Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Perreault still has better on-ice shot metrics and better 5v5 production/efficiency than Roslovic. He's been underwhelming but still better than Roslovic
Roslovic still has room to grow and get better. Perrault isn't going to improve. Also, numbers don't tell the whole story. Roslovic set Laine up many times when they were on the same line, if Laine scored, Roslovic picked up points. When Perrault was on the Little Laine line they were even worse. I'd rather give Roslovic the time at least until playoffs and see if he can continue to grow.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Sens are going to want a conditional 1st +3rd if we re-sign Stone. Chevy would be fighting against that hard because it takes away so much value from us re-signing him and dealing a young winger.

So let's assume we are trading for him with that conditional price tag on top for now.

Sens want Roslovic, Vesalainen Samberg, or Niku and a 1st. Which isnt happening.

Sens need a 1st back badly so that's a must for them.

We need Vesalainen, Roslovic and Appleton cheap contracts next year.

Only solution I see is us giving the 1st and Roslovic or Vesalainen and getting a cost controlled center back.

But I'm probably missing something. I dont know.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
We'll be taking Brassard, guys. He was a target last year, he's still a target this year, and likely wouldn't cost our coveted 1st rounder. Hayes is my 2nd guess, Stone is down the list at this point. Let somebody else pay the big price.

I hope we don’t go for Brassard. I just don’t see that as much of an improvement. He’s kind of a let down.

Hayes I like. I can see that if we don’t get Stone. He’d cost way less too.

If Calgary gets Stone and we’d don’t add Hayes, I don’t see us beating Calgary in the western finals. Calgary likely thinks the same of us if we were to acquire Stone. So it’s not surprising that there’s a bit of an “arms race” between the 2 clubs for Stone.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Roslovic still has room to grow and get better. Perrault isn't going to improve. Also, numbers don't tell the whole story. Roslovic set Laine up many times when they were on the same line, if Laine scored, Roslovic picked up points. When Perrault was on the Little Laine line they were even worse. I'd rather give Roslovic the time at least until playoffs and see if he can continue to grow.

ok but we are talking about icing the best lineup in the POs. I think Roslovic can be a good player long-term but based on what he's shown this year he's taken a step back vs last year and his step back still puts him inferior to this year's Perreault. Perreault has played like a 1/5 of the 5v5 minutes with Laine compared to Roslovic too. I am sure there have been instances where perreault has set up players and they failed to capitalize, that's part of the game. How about when Roslovic was on the 4th line? Others options (ie: Appleton, Lemieux) have shown they can produce at a very efficient rate on the 4th as opposed to Roslovic.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
We'll be taking Brassard, guys. He was a target last year, he's still a target this year, and likely wouldn't cost our coveted 1st rounder. Hayes is my 2nd guess, Stone is down the list at this point. Let somebody else pay the big price.

I’m all for Brassard frankly. His price is discounted hopefully and I don’t think his skills are, even if the numbers aren’t there.
Cheap insurance for a Little injury.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
ok but we are talking about icing the best lineup in the POs. I think Roslovic can be a good player long-term but based on what he's shown this year he's taken a step back vs last year and his step back still puts him inferior to this year's Perreault. Perreault has played like a 1/5 of the 5v5 minutes with Laine compared to Roslovic too. I am sure there have been instances where perreault has set up players and they failed to capitalize, that's part of the game. How about when Roslovic was on the 4th line? Others options (ie: Appleton, Lemieux) have shown they can produce at a very efficient rate on the 4th as opposed to Roslovic.
Yes they showed they can produce with Copp. Copp is a really good player. So, I'd rather Appleton and Lemieux then Perrault. You prefer Perrault, I prefer Roslovic, let's just agree to disagree.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yes they showed they can produce with Copp. Copp is a really good player. So, I'd rather Appleton and Lemieux then Perrault. You prefer Perrault, I prefer Roslovic, let's just agree to disagree.
read the post trail before quoting/commenting... you're off base here. no one's talking about him playing with Copp. We are talking of a line with Perreault-Hayes-Roslovic/Appleton

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I haven't seen much of Hayes other than when he played the Jets and he looked invisible during that game. Small sample size but I don't know if he's going to be a difference maker here.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I’m all for Brassard frankly. His price is discounted hopefully and I don’t think his skills are, even if the numbers aren’t there.
Cheap insurance for a Little injury.
he would be playing the same role he did here as he did with the Pens. Probably similar level line-mates too (unless he gets a top 6 look here). you could be right but i am skeptical on Brassard

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
read the post trail before quoting/commenting... you're off base here. no one's talking about him playing with Copp. We are talking of a line with Perreault-Hayes-Roslovic/Appleton
And I'm disagreeing. Your off-base. I'm the one who suggested Hayes. Voyageur suggested Staal.
I think Lemieux Hayes Appleton is a better line than Perrault Hayes Appleton. My preference is Roslovic, Hayes Appleton.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
he would be playing the same role he did here as he did with the Pens. Probably similar level line-mates too (unless he gets a top 6 look here). you could be right but i am skeptical on Brassard

Andrew Copp (our 4th line centre) has just as good a numbers as Brassard this year. I just don’t see the point of getting Brassard, especially after his horrific playoff performance last year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Andrew Copp (our 4th line centre) has just as good a numbers as Brassard this year. I just don’t see the point of getting Brassard, especially after his horrific playoff performance last year.
agreed. the only thing is if Maurice reunites TLC i don't see him trusting Roslovic in a C role. Could use another C on the 4th line for a "scoring line" instead of empty minutes like Roslovic typically provides

Reactions: jetsfan15

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
agreed. the only thing is if Maurice reunites TLC i don't see him trusting Roslovic in a C role. Could use another C on the 4th line for a "scoring line" instead of empty minutes like Roslovic typically provides

That’s true.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I've been less impressed by Perrault. Roslovic is still young. Perrault has no excuse.
Roslovic had guys with offensive talent to play with. Perreault is given tough matchups and the responsibility of driving offense for two guys who have no offensive talent to speak of.

HF is giving Maurice a run for his money in the competition of 'who can mishandle Perreault the most.'

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Roslovic had guys with offensive talent to play with. Perreault is given tough matchups and the responsibility of driving offense for two guys who have no offensive talent to speak of.

HF is giving Maurice a run for his money in the competition of 'who can mishandle Perreault the most.'
Yes, and that line is better without Perrault on it. Perrault has done very little on the pp but I'll let you continue thinking Perrault is playing great. That Perrault was driving that line and that Tanev has not looked better offensively than him. Also, Perrault has played with Little and Laine. 1/5 of the time as Roslovic, but, that line should have looked way better that 1/5 of the time than they did the rest of the time. They did not.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was only 1 game but if it was indicative of our wingers in the top 6, what do we need Stone for again?
Does Wheeler bump Apples off the 4th line? I don't think he (Wheeler) can play the Tanev role on the 3rd. Besides, we need Tanev for the PK.

Stone would be extremely expensive injury insurance and when healthy we don't appear to have much need of him. Certainly not enough to justify his rumoured price.

Maybe it is time to step back and rethink this scenario.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
After the trade hysteria of the week, and poster's talking about Stone, I've come to certain conclusions on the matter. It just may be a better deal all around for the Jet's to sign Hayes --as he'd be way less expensive.

On STONE -- He's good, and in the Top 20 in NHL scoring right now, and is a real good 2 way player, that the Jet's would love to have. ( on pace for 80-90 points)

1) Problem is he'd want $ 9-10 mil per year to resign, or thereabouts ( very expensive)

2) Apparently he'd want "lock out" guarantee money, if there was a shutdown. This could cost the Jets about $ 6 - 8 mil -- lot of money. How will this affect the other Jet's players who don't have this ?? Also can the Jet's afford this ?? Who's going to want to step up and pay this "huge amount" of lockout money protection ??

3) From what I hear, he wants a huge "signing bonus", which requires a lot of cash upfront. I don't think the Jet's can --or want to afford this.

Also, do the Jet's want to set a precedent here ? and make "special exceptions" for Stone, and cause themselves a lot of grief signing their up and coming players they have to sign. These players will all want this as well. ( dangerous road to travel)

Also -- Wheeler and Scheifele are both ahead of Stone in the scoring race, so we'd be getting a player that will score around 80-90 points this year -- is he worth all that extra cash, and is he worth all that much more money than our other stars. I see a lot of headaches resigning this guy, when the money can be used elsewhere. What if we get in a bidding war , and he's offered $ 9.5 to 10 mil per year -- do we pay that ?? If we do not, we lose a 1st round pick, and a guy like Roslovic, or Vesalainen.

We could sign HAYES -- he's much cheaper, at around $ 5 mil per year, and would fit in fantastic as a 4th line center, and can fill in for Little, should Little get injured. Hayes is on pace for a 60 point season this year, and Little is on pace for about 48 to 52 points. So, in Hayes we get a "young guy" who'll fit in nicely with the club, who's fast, and a great playmaker, and will produce more than Little. ( a little bit more)

Hayes is 27 years old - 6'5 tall, and weighs 220 lbs --so he is a very big player.

Hayes would also be a lot easier to resign, and would be half the cost of Stone, and we wouldn't have to blow away 2 potential 1st rounders, and a great prospect like Roslovic to acquire him -- the price would be much less.

On HAYES or STAAL-- well Staal is 35 years old, and I believe Hayes is around 27 years old, so I think Staal is to old to resign. Both of these guys production this year is similar, and both are on pace for 60 point seasons.

When you think about the big picture, and being squeezed up tightly to the Cap, and having little money to sign new defenseman, and other players, HAYES makes a lot of good sense for the Jets to sign.

Note -- if another team wants to get all greased up in their Santa Claus suits, and pander to this guys huge contract demands--maybe we should just let them.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It was only 1 game but if it was indicative of our wingers in the top 6, what do we need Stone for again?
Does Wheeler bump Apples off the 4th line? I don't think he (Wheeler) can play the Tanev role on the 3rd. Besides, we need Tanev for the PK.

Stone would be extremely expensive injury insurance and when healthy we don't appear to have much need of him. Certainly not enough to justify his rumoured price.

Very much agree with your post Mort--check out my last above post, and see if you agree with it, as an alternative to going after Stone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Exactly what I have been thinking. Get a player to give the fourth line a boost and possibly a good depth LD and we should be fine.

I would like to see a cheap center option to play with Perrault and Roslovic.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I think the only reason to chase Stone right now is to make sure that Calgary and Nashville don't get him. He would fill in very nicely on the 2nd line, though. I still don't agree with paying the price, but Chevy probably knows better than anyone what this year's chances are.

Hayes could give us three scoring lines again, and let Lowry/Copp/Tanev do the 4th line/checking duties.

Ehlers/Scheif/Wheeler
Connor/Hayes/Laine
Perreault/Little/Roslovic
Copp/Lowry/Tanev
-----------------------------
Appleton/Petan/Lemmy

Looks pretty good to me. If we could do it without losing our 1st, I'm all for it. Nashville doesn't seem to be in on Hayes at the price of Tolvanen (lol), and not much chatter about him going to Calgary, so the price may drop. Brassard could still fill in, though.

Reactions: FonRiesen and GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad