Rumor: Rumour and Proposals Thread: "Keep Your Eyes on Edmonton"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How is the team worse than last year if we acquire a defenseman that is better than the defenseman he’s replacing?

I'm not saying with OEL, even without him things will be tight. Didn't realize how tight until I really looked at it. Not adding anyone major, if we add OEL he's it for the add. And we'll have some subtractions from the group.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
This Klefbom news is tough. I was already on board with acquiring OEL but even more so now.

If Klef is out long term, do we have an extra 4 million in cap to work with?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I'm not saying with OEL, even without him things will be tight. Didn't realize how tight until I really looked at it. Not adding anyone major, if we add OEL he's it for the add. And we'll have some subtractions from the group.

i would subtract Neal and Kassian

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
People need to realize... the Oilers have had nothing concrete on the backend since 97 and 29 have been leading the pack. Heading into next season ..it will be year 6. They need to bring someone with some pedigree to help move things forward.

You can't continue chasing tails when your draft record of picking any impactful defenseman has been less then stellar. At some point , you have to give McDavid and Drai something concrete to work with. OEL is just flat out better then anyone in our system. He can also be the perfect mentor to Broberg.

Guys like Klefbom are easy to replace. They are soft and apprehensive in thier approach to the game.

Most Oiler media/fans tend to overrate thier players. Klefbom falls into this category.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Does Craig Smith play centre much? Would he be a good choice for a right handed 3C?

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
It’s a risk yes. In my opinion, it’s worth taking because he’s 29, not 39

He has high AAV with lots of term left, the Coyotes (and most of the NHL) are in a money crunch... I would say the leverage is ours. If we go after him, I'm looking at something closer to the Subban trade than anything proposed on here. Broberg and Bouchard are a nope. Russell is included and the only way I include the 14th pick is if salary is retained or Neal is going the other way.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
People need to realize... the Oilers have had nothing concrete on the backend since 97 and 29 have been leading the pack. Heading into next season ..it will be year 6. They need to bring someone with some pedigree to help move things forward.

You can't continue chasing tails when your draft record of picking any impactful defenseman has been less then stellar. At some point , you have to give McDavid and Drai something concrete to work with. OEL is just flat out better then anyone in our system. He can also be the perfect mentor to Broberg.

Guys like Klefbom are easy to replace. They are soft and apprehensive in thier approach to the game.

Most Oiler media/fans tend to overrate thier players. Klefbom falls into this category.
OEL is overrated. Not the same d-man as he was 2 years ago.

Reactions: VainGretzky

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

10000% accurate

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Like every year where we end up avg or crap?

I don't think its a great idea to not only overpay to get OEL, but to have to probably buy him out towards the end of his career as well.
I don't hate the player, but I haaate the contract.

If this team is looking to get puck movers then the simple act of trying to get a guy such as Barrie (who was before Toronto regarded in a pretty high standard) or Krug, etc and moving
Jones in by replacing Russell and someone like Larsson (who could be moved for a winger and/or picks) would achieve that without giving up a really good pick in a deep draft (or prospect depth)
We have 2-3 high quality defenseman who might be that #1 guy in a couple years.

That said, I don't know if Mrazek is the answer (just what I expect much like Smith last year). I think he can be pretty hot/cold type, but I also don't see Anderson, Kemper or Murray coming either by trade.
I have a lot of time for Holtby if the term and $$$ are short, but after him? Not sure there is a home run although I personally like Raanta as sort of cheap buy.
Very very good goalie, but has the obvious health issues.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
With the goalie market flooded, it would be a shame to give up any kind of significant asset to get one.

ELCs are going to immensely valuable in a flat cap world. Contracts like Bear, Jones, Bouchard, Broberg, and Samorukov will be worth their weight in gold. Even though I don't all those guys will play for us it doesn't mean we blow all our trading chips.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Does Craig Smith play centre much? Would he be a good choice for a right handed 3C?
Craig Smith is a very good RW. Whoever signs him will be getting a surefire third line RW at the very least. Usually a lock for 20 goals. But he hasn't been a regular C for some time.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

I don't think anyone dislikes OEL, really. I think you'd find that most people think he's probably an upgrade.
The issue is .... his contact .... is ... awful, and if the player continues to trend downwards it'll make the Lucic deal
look like the appetizer in comparison. It's the type of deal that could really help or cripple this team for years.
I personally don't think its worth it in comparison to whats available, and given the depth of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad