Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wonder about a Roslovic for Murray package. It looks like Ryan Murray is finally healthy and performing up to his potential. He would be a good player to pair with Buff. Good skating, solid defensively and can put up some secondary offense.

On the surface it sounds ok, but I wonder what Murray's next deal will be like and if it fits for us. The other question would be how we navigate the next expansion draft. It works great for us in a sense that Buff is a UFA and we can work out a deal beforehand but wait until after to sign it. That means protecting Morrissey, Trouba, and Niku so we can protect 7 forwards. It's possible Trouba is gone, but I would have to think we're then somehow getting a D (either in that trade or a second one) that needs protecting. We can't go 8 skaters total, so I think it makes adding another quality D that would need to be protected a little problematic.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
On the surface it sounds ok, but I wonder what Murray's next deal will be like and if it fits for us. The other question would be how we navigate the next expansion draft. It works great for us in a sense that Buff is a UFA and we can work out a deal beforehand but wait until after to sign it. That means protecting Morrissey, Trouba, and Niku so we can protect 7 forwards. It's possible Trouba is gone, but I would have to think we're then somehow getting a D (either in that trade or a second one) that needs protecting. We can't go 8 skaters total, so I think it makes adding another quality D that would need to be protected a little problematic.

That is the question. I have a hard time seeing him making much more than 5 million on his next deal. Well we are going to have to expose a couple of decent players but they can only take one. I still think the org will pay Seattle to take Little.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Good Lord, I'm one of the people who think Laine needs to own his own game and play better, but the proposals on this board to move him are terrible. You would think they came from the trade board from someone looking to rip us off.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Good Lord, I'm one of the people who think Laine needs to own his own game and play better, but the proposals on this board to move him are terrible. You would think they came from the trade board from someone looking to rip us off.
agreed.... he's 20 and is in a major slump. you are selling very very low on him
I wonder about a Roslovic for Murray package. It looks like Ryan Murray is finally healthy and performing up to his potential. He would be a good player to pair with Buff. Good skating, solid defensively and can put up some secondary offense.
good trade for the Jets but I don't see the motivation for CBJ to do it at all. Murray is doing really well this year on their 2nd pairing.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Barkov for Trouba please i wonder What other parts would make that happen ?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
That is the question. I have a hard time seeing him making much more than 5 million on his next deal. Well we are going to have to expose a couple of decent players but they can only take one. I still think the org will pay Seattle to take Little.

But if that trade goes down and Trouba is signed (or someone is brought in through trade) and we can only protect 4 forwards, who are we protecting? Or we're then exposing Niku?

We're going to lose someone for sure, but I hope our GM is forward thinking enough to try to minimize the impact as much as possible. Or at least not creating a problem where

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think the only better C would be Aho and I don't think that could work for them. I was a little dubious about the value too. But I didn't want to get carried away with the ask.

I thought of including Comrie but goalies market value is always low. An unproven AHL goalie's value is so low that I think we are better off keeping him. They will have to look elsewhere for a goalie. Maybe use some of that remaining cap space to get one.
Ok, had a quick look at what they have in their system & I think you're close. Yes, Laine is a potential monster (certainly not now, but down the road) but there's still some serious ?? regarding development. And affording him & the rest of our young guns will for sure be an issue down the road, so we need to give up on somebody. I still say with Scheif, Connor, Ehlers, etc, we'll have all the scoring we need.

So I might indeed do the Caro deal. If Trouba is gone anyway, give them Laine, Trouba, Petan, Myers, Chariot. I'd ask for Pesce, Faulk & Fleury back on D (all young; 2 RHD & Fleury a LHD on ELC). I'm not convinced we need a RW back as we have plenty, I'd maybe go for Teravainen, Necas & Geekie (all have C potential; the latter two good prospects).

Yes, it would be hard to pull the trigger on trading Laine, but sacrifices will need to be made sometime. Maybe to make the cap work in the future, we do the unthinkable.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Emphasis on the perceived price of Staal for those that don't want the Jets to trade their 1st.

The rest of the Staal part of the article implies to me that contract negotiations with the Wild haven't started not because he's not willing to negotiate now, but because the Wild aren't willing or don't want him back. There was questions about whether Staal was even available in the last thread because the Wild are still in the race for the playoffs.

I think one of the previous 31 Thoughts articles implied that there were some teams that were in playoff positions that knew they weren't contenders and had thrown in the towel, I think the Wild might be one of those teams.

Seems to me that Staal might be the perfect add. How he fits as a 2nd line C is always a ??, but we need to do something already. One more year at 3.5 wouldn't kill us, but decisions would need to be made in the off-season. As long as we're not giving up our 1st, or a couple of our top prospects, Staal might be the man.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But if that trade goes down and Trouba is signed (or someone is brought in through trade) and we can only protect 4 forwards, who are we protecting? Or we're then exposing Niku?

We're going to lose someone for sure, but I hope our GM is forward thinking enough to try to minimize the impact as much as possible. Or at least not creating a problem where

It's hard to say due to not knowing what will happen with the Trouba situation. I would imagine Chevy is aware of it though. As is I would go the 7-3-1 route and protect Morrissey, Trouba (If here) and one of Murray/Niku depending on which one is performing best.

Forwards to protect:

Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Conner, Ehlers, Copp and whoever emerges as the most valuable among Little, Appton, Lemieux etc at that point.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Seems to me that Staal might be the perfect add. How he fits as a 2nd line C is always a ??, but we need to do something already. One more year at 3.5 wouldn't kill us, but decisions would need to be made in the off-season. As long as we're not giving up our 1st, or a couple of our top prospects, Staal might be the man.

I think the reason most of us are looking at a 2c is to match well with Laine (at least I am), the problem with bringing in another 2c is that we have no idea of the chemistry match. What if we bring in someone to get that line going and it doesn't work as well as we hope?

I guess it gives us more center depth, but I would hope we go all in on a C or not at all.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
agreed.... he's 20 and is in a major slump. you are selling very very low on him

good trade for the Jets but I don't see the motivation for CBJ to do it at all. Murray is doing really well this year on their 2nd pairing.

He's in the same situation as Trouba a year and a bit before UFA. They have a glut of dmen on the team and need forward talent. Roslovic is also from their and their Gm has shown interest in him in the past.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's in the same situation as Trouba a year and a bit before UFA. They have a glut of dmen on the team and need forward talent. Roslovic is also from their and their Gm has shown interest in him in the past.
I think top 6 Wing talent is good. Seems like they need a better 2C and Roslovic is certainly not that. After Werenski, they have Murray and Nutivaara that are LHD (Murray and Nutivaara play on the same pairing). Id think they want a better/more established player than Roslovic though if they're trading Murray

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ok, had a quick look at what they have in their system & I think you're close. Yes, Laine is a potential monster (certainly not now, but down the road) but there's still some serious ?? regarding development. And affording him & the rest of our young guns will for sure be an issue down the road, so we need to give up on somebody. I still say with Scheif, Connor, Ehlers, etc, we'll have all the scoring we need.

So I might indeed do the Caro deal. If Trouba is gone anyway, give them Laine, Trouba, Petan, Myers, Chariot. I'd ask for Pesce, Faulk & Fleury back on D (all young; 2 RHD & Fleury a LHD on ELC). I'm not convinced we need a RW back as we have plenty, I'd maybe go for Teravainen, Necas & Geekie (all have C potential; the latter two good prospects).

Yes, it would be hard to pull the trigger on trading Laine, but sacrifices will need to be made sometime. Maybe to make the cap work in the future, we do the unthinkable.

Lots of possibilities. I like CDH. Not sure Fleury ever = him. The ELC is good though. I want a RW because those we have after Laine look like bottom 6 right now. I didn't ask for Teraveinen because a) if we try to cripple them, it doesn't fly and b) LWs we really do have a lot of and with Ehlers & Connor our top 6 is solid for many years. Faulk and TVR will both be UFA after next season. I think TVR would be quite a bit easier to extend, probably for a fair bit less money than Faulk is getting now and he is almost as good. Or at least, that is my thinking. Save money there and put it into CDH instead of Fleury.

Geekie is sort of my dark horse favourite among their prospects. He is outperforming his draft position. Being a Manitoba boy is not a big deal, but it is a nice little bonus.

It would be very hard to pull the trigger. But the alternative may be losing Connor before very long and he wouldn't bring near the return. Trouba is almost certainly gone and we almost certainly have to accept something less than full value. I'm hoping the discount on him is only small but it could be substantial, depending on the competition for him. He will be a pending UFA and may limit the number of bidders.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It's hard to say due to not knowing what will happen with the Trouba situation. I would imagine Chevy is aware of it though. As is I would go the 7-3-1 route and protect Morrissey, Trouba (If here) and one of Murray/Niku depending on which one is performing best.

Forwards to protect:

Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Conner, Ehlers, Copp and whoever emerges as the most valuable among Little, Appton, Lemieux etc at that point.

Need to protect Lowry too.

Might be all the same now that we put it out there. Without any trade we're likely losing a guy like Copp or Roslo (Scheif, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp OR Roslo, JoMo, Trouba, Niku)

So if you did your trade your then shifting the loss to a D (Scheif, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp, JoMo, Trouba, Niku OR Murray).

Probably pretty similar.

None

Feb 22, 2012

Staal's a UFA after this season, he'd be a pure rental; no reason to worry about his salary next season. Minnesota might want a young-ish fringe player going back rather than picks in the hopes of turning things around quickly. For a player like Petan I could see it being something like Petan and a 6th for Staal and a 2nd or 3rd.

Another possibility, not necessarily for Staal, that would probably appease some of the people saying not to trade the 1st round pick would be to trade it conditionally on winning the cup.
I know Bruins fans still maintain that they'd do the Peverley/Wheeler trade all over again because they won the cup, even knowing what Wheeler became. Obviously not the same, because who knows if Wheeler becomes what he is today if he stayed in Boston.
Winning the cup cures a lot of ails for a fanbase, I think.

I'd expect more than Staal coming back even for a conditional (on winning the cup) first.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He is having a much better year, but would CBJ be inclined to sell? That would leave them a little short on the left side. With Panarin and Bobrovsky probably leaving they will not be short on cap space.

Reactions: DRW204

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Staal's a UFA after this season, he'd be a pure rental; no reason to worry about his salary next season. Minnesota might want a young-ish fringe player going back rather than picks in the hopes of turning things around quickly. For a player like Petan I could see it being something like Petan and a 6th for Staal and a 2nd or 3rd.

Another possibility, not necessarily for Staal, that would probably appease some of the people saying not to trade the 1st round pick would be to trade it conditionally on winning the cup.
I know Bruins fans still maintain that they'd do the Peverley/Wheeler trade all over again because they won the cup, even knowing what Wheeler became. Obviously not the same, because who knows if Wheeler becomes what he is today if he stayed in Boston.
Winning the cup cures a lot of ails for a fanbase, I think.

I'd expect more than Staal coming back even for a conditional (on winning the cup) first.

I'd move Petan AND a 2nd in a heartbeat for Staal. How are they the ones sending a 2nd back?

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'd move Petan AND a 2nd in a heartbeat for Staal. How are they the ones sending a 2nd back?

Michael Russo of The Athletic writes that league executives surveyed all agreed that the Wild would not get a first-round pick in return for Staal - should he be traded. The executives pointed to the Toronto Maple Leafs setting the market by trading their first-round pick for Jake Muzzin, who still has a year left on his contract.

Perceived value from the perspective of other teams, seems to be that as an older pure rental he's not worth a 1st. I'd value Petan and a 2nd around a late (25-31) 1st. I don't see the Jets moving Petan 1 for 1 for a rental, so I think upgrading a later round pick to a 2nd or a 3rd would be something they might want to even up the value.
Alternatively if Minnesota wants picks and not players maybe the Jets do something like a 2019 2nd and a 2020 4th or something.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
LOL. GMJR wanted Lowry for Brassard :biglaugh:

There is so much wiggle room in the statement "my understanding is that Pittsburgh probably wanted somebody like Adam Lowry as compensation for Derick Brassard" it does not even come close to saying they wanted Lowry for Brassard.

Reactions: Evil Little
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad