Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Staal's a UFA after this season, he'd be a pure rental; no reason to worry about his salary next season. Minnesota might want a young-ish fringe player going back rather than picks in the hopes of turning things around quickly. For a player like Petan I could see it being something like Petan and a 6th for Staal and a 2nd or 3rd.

Another possibility, not necessarily for Staal, that would probably appease some of the people saying not to trade the 1st round pick would be to trade it conditionally on winning the cup.
I know Bruins fans still maintain that they'd do the Peverley/Wheeler trade all over again because they won the cup, even knowing what Wheeler became. Obviously not the same, because who knows if Wheeler becomes what he is today if he stayed in Boston.
Winning the cup cures a lot of ails for a fanbase, I think.

I'd expect more than Staal coming back even for a conditional (on winning the cup) first.
OK, you're right -- UFA after this year. Have no problem with a rental like Staal though as long as there is potential of jiving with Laine & we don't give up much more than a second & middling prospect. Koivu, as someone else suggested is also intriquing, although he has 1 more year left at 5.5, so that might be a problem.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
If you guys are looking for an affordable top 4 LD, 25yrs old, 6'2, 207lbs Ben Hutton is developing well this year.

On pace for 8 goals - 20 assists this season, currently has in 49 games, 5 goals, 12 assists, 17pts, while avg 21:17 TOI.

Edler was thought to be avail, but Benning suggests they'll probably re-sign him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I could see a trade of Laine as an option - but it would have to be with a team that is willing to pay for his incredible potential. It isn't like it is some airy-fairy hope that he turns out to be good. He isn't 21 yet and has scored 105 goals!!!

But it would also need to be a team that has the right assets and cap space. A lot would have to come together. It would be a massive trade, probably the biggest blockbuster trade since Lindros.

I think it is an extremely unlikely fantasy trade but I can imagine a deal with Carolina. They meet the requirements of having the assets, the cap space and they have an owner who over-values exciting offensive players who sell tickets.

To 'Canes:
Laine, Trouba, Petan, Myers, Chiarot

To Jets:
Pesce, TVR (or Faulk), De Haan, Necas, Niederreiter, Geekie

'Canes have to flip Myers before the TDL. They don't need the RD. Chiarot is an inexpensive LD who fills the short term hole on that side. They can choose to keep him for depth or not. Up to them. Petan is an upgrade to the bottom of their roster. They still have 2 LHD and 1 RHD near ready prospects in their system. We've only taken 1 F off their roster and he is replaced by Laine. They still have a couple of good F prospects too. Dundon has his exciting ticket seller in Laine.

'Canes come out of it with still something in the neighbourhood of 15-17 mil in cap space. They still need a goalie. Otherwise they have a pretty competitive team.

Jets get a L/R D pair + another RHD. I would rather get TVR. He costs less and will be a better fit in the long run, I think. Also easier to extend. They may want to keep him for the same reasons and insist we take Faulk - if he has us on his trade list. We get a replacement top 6 RW in Nino. We get a projected top 6 C in Necas plus another C/RW prospect in Geekie.

For Jets it fills the holes created by the trade plus all of the other existing holes.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Niederreiter
Perreault - Lowry - Tanev
Lemieux - Copp/Necas - Appleton/Roslovic/Geekie

Morrissey - Pesce
De Haan - Buff
Kulikov - TVR
Niku/Morrow/Poolman

No holes. Lots of depth. Cap under control. Several good prospects coming at both F and D. That is one damn fine D corps.

Appears to me to work for both teams - but, like I said, it is extremely unlikely.
I'm glad you qualified this as an extremely unlikely fantasy trade Mort, otherwise I would have thought you had spent the day drinking. A 10 player TD deal involving a bunch of young star players has about the likelihood of a 649 win. I think the Jets make a move but it will be a good old fashion futures for rental, how big a rental and for how much in futures is the question.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If you guys are looking for an affordable top 4 LD, 25yrs old, 6'2, 207lbs Ben Hutton is developing well this year.

On pace for 8 goals - 20 assists this season, currently has in 49 games, 5 goals, 12 assists, 17pts, while avg 21:17 TOI.

Edler was thought to be avail, but Benning suggests they'll probably re-sign him.
We're full-up on marginal defensemen named "Ben" unfortunately...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not to detract too far from the Laine trade discussions ( :laugh: ) this article says a few interesting things that I saw were being asked about in the previous thread.

Countdown to TradeCentre: Flames, Jets in an arms race?

Title is pretty much clickbait, it doesn't really suggest the Jets and Flames are more worried about eachother than they are teams in their own divisions.

Bolded is my emphasis.

Emphasis on the perceived price of Staal for those that don't want the Jets to trade their 1st.

The rest of the Staal part of the article implies to me that contract negotiations with the Wild haven't started not because he's not willing to negotiate now, but because the Wild aren't willing or don't want him back. There was questions about whether Staal was even available in the last thread because the Wild are still in the race for the playoffs.

I think one of the previous 31 Thoughts articles implied that there were some teams that were in playoff positions that knew they weren't contenders and had thrown in the towel, I think the Wild might be one of those teams.

Petan, Spacek and a 2nd for Staal

Reactions: Huffer and KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would too but Staal is costing a 1st plus B or C prospect.
I'd love to re-sign him for 2 years if he gels with the team. I'd easily go 4.75m per year for two years.
Stall might be the cutoff below a 1st being required. I can see a 2nd and some combination of not A prospects.

Reactions: Flair Hay

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I they they hold out for a first and get it. I hope it's us giving up that pick for him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
LeBrun sees Jets, Flames being aggressive on trade front

The Jets gave up a 1st last season to get a temp guy.... not sure if I'm comfortable having Chevy do it again.
If Chevy makes a trade I have a feeling it will be someone off the radar (eg Trochek) and will have term remaining. The Jets make a run for the Cup and then deal with Trouba and cap in the summer (trading Little for example).

Reactions: Flair Hay

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Stall might be the cutoff below a 1st being required. I can see a 2nd and some combination of not A prospects.

I honestly cannot see Staal not returning a 1st if he's fully available as a rental.

He scored 40+ goals and 70+ points last year. This year is on pace for 60+ points again. Has a Stanley Cup and generally speaking has produced in the playoffs. Big strong center.

No what he ends up going for could have a lot to do with how he uses his NTC.

But if there's open bidding him the starting point is a 1st.

I don't know if he's worth that to the Jets because as a shoot first center he probably isn't a good fit with Laine. But he's definitely worth that to several teams expected to be contenders at the deadline.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I honestly cannot see Staal not returning a 1st if he's fully available as a rental.

He scored 40+ goals and 70+ points last year. This year is on pace for 60+ points again. Has a Stanley Cup and generally speaking has produced in the playoffs. Big strong center.

No what he ends up going for could have a lot to do with how he uses his NTC.

But if there's open bidding him the starting point is a 1st.

I don't know if he's worth that to the Jets because as a shoot first center he probably isn't a good fit with Laine. But he's definitely worth that to several teams expected to be contenders at the deadline.

Maybe as a first shoot center he works well with Laine? If teams key in on Laine than Staal can burn ‘em.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Chevy should delete Rutherford's number if he thinks the Jets are giving up Lowry for Brassard.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Petan, Spacek and a 2nd for Staal

That won't get it done. Pens would give up a 1st for him I think. Fenton would be dumb to trade Staal for nothing, because Minnesota would have Koivu and nothing else at centre. That's a hole you have to fill. St. Louis traded Stastny and had to give up this year's 1st to replace his hole. Minnesota has even less at centre and are in the playoff race. I could see them being in on Duchene, Nelson in the offseason though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad