hit when added to all our other defense cap hits. Where he plays is irrelevant.

I don't like keeping him as a rental and we can't extend him unless we move a younger, better player.

I don't at all like it much either but I saw it coming a mile away given how Maurice leaned on them more and more in important situations in the playoffs. I also saw Myers as not being moved when he was sent out in the year end press conference as part of the leadership core. Maurice also continually raved about him as a driver in the room even ehen unprompted. It was fairly obvious to me that the team was not going to move him (I would move him myself).

I think the org will keep Niku on the farm to start imo so Kulikov will be on the left with Poolman on the right.

Edit. There are ways of keeping him without sacrificing good young talent but it would be difficult and not something I would care to pursue.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't at all like it much either but I saw it coming a mile away given how Maurice leaned on them more and more in important situations in the playoffs. I also saw Myers as not being moved when he was sent out in the year end press conference as part of the leadership core. Maurice also continually raved about him as a driver in the room even ehen unprompted. It was fairly obvious to me that the team was not going to move him (I would move him myself).

I think the org will keep Niku on the farm to start imo so Kulikov will be on the left with Poolman on the right.

Edit. There are ways of keeping him without sacrificing good young talent but it would be difficult and not something I would care to pursue.
Agree. I don't like the idea, but could see it coming. The positive is that it suggests that the Jets expect to have Trouba back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad