Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Other teams schemed his shot last year, resulting it his shot being mostly neutralized. That has to be a concern going forward.
Even with teams trying to scheme for Laine, he was one of the best PP goal scorers in the league. it's on our special teams coaching to out-scheme the opposition now...teams have been trying to scheme for Ovie for years to no avail, and i think Ovie's supporting cast is more or less the same as the Jets' on PP1 so the talent is definitely there. Several times just Laine being out there as a decoy opened things up for Wheeler and Scheifele. I don't think it's by accident since Laine has been on PP1 (this year & last) the PP has ranked top 5 in the league where as the previous 6 years the rank was 29th

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Even with teams trying to scheme for Laine, he was one of the best PP goal scorers in the league. it's on our special teams coaching to out-scheme the opposition now...teams have been trying to scheme for Ovie for years to no avail, and i think Ovie's supporting cast is more or less the same as the Jets' on PP1 so the talent is definitely there. Several times just Laine being out there as a decoy opened things up for Wheeler and Scheifele. I don't think it's by accident since Laine has been on PP1 (this year & last) the PP has ranked top 5 in the league where as the previous 6 years the rank was 29th

Bingo. As you said it's up to our coaches to come up with more creative ways to utilize Laine's shot. Throw in some different wrinkles as a major problem with the pp is everything going through Wheeler. Get some other players making the pass to Laine from different areas of the ice.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Laine is not Ovie.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg

Laine just standing there is enough to open things up for other guys. We've seen it with the bump to Scheifele in the slot and with Buff's accuracy and power from the middle. I think where things got difficult last year was when Buff was injured as Trouba and Morrissey don't have the same threatening shot as Buff does from the center, they both also lacked the experience (chemistry perhaps) with Laine to get him the pass from that spot as Buff does. All the passes can't come from Wheeler, they need to have different looks. Compounding this was Laine's refusal to move around. When he's on, he's drifting down low or he moves to the slot creating passing lanes, but when he's off, he stands still and doesn't move. The threat is still there and the PKs have to protect it, but Laine needs to work to get open too.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Jets are probably a lottery team next season if that trade gets made.

Ehlers is another player (like Laine) that I can see going to another team where they take full advantage of his extreme talent, and he becomes a very highly coveted player. We have a few players who are not being used to their full potential. Who in the league has speed and zone entries like Ehlers? Very few players.

I still think an elite center between Ehlers and Laine would be one of the best lines in the league.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Ehlers is another player (like Laine) that I can see going to another team where they take full advantage of his extreme talent, and he becomes a very highly coveted player. We have a few players who are not being used to their full potential. Who in the league has speed and zone entries like Ehlers? Very few players.

I still think an elite center between Ehlers and Laine would be one of the best lines in the league.

If only we had one in Winnipeg...who wears #55....who's initials are MARK SCHEIFELE....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine just standing there is enough to open things up for other guys. We've seen it with the bump to Scheifele in the slot and with Buff's accuracy and power from the middle. I think where things got difficult last year was when Buff was injured as Trouba and Morrissey don't have the same threatening shot as Buff does from the center, they both also lacked the experience (chemistry perhaps) with Laine to get him the pass from that spot as Buff does. All the passes can't come from Wheeler, they need to have different looks. Compounding this was Laine's refusal to move around. When he's on, he's drifting down low or he moves to the slot creating passing lanes, but when he's off, he stands still and doesn't move. The threat is still there and the PKs have to protect it, but Laine needs to work to get open too.
yeah Laine needs to move a little more. i don't think Ovie moves as much anymore but Backstrom kind of gets the defenders moving and then it goes to Carlson then Ovie. When Mike Green was running the point i think Ovie was more fluid on the PP though

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Bingo. As you said it's up to our coaches to come up with more creative ways to utilize Laine's shot. Throw in some different wrinkles as a major problem with the pp is everything going through Wheeler. Get some other players making the pass to Laine from different areas of the ice.

this has been the heat map on the PP from the last 2 seasons

upload_2019-6-12_11-25-48.png

upload_2019-6-12_11-26-13.png

vs WSH the past two seasons

WSH pre 2017 seemed to be a lot more diverse in their shot selection

upload_2019-6-12_11-26-59.png

upload_2019-6-12_11-27-16.png

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

I know we have a thread for this, but next season is it. Enough and no more wasting seasons... Either the coach we have gets his shit together and brings the absolute best out of everyone or he gets canned. If we waste one more year with the talent we have...:mad: the only caveat being that Chevy can actually keep the talent we have.

What I'm not looking forward to would be a scenario where Chevy makes some major moves this summer and Mo gets to waste another season saying it will take time for any new players we aquire to gel with the current.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine and Connor basically bring the same qualities as players, one just does it in a much more aesthetically pleasing way than the other.

Not even in the same stratosphere imo. Laine is criminally underrated on our own board. He has extremely high hockey IQ, his passing is elite, playmaking is incredible, and of course that shot. I would also give the physicality edge to Laine, as Connor in the playoffs looked like he tried to get out of every physical encounter.

Connor is a very good player, but he only does a better job of looking busy.

Give Laine first line minutes with elite players and see how they compare.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I know we have a thread for this, but next season is it. Enough and no more wasting seasons... Either the coach we have gets his **** together and brings the absolute best out of everyone or he gets canned. If we waste one more year with the talent we have...:mad: the only caveat being that Chevy can actually keep the talent we have.

What I'm not looking forward to would be a scenario where Chevy makes some major moves this summer and Mo gets to waste another season saying it will take time for any new players we aquire to gel with the current.
I'm sure Maurice is already working on his list of excuses.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Other teams schemed his shot last year, resulting it his shot being mostly neutralized. That has to be a concern going forward.

Everyone saw how to neutralize our PP by mid season last year. It wasn't just take away Laine's shot, it was easy to see what we were going to do.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I know we have a thread for this, but next season is it. Enough and no more wasting seasons... Either the coach we have gets his **** together and brings the absolute best out of everyone or he gets canned. If we waste one more year with the talent we have...:mad: the only caveat being that Chevy can actually keep the talent we have.

Cannot like this post enough.

Reactions: angrymnky

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think they want to keep Laine and Connor. I am not so sure on Ehlers. I think the offer would have to wow them though

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If that is the case I question what data the org is utilizing and how it is being interpreted.
I think Chevy goes more on "gut feel" and less on analytics. Although I have heard they do use some analytics.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If that is the case I question what data the org is utilizing and how it is being interpreted.

I think Ehlers is a pretty good player on a good contract. I think he does some things very well. He is exciting. I don't see him ever being a 1st line winger in the league. I don't see him excelling in the playoffs. That could change I suppose.

Now, Do I think they actually trade Ehlers? No. I think though that out of those 3 he probably is the "most' available.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So you're telling me that it took the Greatest Minds in Hockey 2 full seasons and 80 goals to come up with a plan to limit Laine to...30 goals in a season where he was hampered with a nagging back injury? Hmmm...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Ehlers is a pretty good player on a good contract. I think he does some things very well. He is exciting. I don't see him ever being a 1st line winger in the league. I don't see him excelling in the playoffs. That could change I suppose.

Now, Do I think they actually trade Ehlers? No. I think though that out of those 3 he probably is the "most' available.

I'm curious as to what you constitute a first line winger then. His production rates are first line levels, his shot and chance generation are also first line levels. His defense is average which is a large step up over Laine and Connor.

If he isn't a first line winger then we don't have one on this team as he is the best we have currently imo.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I'm curious as to what you constitute a first line winger then. His production rates are first line levels, his shot and chance generation are also first line levels. His defense is average which is a large step up over Laine and Connor.

If he isn't a first line winger then we don't have one on this team as he is the best we have currently imo.

I should say last year. I think the previous years he was producing at a top line rate. He falls off a cliff in the playoffs to much for my liking. I doubt they trade him though it would have to be something they couldn't say no too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad