Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I just can't see Ehlers being moved, unless he was one of the locker room problems.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I could see the Jets entertaining offers for Ehlers, and I wouldn't be upset at all depending upon the return. I like Ehlers, but I don't like his 21 career playoffs games with ZERO goals. Sure it's only been 2 seasons of playoff hockey, but is he going to be a career playoff ghost?

As Boston and St.Louis have shown this season, you need to build your team for the playoffs, which is a totally different game than the regular season...

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Sounds like everyone is getting a bit antsy and swinging for the fences here.

At this point in time, I’m only anticipating three trades/“moves” from the Jets this offseason:
  • A resolution to the Trouba saga
  • A cap relief move (likely either moving Perreault or Kulikov)
  • A move to address locker room issues for the long term
As such, I only anticipate two or three current Jets not being with the team next year: Trouba and Perreault/Kulikov, and maybe a “surprise” one if all rumours are to be believed. I doubt Chevy is willing to throw in more names than that unless heavily pushed for in a deal he can’t refuse.

Names are always flying around this time of year just because GMs are doing their due diligence and asking. I don’t think there’s anything more to it than that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
From Russo's article at The Athletic today:

First I've seen us linked to Zucker, not sure how that trade would work but he's another Ehlers type who would probably be very helpful here. Jets have lots of forwards who are good at scoring and need more who can push the play from D to O.
Ehlers for a Dman

then trade for Zucker?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sounds like everyone is getting a bit antsy and swinging for the fences here.

At this point in time, I’m only anticipating three trades/“moves” from the Jets this offseason:
  • A resolution to the Trouba saga
  • A cap relief move (likely either moving Perreault or Kulikov)
  • A move to address locker room issues for the long term
As such, I only anticipate two or three current Jets not being with the team next year: Trouba and Perreault/Kulikov, and maybe a “surprise” one if all rumours are to be believed. I doubt Chevy is willing to throw in more names than that unless heavily pushed for in a deal he can’t refuse.

Names are always flying around this time of year just because GMs are doing their due diligence and asking. I don’t think there’s anything more to it than that.

Agreed. Too much change can have its own problems. I think he would also be willing to part with a Roslovic as part of a package or alone of it meant getting player he really wanted or to fix another hole.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I could see the Jets entertaining offers for Ehlers, and I wouldn't be upset at all depending upon the return. I like Ehlers, but I don't like his 21 career playoffs games with ZERO goals. Sure it's only been 2 seasons of playoff hockey, but is he going to be a career playoff ghost?

As Boston and St.Louis have shown this season, you need to build your team for the playoffs, which is a totally different game than the regular season...

Well Wheelers playoff stats looked no better his first few times through. We know what he can do now. I wouldn't be so quick to right a talented young player off.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I would rather move Connor than Ehlers.
i wonder who has more value league-wide between Connor and Ehlers.... for some reason i think it's Connor but Ehlers is better imo

Ehlers hasn't done well in the POs though. But i look at Wheelers first 20-25 PO games and they're not much better, to early to write Ehlers off

Whileee

May 29, 2010

You mean players like Wheeler, Little, Copp and Lowry? They have a combined 4 5v5 goals in 91 playoff games over the past two seasons.

Only 3 Jets forwards have more 5v5 shots on goals than Ehlers in the past two seasons - Laine, Wheeler and Scheifele.

Ehlers has an unsustainably low shooting percentage in the playoffs, which has skewed perspectives about his performance.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wheeler first 25 PO games 7 pts in 14:31 ATOI

Ehlers 21 PO games 7 pts in 15:00 ATOI

the goose-egg in the Goals column is ugly for Ehlers. id be really concerned if he wasn't generating opportunities or setting linemates but i don't think that's the case

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Since we are getting down to the wire on the playoffs and theoretically trades can happen any time after that I will make my call on the Trouba trade.

Winnipeg: Trouba & Roslovic

Philly: #11 OA, Frost & P. Myers

Philly announces a deal with Trouba immediately following the trade.

I know some Jets fans would want more for a signed Trouba, but Chevy gets the futures rich deal he needed to restock the cupboards and restock them at positions of need. Going into last season Myers and Frost were ranked #2 and #3 prospects in the Flyer organization behind Hart. Their play last season did nothing to diminish their rankings. P. Myers steps in next season at RHD and the Jets let T. Myers walk. Frost starts in the A but it soon becomes clear he is our future #2 C. #11 OA nets another center to develop.

Of course any Philly fans would think this is too much and maybe the Jets need to add a piece but not much.

I'd be extremely happy with that return. Even add a little if need be. I've thought Myers and the 11th is pretty close to fair value due to the 1st and 2 2nds comparables. I think Roslo and Frost might end up being comparable players, but I'd swap them as we'd be getting an ELC reset and protection in the XD.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
2016-19

upload_2019-6-12_10-44-55.png

upload_2019-6-12_10-45-32.png

upload_2019-6-12_10-46-4.png

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Give me Ehlers > Connor every day of the week.

I find it interesting that people who dog Laine for only scoring goals seem to give KC mostly a pass. He's not good defensively, and he doesn't drive play. He gets more assists, but that's probably a part of playing with Scheif and Wheels. They have a lot of the same flaws.
Connor is also likely to get a bigger contract, making Ehlers even more attractive.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Laine and Connor basically bring the same qualities as players, one just does it in a much more aesthetically pleasing way than the other.
Which is why trading Laine should be seriously considered.

Who would have more value on the trade market? Laine, Ehlers or Connor?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
i think it's

Laine
Ehlers
Connor

but can change depending on the contracts
I'd definitely trade Laine then. We keep the 2 best wingers, and get the highest return. Downside is the uproar of fans, which Chevy and TNSE probably wouldn't want to deal with.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Which is why trading Laine should be seriously considered.

Who would have more value on the trade market? Laine, Ehlers or Connor?

They're still young enough that the pedigree is important IMO, Laine likely commands the best return but I'd be terrified to give up on him after one down year. The other big thing is, as we saw through the first half of this season, even if he continues to struggle at 5 on 5 you really should be able to build a top powerplay unit around his shot.

Obviously not the all around dominant player you want from a 2nd OA but still real value there.

Laine is much better on the PP though, his shot cannot be ignored
Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad