Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i could ask you the same. why would you rather trade connor then laine. connor has gotten better every year and laine has gotten steadily worse.

That is a completely different proposition than choosing between Connor and Ehlers.

Laine is a rare talent. You don't trade him now because that is selling low. You don't trade him when he is not slumping because he is scoring at an incredible pace. Or, maybe you do trade him when he is scoring at an incredible pace because you get a huge return. That would be selling high.

Has nothing to do with choosing between Connor and Ehlers and no similarity in the decision making process either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
At some point I would think Chevy would want time to pursue a plan b.
I would bet Chevy already has plans B, C and D on the back burner. Lots of options out there, and with such a young and talented roster the Jets have many options going forward.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes but fans don't look at things objectively the heart wants what it wants. Ehlers is better objectively.

:laugh: When both are in the lineup and healthy and neither is on a line with Laine - the heart wants Ehlers as well as the head. We don't have another player who is that much fun to watch. Otherwise we are likely to think we want whichever one is playing with Scheifele at any particular time because he will be scoring.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
:laugh: When both are in the lineup and healthy and neither is on a line with Laine - the heart wants Ehlers as well as the head. We don't have another player who is that much fun to watch. Otherwise we are likely to think we want whichever one is playing with Scheifele at any particular time because he will be scoring.
Your heart.

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
Ehlers$6,000,000
Connor$3,250,000
Appleton$758,333
Copp$1,200,000
Lemieux$1,000,000
Scheifele$6,125,000
Tanev$2,000,000
Little$5,291,666
Lowry$2,916,666
Stone$9,000,000
Wheeler$8,250,000
Roslovic$1,106,666
Laine$7,000,000
$53,898,331
Morrissey$3,150,000
Niku$916,666
Morrow$1,000,000
Kulikov$4,333,333
Byfuglien$7,600,000
Chiarot$1,500,000
Poolman$775,000
$19,274,999
Hellebuyck$6,167,000
Brossoit$950,000
$7,117,000
Cap Hit$80,290,330
Cap$83,000,000
Difference$2,709,670
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There is Laine bridged at 7 mil, Connor bridged at 3.25 and Stone in at 9 mil.

That D is not good enough. Morrow is really only there as a placeholder and Niku is having to play above where he should start. Maybe the Trouba return helps with that or maybe Connor is traded for D help. There are plenty of possibilities. Maybe one of our other D prospects is ready.

The point is that Stone's 9 mil is accommodated and there is 2.7 mil left.

Maybe Tanev and Connor each get a little more. Maybe Stone gets a little more. So the cushion might be less than 2.7. Lets say it is 1.7. We are still OK.

Gone are Trouba, Myers and Perreault. No major surgery, just the moves we are expecting anyway.

The next year Samberg and Kovacevic replace Kulikov and Chiarot. With a 3 mil cap increase we gain some breathing room, even after Morrissey's raise.
Connor at 3.5 lol

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would love to extend him for around 8 x $8.5M. If another team wanted to match the total contract value on a 7-year deal they would need to go to $9.7M per year.

On last contracts, or last big contracts, total money matters more than 1 additional year required to get it. That is guaranteed money in the bank.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I agree with this. Ehlers is the only Jet who can literally lift you out of your seat when he winds up.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
That is a completely different proposition than choosing between Connor and Ehlers.

Laine is a rare talent. You don't trade him now because that is selling low. You don't trade him when he is not slumping because he is scoring at an incredible pace. Or, maybe you do trade him when he is scoring at an incredible pace because you get a huge return. That would be selling high.

Has nothing to do with choosing between Connor and Ehlers and no similarity in the decision making process either.
Never said anything about trading laine. Always said I want all 3 and neither should be traded. Because we don't know how good they will be. Some all ready know that ehlers is better then connor I'm not convinced that connor might not be better then ehlers or laine. That's why I want to keep all 3.

Reactions: GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hey, come on. Niko is way better looking to. Not to mention smarter and having a better personality. :laugh:

If all that isn't enough for you then there is his sweetheart contract. What's not to love? :laugh:
Way too short and scruffy looking. Neither of them have started a charity like Subban. Smarter? I'll have you know Connor was at college. Do we know if Ehlers could pass Lit 101?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I agree with this. Ehlers is the only Jet who can literally lift you out of your seat when he winds up.

I realize the NHL is about winning, but it's also entertainment, and there's no player that's more exciting on the Jets to watch, than Nic Ehlers. As Saintb says--he can lift you out of your chair. There's no way the Jet's should ever trade Ehlers, and besides that--he's very happy playing here. Perfect fit all the way around.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Ehlers$6,000,000
Connor$3,250,000
Appleton$758,333
Copp$1,200,000
Lemieux$1,000,000
Scheifele$6,125,000
Tanev$2,000,000
Little$5,291,666
Lowry$2,916,666
Stone$9,000,000
Wheeler$8,250,000
Roslovic$1,106,666
Laine$7,000,000
$53,898,331
Morrissey$3,150,000
Niku$916,666
Morrow$1,000,000
Kulikov$4,333,333
Byfuglien$7,600,000
Chiarot$1,500,000
Poolman$775,000
$19,274,999
Hellebuyck$6,167,000
Brossoit$950,000
$7,117,000
Cap Hit$80,290,330
Cap$83,000,000
Difference$2,709,670
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There is Laine bridged at 7 mil, Connor bridged at 3.25 and Stone in at 9 mil.

That D is not good enough. Morrow is really only there as a placeholder and Niku is having to play above where he should start. Maybe the Trouba return helps with that or maybe Connor is traded for D help. There are plenty of possibilities. Maybe one of our other D prospects is ready.

The point is that Stone's 9 mil is accommodated and there is 2.7 mil left.

Maybe Tanev and Connor each get a little more. Maybe Stone gets a little more. So the cushion might be less than 2.7. Lets say it is 1.7. We are still OK.

Gone are Trouba, Myers and Perreault. No major surgery, just the moves we are expecting anyway.

The next year Samberg and Kovacevic replace Kulikov and Chiarot. With a 3 mil cap increase we gain some breathing room, even after Morrissey's raise.

I would be shocked if you could bridge Connor for under 5mill per, especially if he hits b2b 30 goal seasons.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm agnostic on which of the two to keep other than from the salary cap perspective. Ehlers was signed to a sweet, cap-friendly deal. Connor may not do the same (likely won't do the same). In my mind, following Whilee's plan, we move Connor.

Regardless, Stone coming to Winnipeg as other than a rental means we are making painful moves in the off-season to keep him.

Wave good-bye to Myers, trade Trouba (doing that anyway) and trade Perreault (probably doing that anyway). Bridge Laine (almost certainly doing that anyway) and bridge Connor. Otherwise might sign Connor long term since Laine is bridged anyway. That is all that is required.

Losing both Trouba and Myers leaves a big hole in our D and we will have to deal with that somehow. We are likely facing that situation with or without Stone also.

Other moves are possible but again, they have more to do with Trouba leaving than they do with Stone arriving.

Consider this hypothetical. Trouba leaving forces us to trade Connor for D help. If we are losing Connor anyway, wouldn't it be better to still have a top 6 with Stone in it?

I am in favour of getting Stone at the TD only if it means we are going to keep him - successfully - not just hoping to. Otherwise I prefer to either keep our assets or spend them better. But in that case, I have been persuaded that we should go all in on Stone July 1.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Never said anything about trading laine. Always said I want all 3 and neither should be traded. Because we don't know how good they will be. Some all ready know that ehlers is better then connor I'm not convinced that connor might not be better then ehlers or laine. That's why I want to keep all 3.

i could ask you the same. why would you rather trade connor then laine. connor has gotten better every year and laine has gotten steadily worse.

How is that not saying anything about trading Laine?

Some risks have to be taken. Being an NHL GM is about taking risks every day. You want to wait until they have all played another 5 years and then trade the least of them. If that weakest one under-performs you don't get anything back. Meanwhile you have used up the primes of all of your best players with an unbalanced team that can't win.

Some people seem to have the idea that you only trade players you don't like. If you don't like them, no one else will either. If you want something you have to be prepared to pay. I'm sure you know that.

So take a carefully planned risk. Go and get what you need. Expect to have to pay for it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Way too short and scruffy looking. Neither of them have started a charity like Subban. Smarter? I'll have you know Connor was at college. Do we know if Ehlers could pass Lit 101?

Niko looks short beside Laine but so do most men. Scruffy? Lets use Laine as that standard too. :laugh:
Yeah, but did Connor graduate? How many languages does Connor speak? We know Ehlers can read Batman comics. :laugh:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
If I'm Chevy I let the talk with the Senators cool off if another team want their rentals and are willing to give up draft picks and good players off their roster let them in the end nobody will and Dorian will end up taking much less then is being reported.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would be shocked if you could bridge Connor for under 5mill per, especially if he hits b2b 30 goal seasons.

Come on, its a bridge deal. JMo was bridged at 3.15, Trouba a year earlier at 3. KC might get 3.5, inflation.

Edit: Besides, we are going to trade KC for D help, remember. Especially if he thinks he needs 5 on a bridge deal. :laugh:

Reactions: robertocarlos

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
No interest in giving up an awesome left wing on an awesome contact, an up and coming left wing who might be 2 for 2 in 30 goal seasons in order to add a right wing while we have a brand new $8MM contract going to a right wing next year and another right wing who might become the highest paid jet in a few years.

How do you choose between great value, great potential, and great player?

I really think Wheeler is in Stone's spot, honestly. I don't think we can fit Stone long term.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If I'm Chevy I let the talk with the Senators cool off if another team want their rentals and are willing to give up draft picks and good players off their roster let them in the end nobody will and Dorian will end up taking much less then is being reported.
Agree. Let Dorion hear other teams' best offers while Chevy continues to look at other options on the rental market. Dorion can circle back around to Chevy to see if he'll outbid other offers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I watched Stone since Jr and I do like him alot. Its not all roses and unicorns though. Overall, excellent hockey player and could contribute here, but he's kinda slow and more concerning has never shown up in playoffs ever.......even going back to Jr. I would be hesitant to give up good young assets/picks then potentially lose Trouba, Myers Tanev or whatever would be necessary to ink a UFA deal.

Stone PO's
D+1 BWK - 6 gms, 10 pts
D+2 BWK - 8 gms, 6 pts
D+3 AHL - 3 gms, 3 pts
D+4 AHL - 4 gms, 4 pts
D+5 NHL - 6 gms, 4 pts
D+7 NHL - 19 gms, 8 pts (5 G)

I don't see how you can say he doesn't show up for the PO's based on that record.

Trouba & Myers are on their way out with or without Stone. Tanev can stay, with or without Stone, unless his salary expectations are excessive, in which case he goes - with or without Stone.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stone PO's
D+1 BWK - 6 gms, 10 pts
D+2 BWK - 8 gms, 6 pts
D+3 AHL - 3 gms, 3 pts
D+4 AHL - 4 gms, 4 pts
D+5 NHL - 6 gms, 4 pts
D+7 NHL - 19 gms, 8 pts (5 G)

I don't see how you can say he doesn't show up for the PO's based on that record.

Trouba & Myers are on their way out with or without Stone. Tanev can stay, with or without Stone, unless his salary expectations are excessive, in which case he goes - with or without Stone.
Point per game in juniors and AHL and 0.5 points/game in the NHL isn't remarkable.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Only knock on Ehlers is that he disappeared in last years playoffs, where Connor performed quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad