Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Quite a stretch. One is virtually assured a place on the PP due to past usage, the other may not even play in the NHL this season.

I think you're probably wrong.
Exactly Little is guaranteed pp time. So it will be buff/wheeler/schief/laine/connor little/ehlers/myers or Mo or Trouba /Perrault/Roslovic I don't see where anyone sees pp time for Petan.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd imagine Trouba is gone to so if Myers is gone and Buff's contract runs out in a few years. We are up ****s creek in a few years on that right side. Hopefully Green becomes a good player.

Hard to say if they can replace Perreault right away.
No lineup stays static. I'm sure they want to keep Trouba, but if they can't they'll use assets received for him to acquire young D talent. That's how rosters change.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Except...

Trouba Morrissey
Buff Myers
Poolman Kulikov

So 4 RHD there. Bet on it. Buff and 57 together
Not a fan of the idea of Myers on the left with Buff. If it is tried I think it is a short lived experiment. I think Poolman ends up being the odd man out due to being waiver exempt. My best guess is:

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kuli-Myers
Chiarot

Though I hope Niku gets a real look with Buff. My hoped for is:

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Kuli-Myers
Morrow

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Except...

Trouba Morrissey
Buff Myers
Poolman Kulikov

So 4 RHD there. Bet on it. Buff and 57 together

I'll trust Bob McKenzie's opinion with everything NHL draft related. He's also a reliable source of information with regards to speculation on trades.

Roster decisions, not so much. Quite often the national media guys pick up on rampant speculation from the local media. I think that's the case here. Niku/Byfuglien,Kulikov/Myers>>>>>Myers/Byfuglien, Kulikov/Poolman.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'll trust Bob McKenzie's opinion with everything NHL draft related. He's also a reliable source of information with regards to speculation on trades.

Roster decisions, not so much. Quite often the national media guys pick up on rampant speculation from the local media. I think that's the case here. Niku/Byfuglien,Kulikov/Myers>>>>>Myers/Byfuglien, Kulikov/Poolman.
Agreed. The national media is not particularly insightful or up to speed on roster decisions. No one really cares outside of the local market.

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
Exactly Little is guaranteed pp time. So it will be buff/wheeler/schief/laine/connor little/ehlers/myers or Mo or Trouba /Perrault/Roslovic I don't see where anyone sees pp time for Petan.

PP1 is all right hand shots with a leftie behind the net. I don't think it would be a bad idea to try Petan behind the net and move Connor over to the second unit. Take advantage of what Petan does best and add some extra scoring punch to the second unit. I'm not sure Maurice would actually do this, but it makes sense IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think they will be able to move Kulikov if they really need to, unless his play falls way off. Trade Perreault for picks, then flip picks with Kulikov to a team with space.

The issue with Kuli is his back. If that is good and he plays like he did for us earlier last year, then he has some market value. But his contract is too high. Always was. We retain but get something back.

Are you saying we pay someone to take him off our hands? Once was enough for me.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree, Barkov is my pipedream, but my underlying thought is maybe moving Trouba for a legit 1B centerman to match with Laine, and back Scheif, like Nahville did with Jones, is better than going for another right d man

I can see that as plan B. Another RHD is plan A. Myers does not remotely replace Trouba. Neither does Poolman. Buff isn't going to last forever. With Trouba gone RHD becomes our #1 need - by a wide margin.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The issue with Kuli is his back. If that is good and he plays like he did for us earlier last year, then he has some market value. But his contract is too high. Always was. We retain but get something back.

Are you saying we pay someone to take him off our hands? Once was enough for me.
Once might have been enough for you, but I can almost guarantee you it won't be the last time Chevy puts that option into play. As much as you try to map out future cap needs things happen and you sometimes have to take assertive steps to shed salary. A year ago when Helly was still a question mark and the organization had lived through 6 years of below league average goaltending getting someone with a proven track record made sense even over priced at $4.1 M. But then after a breakthrough Vesina finalist season and a pending $6 M contract, all of a sudden a $4.1 M backup needed to be dumped. The cost while not insignificant could easily be absorbed through internal competition.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If the Jets have to, they could take a pick that they receive for Perreault to induce a team to take Kulikov. After all, Perreault cost the Jets nothing to acquire. Neither did Kulikov, for that matter.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree, Barkov is my pipedream, but my underlying thought is maybe moving Trouba for a legit 1B centerman to match with Laine, and back Scheif, like Nahville did with Jones, is better than going for another right d man

Perhaps Laine is Florida's pipe dream.

For shits & giggles Laine & Trouba for Huberdeau, Bjugstad & Ekblad?

(duck & run for cover)

Huberdeau Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Little Ehlers
Copp Lowry Tanev
Perreault Roslovic Bjugstad

Morrissey Ekblad
Niku Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If the Jets have to, they could take a pick that they receive for Perreault to induce a team to take Kulikov. After all, Perreault cost the Jets nothing to acquire. Neither did Kulikov, for that matter.
Kuli may not have cost anything to acquire but he sure was expensive for a 5/6

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Once might have been enough for you, but I can almost guarantee you it won't be the last time Chevy puts that option into play. As much as you try to map out future cap needs things happen and you sometimes have to take assertive steps to shed salary. A year ago when Helly was still a question mark and the organization had lived through 6 years of below league average goaltending getting someone with a proven track record made sense even over priced at $4.1 M. But then after a breakthrough Vesina finalist season and a pending $6 M contract, all of a sudden a $4.1 M backup needed to be dumped. The cost while not insignificant could easily be absorbed through internal competition.
You explain Mason so well. What was the thinking behind paying Kulikov so much money when the Jets planned on playing him on the 3rd pairing?

Reactions: KingBogo

Whileee

May 29, 2010

For ****s & giggles Laine Dano & Trouba for Huberdeau, Bjugstad & Ekblad?

(duck & run for cover)

Connor Little Ehlers
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Ekblad
Niku Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers
That is flat out terrible. Good grief!

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You explain Mason so well. What was the thinking behind paying Kulikov so much money when the Jets planned on playing him on the 3rd pairing?
I was less of a supporter of the Kuli signing though our left side was also a question mark going into the season. Morrissey had a promising rookie season, but after that you had a declining Toby and a not ready for prime time Chiarot. IMO Kuli would have been a good signing at 2 years, but likely he was going somewhere else for more term. Mostly I don't like UFA signings. They rarely work out well.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

For ****s & giggles Laine & Trouba for Huberdeau, Bjugstad & Ekblad?

(duck & run for cover)

Connor Little Ehlers
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Ekblad
Niku Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers

Yup, nope

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We needed to dump cap. I don't agree that was the best way to do it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Moving a similar sized contract in Mason cost Armia + 4th + 7th - Bourque. That is a lot more than just 'a' pick.

A pick acquired for Perreault is no different than any other pick we have. Assets is assets. If you are going to start saying that these assets never cost anything then none of our own picks cost us anything either. We are given 7 of them every year for free.

That said, yes Kulikov can be moved if we pay someone to take him off our hands. Any bad contract can be moved for a price.

As it stands right now, he can't be traded without paying someone to take him. After he has a good season this year, :thumbu: he could be traded if we retain some salary. Since it would only be for the one year, that shouldn't he hard to swallow. We recover whatever salary we don't retain. And we even get an asset of some kind in exchange. Maybe not much, but something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad