Rumor: Rumour and Proposals Thread: "Keep Your Eyes on Edmonton"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I am not trying to say "HEY LET'S JUST TRADE THE WORLD AND OVERPAY FOR 2 YEARS OF SUCCESS", but something has to give here folks.

Why have we sucked for so long? Drafting is #1, yes. WE NEVER MAKE ANY BIG MOVES LIKE OTHER TEAMS DO BECAUSE WE ARE SO SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES.

Yes, Larsson was a bad trade.BUT YOU HAVE TO START WINNING AND COLLECTING ACTUAL NHL TALENT.

we are stuck in a revolving door of jerking off over prospects and where they will finish.

You need a timeline of both. You need established talent and you need to trade even valuable prospects for more established talent.

You need some sort of plan. You have 97 and 29 sitting there. I am sorry, you need to go big now. Don't worry about every prospect that you think might get big. YOU GOT 2 MOTHER EFFIN ART ROSS AND MVP PLAYERS SITTING IN YOUR BARN.

GIVE THEM SOME GOD DAMN SUPPORT FFS and worry about the sports cycle of sucking later.
Don’t yell at me.:laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would go after TJ Brodie and move Klefbom out.

TJ Brodie at 5.75 x 5 with massive signing bonuses + front loaded deal

Three way deal:

To AZ: EDM 1st round pick (14th overall) + Chiasson
To NJ: Klefbom + Puljujarvi
To EDM: Kuemper + NJ 1st round pick (20th overall) + Zacha

Reactions: McBooya42

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Brodie has a way better point shot than Klefbom at this point, he would rack up a lot of points on our PP. He is also a better actual defender than OEL or Klefbom or Barrie at this point. He can also play either LD or RD. Good outlet pass too.

I like the sizzle on OEL, but Brodie is probably a cheaper option that accomplishes a lot of the same things (improve the back end) while leaving the Oilers with assets to go chase a really good goalie and lesser term on his deal.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
This is a little flawed logic, because we are talking about hockey teams and a business.

You know why a lot of businesses fail to grasp any sort of social media audience or any audience in general? They NEVER GIVE ANY VALUE in their posts. I would say 99% fail at it.

Let's say you have a big signage business, golf course, whatever in Edmonton. Most business owners will never ever want to reveal how they do things. Their process, etc. They are scared somebody will copy them.

The fact is, if you had some sort of business and you gave 100 human beings the tools, the supplies, everything imaginable to succeed and make a sh** load of money, MAYBE 1-5 will follow through. That's a fact. people are lazy and inconsistent. They don't want to sacrifice what it takes to be successful.

I think of the Oilers like that when they worry so much about giving away their "Secrets" (prospects) for established players. If you know the guy you are getting back is legit, why the f*** are you worrying about giving somebody your prospect or overpaying a bit?

Who cares. If you believe in your timeline, just do it. I get past faults in scouting failures, but you have to have a philosophy.

ken Holland isn't dumb. He knows there is a timeline to win. I hope he doesn't care about outside influences. God this franchise is like that "Beggers can't be choosers" line. He shouldn't be scared to try to hit some home runs

Hockey and sports are cyclical. You will suck. With good management and scouting, you can suck for a lot less time.

Mark MacCrimmon

Sep 29, 2020
Ending up with OEL-Barrie for 4-5 years with prime McD/Drai sounds pretty darn good, as an understatement, but Ken won't trade Bouch so idk if OEL can get done. By that time Broberg-Bouchard would be ready to take over the team.

Trading Khaira for Timmies for a year and signing Sheahan to 4C would be ok, but Haas at 4C isbbetter and cheaper than both imo. In 2017-18 I was wishing they would try Juje on the Drai-McD line, but he didn't improve in that good year, he regressed further. Flashes in the pan only.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Crazy that people don't want Barrie when he's just come off his worst season and still outscored every defenceman we had.
He had a dramatically negative effect on the GF% of nearly every linemate he played with at 5 on 5 last season the vast majority doing better without him than with him, he failed the all important create more than you give up test.

My gut reaction was I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him on a short term deal with a reasonable cap-hit, but it's a bit weird having a skilled offensive defenseman with a fairly long track record of not meshing very well with elite skill. I'm also going to say he's a poor substitute for Klefbom we need a guy we are comfortable with playing into tough minute situations, Barrie needs an o-zone start bias and to be hidden from stiff competition.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I am not trying to say "HEY LET'S JUST TRADE THE WORLD AND OVERPAY FOR 2 YEARS OF SUCCESS", but something has to give here folks.

Why have we sucked for so long? Drafting is #1, yes. WE NEVER MAKE ANY BIG MOVES LIKE OTHER TEAMS DO BECAUSE WE ARE SO SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES.

Yes, Larsson was a bad trade.BUT YOU HAVE TO START WINNING AND COLLECTING ACTUAL NHL TALENT.

we are stuck in a revolving door of jerking off over prospects and where they will finish.

You need a timeline of both. You need established talent and you need to trade even valuable prospects for more established talent.

You need some sort of plan. You have 97 and 29 sitting there. I am sorry, you need to go big now. Don't worry about every prospect that you think might get big. YOU GOT 2 MOTHER EFFIN ART ROSS AND MVP PLAYERS SITTING IN YOUR BARN.

GIVE THEM SOME GOD DAMN SUPPORT FFS and worry about the sports cycle of sucking later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad