Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They need to move Kulikov, regardless. Bridge deals are in the cards, I think.

I wish we knew why he is sitting. At first I assumed he just needed a little more time to fully recover from his surgery. But if that was the case he should be starting to play by now.

I thought he was OK in pre-season. Not great, but OK. If he can't return to form then he certainly needs to be moved. I hope Chevy doesn't pay someone to take on his contract like he did with Mason. The alternative would be a buyout. Two years at 1.444 mil. I think that is manageable.

Those 2 signings prior to last season that we all liked so well are certainly turning out badly. :(

Reactions: GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
After this season, it will be only 1 year left. Trade him the same way Mason was traded. But I hope we don't do that again.
I think Perreault will be easy to trade. He'll have value on the market. Worse comes to worst, you could trade Perreault for a pick or two and then flip the pick(s) to get someone to take Kulikov.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Perreault will be easy to trade. He'll have value on the market. Worse comes to worst, you could trade Perreault for a pick or two and then flip the pick(s) to get someone to take Kulikov.

So then we are sacrificing Perreault's market value to pay someone to take on Kuli's contract. It doesn't matter how you move the pieces around, it is still bad asset management.

I would much rather get something for Perreault and buyout Kulikov. I would rather have bought out Mason and got something for Armia. And kept the picks that we threw in there that everybody seems to forget.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
So then we are sacrificing Perreault's market value to pay someone to take on Kuli's contract. It doesn't matter how you move the pieces around, it is still bad asset management.

I would much rather get something for Perreault and buyout Kulikov. I would rather have bought out Mason and got something for Armia. And kept the picks that we threw in there that everybody seems to forget.

I agree for the most part. I feel like the Mason/Armia deal was partly a panic move (insofar as Chevy does panic) to try to retain Stas, and one that has already impacted our PK, though this may be short-term. Buying out Kuli, if he can't play, is preferable to spending shrinking assets to get someone to take him on -- if it comes to that.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wish we knew why he is sitting. At first I assumed he just needed a little more time to fully recover from his surgery. But if that was the case he should be starting to play by now.

I thought he was OK in pre-season. Not great, but OK. If he can't return to form then he certainly needs to be moved. I hope Chevy doesn't pay someone to take on his contract like he did with Mason. The alternative would be a buyout. Two years at 1.444 mil. I think that is manageable.

Those 2 signings prior to last season that we all liked so well are certainly turning out badly. :(

Just goes to show the best moves on July 1st are usually non moves.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
KV clearly needs to go down to the AHL, he is not benefiting playing 7 minutes a night. Since Maurice doesn't seem to trust Dano, could Lee Stempniak be the answer to the Jets 4th line? Could still be had at pretty much league minimum and not one is going to be too consternated if he has to sit in the PB as opposed to guys like Lemieux and KV who should be seeing ice, either in the NHL or with the Moose.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
KV clearly needs to go down to the AHL, he is not benefiting playing 7 minutes a night. Since Maurice doesn't seem to trust Dano, could Lee Stempniak be the answer to the Jets 4th line? Could still be had at pretty much league minimum and not one is going to be too consternated if he has to sit in the PB as opposed to guys like Lemieux and KV who should be seeing ice, either in the NHL or with the Moose.

Haha, good one.

I think KV is getting minutes right now just because of the 9 game rule, not because he's earned it. I think Dano will replace him after the trial is over.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
DpREfyJW4AExxHu.jpg:large

We're pretending that Perreault sucks again?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Question from the outside.

Trouba, with the contract battles and the cap crunch you guys have coming, what would you be realistically looking for?

We have a young vet like McCabe who is cheap or we could send you our top defensive prospect right on the edge of the league in Guhle. Two firsts that would be available, San Jose and St. Louis. A mix of other stuff to sweeten the pot.

Any chance they move him or are his contract rumors, wanting to be in the states etc, just rumors and the Jets will lock him up? Thanks.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Trouba, with the contract battles and the cap crunch you guys have coming, what would you be realistically looking for?

We have a young vet like McCabe who is cheap or we could send you our top defensive prospect right on the edge of the league in Guhle. Two firsts that would be available, San Jose and St. Louis. A mix of other stuff to sweeten the pot.

Any chance they move him or are his contract rumors, wanting to be in the states etc, just rumors and the Jets will lock him up? Thanks.

JMO, but it is too early to tell. The Jets have to sign Conner and Laine and depending upon what they end up paying those guys, they may have to move a guy like Trouba out to make cap space...and, so far, to me, it just doesn't appear that Trouba wants to sign long term with the Jets.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Most likely he will be traded after this season - not written in stone yet.

Don't know that Buffalo would be high on his list of preferred landing spots.

#1 on the list of preferred returns would be a replacement for Trouba, one way or another. LHD would be secondary.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If the Jets trade Trouba I think they'll be looking for a solid, young top 4 D, plus other future assets.

Guhle might be an interesting asset, but if he can't make the Sabres' D at this point, you have to wonder how much value he would have for the Jets.

I have no idea what the Jets' management think of Risto, but most Jets' fans aren't very impressed. If the Jets' management like him enough, that might be a basis, assuming the Sabres are looking for a top defensive D like Trouba.

Another option might be something around Reinhart (plus a good young D), though I still wonder whether he might be a bit too slow to thrive in the Jets' very high tempo style.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the Jets trade Trouba I think they'll be looking for a solid, young top 4 D, plus other future assets.

Guhle might be an interesting asset, but if he can't make the Sabres' D at this point, you have to wonder how much value he would have for the Jets.

I have no idea what the Jets' management think of Risto, but most Jets' fans aren't very impressed. If the Jets' management like him enough, that might be a basis, assuming the Sabres are looking for a top defensive D like Trouba.

Another option might be something around Reinhart (plus a good young D), though I still wonder whether he might be a bit too slow to thrive in the Jets' very high tempo style.

McCabe and Guhle would be interesting to have, would be a way to instantly address the shortcomings on our left side.
McCabe plays a very physical shutdown style and is an upgrade on Chiarot. Would be the perfect partner for Buff. He does play on the edge but isn't penalized a whole lot. Guhle is a great skater and puck mover but likely more of a 6/7 at best also plays a physical game.

Ristolainen would be a great pickup for our PP and a decent eventual Buff replacement on PP1. He move the puck well and skates well but is not very good in his own end. Those two firsts are interesting too. I'd prefer Trouba being with Buffalo over Toronto as it creates a bit more stability for Buffalo and doesn't make Toronto any better.

Maybe some sort of big trade could happen like Trouba, Perreault, Chiarot or Morrow for Ristolainen, McCabe, Pominville (cap dump) and a 1st. Not sure how close the value is there. Our cap goes up to 75,849,122 so not a huge jump and we just let Pominville walk after the season is over. Of course he has an modified NMC so we would have to be one of the teams on his 20 team trade list. Buffalo saves a bit now but then has to worry about extending Trouba. Our cap jumps a bit but then we get instant savings when Pominville walks.

Morrissey - Risto
McCabe - Buff
Kuli - Myers

Would be great with Chiarot or Morrow out. We'd get Risto and McCabe for a combined $7 mil, save Perreault's $4.125. McCabe would need to be extended but I can't see him taking up a whole lot on his next deal. And we have Risto signed for another 3 seasons just in time for Buff's deal to expire before he would need to be resigned. We keep Niku in the A with some injury call up duty and then next year he fights for a spot.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
McCabe and Guhle would be interesting to have, would be a way to instantly address the shortcomings on our left side.
McCabe plays a very physical shutdown style and is an upgrade on Chiarot. Would be the perfect partner for Buff. He does play on the edge but isn't penalized a whole lot. Guhle is a great skater and puck mover but likely more of a 6/7 at best also plays a physical game.

Ristolainen would be a great pickup for our PP and a decent eventual Buff replacement on PP1. He move the puck well and skates well but is not very good in his own end. Those two firsts are interesting too. I'd prefer Trouba being with Buffalo over Toronto as it creates a bit more stability for Buffalo and doesn't make Toronto any better.

Maybe some sort of big trade could happen like Trouba, Perreault, Chiarot or Morrow for Ristolainen, McCabe, Pominville (cap dump) and a 1st. Not sure how close the value is there. Our cap goes up to 75,849,122 so not a huge jump and we just let Pominville walk after the season is over. Of course he has an modified NMC so we would have to be one of the teams on his 20 team trade list. Buffalo saves a bit now but then has to worry about extending Trouba. Our cap jumps a bit but then we get instant savings when Pominville walks.

Morrissey - Risto
McCabe - Buff
Kuli - Myers

Would be great with Chiarot or Morrow out. We'd get Risto and McCabe for a combined $7 mil, save Perreault's $4.125. McCabe would need to be extended but I can't see him taking up a whole lot on his next deal. And we have Risto signed for another 3 seasons just in time for Buff's deal to expire before he would need to be resigned. We keep Niku in the A with some injury call up duty and then next year he fights for a spot.

There’s definitely something to be done around this framework, assuming Trouba was willing to extend with us. To that you all would know best, I don’t know if it’s a big market thing or if it’s just a USA v Canada issue, but we would need an extension in place.

I would do Risto with a small add for Trouba, we should be fine cap wise. Others on our board would probably freak out because we need defense across the board, but I like Trouba’s skill set better.

Hope something can get done. Thanks everyone.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There’s definitely something to be done around this framework, assuming Trouba was willing to extend with us. To that you all would know best, I don’t know if it’s a big market thing or if it’s just a USA v Canada issue, but we would need an extension in place.

I would do Risto with a small add for Trouba, we should be fine cap wise. Others on our board would probably freak out because we need defense across the board, but I like Trouba’s skill set better.

Hope something can get done. Thanks everyone.

Yeah no one really knows exactly what Trouba wants. There are a lot of rumours out there though so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad