Rumor: Rumour and Proposals Thread: "Keep Your Eyes on Edmonton"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
wouldnt go anywhere near barrie even on a short term.

Can I ask why? Before Toronto he was held in a pretty high regard. Here's a 10-15 goal, 40-50pts
right handed offensive producing guy. His production levels are comparable to OEL ....
His +/- isn't any worse than OEL's (in fact, better career wise), and you can probably get him under a pretty good deal / term.
Not only that but you give up zero assets to do it.

Reactions: Vagabond

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Can I ask why? Before Toronto he was held in a pretty high regard. Here's a 10-15 goal, 40-50pts
right handed offensive producing guy. His production levels are comparable to OEL ....
His +/- isn't any better than OEL's, and you can probably get him under a pretty good deal / term.
If Barrie comes cheap on a 1 year deal I’m all for it.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Craig Smith is a very good RW. Whoever signs him will be getting a surefire third line RW at the very least. Usually a lock for 20 goals. But he hasn't been a regular C for some time.

Yeah well NSH has a bunch of players who have played centre. I would definitely talk to him about his preference, if he prefers to play centre he'd be one of my top candidates. If not then Soderberg.

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
His +/- isn't any better than OEL's, and you can probably get him under a pretty good deal / term.
even on a short term deal i doubt he takes a 'show me you can bounce back' deal and i also personally feel like his best years may very well be behind him.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
even on a short term deal i doubt he takes a 'show me you can bounce back' deal and i also personally feel like his best years may very well be behind him.

and your certain, OEL (who is almost exactly same age btw) doesn't have his best years behind him?
You'd risk that contract (and assets) in comparison? assuming your pro-OEL that is ...

Mark MacCrimmon

Sep 29, 2020
The best part of a Barrie deal for me would be it can help get us through the expansion draft without losing Jones. We want to protect 7F, we don't want to have to protect 4D. If we can sign Barrie short term, he replaces Larsson's roster spot and we can trade Larsson for some combo of pick + player. Then we can trade pick for something else in a package if we want, be that OEL, DeBrusk if BOS gets Taylor Hall, etc. Next year Barrie hopefully produces big with us, and we protect Klef/OEL, Nurse, and Bear, and we sweeten the pot if we have to so Barrie gets picked up by Kraken over Jones. Likely Barrie is higher value to Seattle than Larsson. Barrie gains value, we gain point production and lateral assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patch101

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
People need to realize... the Oilers have had nothing concrete on the backend since 97 and 29 have been leading the pack. Heading into next season ..it will be year 6. They need to bring someone with some pedigree to help move things forward.

You can't continue chasing tails when your draft record of picking any impactful defenseman has been less then stellar. At some point , you have to give McDavid and Drai something concrete to work with. OEL is just flat out better then anyone in our system. He can also be the perfect mentor to Broberg.

Guys like Klefbom are easy to replace. They are soft and apprehensive in thier approach to the game.

Most Oiler media/fans tend to overrate thier players. Klefbom falls into this category.

Nah man. We need to make the perfect deals very time. That's the only way we will win. Maybe we win by the time 97 and 29 are about 35..Embarassing. Holland better be going all in now. We have been shi**y for years. I will take being sh** again if it means we start winning. It's just a god damn sport. Don't waste any more years of 2 MVP players FFS

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I wonder what Eakin's next contract will look like. His numbers are among the lowest of his peer group.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
The best part of a Barrie deal for me would be it can get us through the expansion draft without losing Jones. We want to protect 7F, we don't want to have to protect 4D. If we can sign Barrie short term, he replaces Larsson's roster spot and we can trade Larsson for some combo of pick + player. Then we can trade pick for something else in a package if we want, be that OEL, DeBrusk if BOS gets Taylor Hall, etc. Then Barrie hopefully produces big with us, and gets picked up by Kraken. Barrie gains value, we gain point production and lateral assets.

I think its possible. The guy is one year removed from a 14 goal, 59pts season who was also very good in that playoff push getting another 8pts in 12 games.
It stuns me that some people don't like or entertain the possibility.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I have a feeling we are about to do something stupid.. Bouchard should not be trade at all. He has all the tools to be a 50 point Dman that can move the puck better then anyone we have had in 10 years. OEL at 8.25 mil isn't the awnser. Krug is a free agent so is Barrie. Take your assets somewhere else or use them clear cap space..
I swear if they trade them they well regret it massively.
Schremp had all of the tools to score 50 as well. Everybody bitched at mac T for not bringing him up.

God, Oiler fans have the biggest fetish for magic beans from Walmart than any proven talent. That is why we have stunk up the joint and embarrassed our franchise for 10+ years.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I like Khaira and wanted to see him improve, but I'm ready to cut him loose. Odds are he isn't a 20 point centre. I would bury him in the minors and sign a vet for next season. Or maybe grab someone on early waivers.

Reactions: Patch101

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Schremp had all of the tools to score 50 as well. Everybody bitched at mac T for not bringing him up.

God, Oiler fans have the biggest fetish for magic beans from Walmart than any proven talent. That is why we have stunk up the joint and embarrassed our franchise for 10+ years.

They have def. have stunk up the joint for years because we can't draft and/or develop beyond the 1st round.
They need to have more draft success and more guys like Bear to develop.

#1 problem this team has had for a long time.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
OEL is overrated. Not the same d-man as he was 2 years ago.

Such a blank statement without context. Even most ARZ fans acknowledge that the team has been hot garbage, he has been tasked to carry a team with terrible offense, no center depth and a coach who he is at ends with. With all that, they still acknowledge he is still a top pair material

Any way you try and justify it, OEL is still better than an Oiler dman ATM, and that alone makes the team better automatically

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd have to disagree. We can't afford to have that experiment fail. Pay a little extra to get a better chance of a good fit.
If the better options don’t want to come here/want too much money we would have to look at Eakin as an alternative and I wouldn’t mind it. Would I prefer someone better? Absolutely.

Reactions: jukon

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If the Oilers can get Arizona to bite 1 million plus...I would take a run at OEL. 29, and playing with the games best forwards might ignite that fire within him again.

29 for a dman is basically prime years. OEL is also not injury prone. The Oilers easily get 4 to 5 solid years from him. In that time... Broberg and Bouchard will take the torch.

Ekman Larsson is getting severely underrated around here. He is a superior player then Klef and Adam Larsson, and has high hockey intelligence.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
They have def. have stunk up the joint for years because we can't draft and/or develop beyond the 1st round.
They need to have more draft success and more guys like Bear to develop.

#1 problem this team has had for a long time.
I am not trying to say "HEY LET'S JUST TRADE THE WORLD AND OVERPAY FOR 2 YEARS OF SUCCESS", but something has to give here folks.

Why have we sucked for so long? Drafting is #1, yes. WE NEVER MAKE ANY BIG MOVES LIKE OTHER TEAMS DO BECAUSE WE ARE SO SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES.

Yes, Larsson was a bad trade.BUT YOU HAVE TO START WINNING AND COLLECTING ACTUAL NHL TALENT.

we are stuck in a revolving door of jerking off over prospects and where they will finish.

You need a timeline of both. You need established talent and you need to trade even valuable prospects for more established talent.

You need some sort of plan. You have 97 and 29 sitting there. I am sorry, you need to go big now. Don't worry about every prospect that you think might get big. YOU GOT 2 MOTHER EFFIN ART ROSS AND MVP PLAYERS SITTING IN YOUR BARN.

GIVE THEM SOME GOD DAMN SUPPORT FFS and worry about the sports cycle of sucking later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad