Rumor: Rumour and Proposals Thread: I'll Trade You My Banana For Your Dunkaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeh, AA seemed to score on the lowly Wings, and every single Wings fans wanted him to get the F off the team despite that. Huge red flag if you ask me, then he comes here and you watch him do nothing or do stupid most of the time and you start to see where Wings fans were coming from.

As an Oilers fan I think we are all hoping for immediate gratification, any chance to make some noise in the playoffs we'll take it cause we've been so starved of any success. But if he sat on his hands at least it would have been understandable since Holland's viewpoint was always "we aren't there yet" which made sense when actually look at the team.

When a team is going bad, players always get scape goated. People here thought they were geniuses for chasing Taylor Hall out and labelling him a problem player and many other good players out of town because someone needed to be blamed other than just the coach and management.

Look at the 2nd round drafts from 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.

Tell me how many forwards there are better than AA. There's Sebastian Aho who is a complete fluke outlier that happens once every decade or so, but past that there's not a lot.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So here's the roster next year if everything Holland has said today/yesterday (no buyouts, no big FAs, Russell's still here, keeping $1 million in cap space) can be taken at face value:

UFA ($2 million)-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
LW in trade (~$2 million)-UFA (~2 million)-Neal
Khaira-Haas-Archibald
Russell Nygard

Nurse-Bear
Russell-Larsson
Jones-Bouchard
Lagesson/UFA (~$800k)

Koskinen
Smith/UFA (~$1.5 million)

That's... not good folks. BEST case, Chiasson is traded for an Anders Bjork, and those free agents are Galchenyuk, Haula, plus someone like Gravel or Derrick Pouliot. Goal is still unstable, McDavid still doesn't have a high-end target, and the D is somehow worse.

How can Holland look at that team and think he's improved it?
Probably can't, so it's probably like kids and tweeners is all you can really hope for.

So you're looking at.

Ennis($3M) - McDavid - Kassian
Nuge - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Chiasson - McLeod - Neal
Nygard - Haas - Archibald
Khaira, Russell

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russell - Bouchard
Borowiecki($1.25M)

Koskinen
Griess ($4M)

Maybe improvement, hopefully not so lesson learning?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Probably can't, so it's probably like kids and tweeners is all you can really hope for.

So you're looking at.

Ennis($3M) - McDavid - Kassian
Nuge - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Chiasson - McLeod - Neal
Nygard - Haas - Archibald
Khaira, Russell

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russell - Bouchard
Borowiecki($1.25M)

Koskinen
Griess ($4M)

Maybe improvement, hopefully not so lesson learning?
In what world does Ennis make 3million when we’re not even going to give AA that?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
That one made no damn sense.
And the Gryba one. Gryba later signed with the Devils for $700K. Chiarelli could have buried him in the minors for a year or traded him to New Jersey and retained $200K for one season instead of spreading $600K of dead cap over two. Just no plan whatsoever.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We will have to wait and see. Like usual. I don't expect much but ya never know.

Sure and I don't have any big expectations either although I fully expect him to sign a top 4 Dman, he better. I'm just saying not to take anything he, or the media for that matter, says too literally as he's made out of nowhere moves multiple times already in his first year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure and I don't have any big expectations either although I fully expect him to sign a top 4 Dman, he better. I'm just saying not to take anything he, or the media for that matter, says too literally as he's made out of nowhere moves multiple times already in his first year.
I think there is also zero chance we add a top 4 goalie this off season. Maybe a Hutton or Ceci type for like 2 mill but I think that's the one thing we have zero chance of really doing.
We will see though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
When a team is going bad, players always get scape goated. People here thought they were geniuses for chasing Taylor Hall out and labelling him a problem player and many other good players out of town because someone needed to be blamed other than just the coach and management.

Look at the 2nd round drafts from 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.

Tell me how many forwards there are better than AA. There's Sebastian Aho who is a complete fluke outlier that happens once every decade or so, but past that there's not a lot.

I agree that 2nd round picks are mostly voodoo. But the Oilers are a team that can essentially NEVER rely on a trade or a UFA signing to bolster a roster. If we get a good player that stays, it's cause we somehow lucked out at the draft (ie. Bear) or just built up year by year with our high first round picks. It's still 2 2nds that were lost, 2 2nds that have value in this league and could have been used elsewhere.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think there is also zero chance we add a top 4 goalie this off season. Maybe a Hutton or Ceci type for like 2 mill but I think that's the one thing we have zero chance of really doing.
We will see though.

Zero chance? Can't agree with that at all. I can't see Holland letting that 4.2M Klef money go to waste and the one thing he knows is importance of defense.
I think if he doesn't bring in a top 4 Dman it'll be because they didn't want to sign here, not because he didn't try. I think the goalie and #3C will be more bargain bin shopping.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I'm going to give Holland a couple of days (probably until Sunday).

Who knows what happens in the next couple of days? Maybe AA resigns in Free Agency

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Let's see - we have $8,766,172 in cap space for next season.

If we can trade Russell without retaining, that brings us to $12,766,172. Putting Klefbom on LTIR gives us, for all intents and purposes, another $4,167,00. So in total, $14,233,172.

We need to qualify Bear and Lagesson. Lagesson is negligible, and let's say Bear gets ~$2mil on a bridge deal. Also let's assume we're signing Pulju for ~$1.2mil.

That leaves us with $11,033,172 in cap space to sign a top 4 defenseman, 3c, backup goalie, and Mcwinger.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think they'll find a cheap 3C like Cousins if worse comes to worse. That's not a make or break position.
There are honestly a TON of guys who are out there that qualify as a #3C

Soderberg
Grant
Haula
Girgensons
Lewis
Janmark
Sobodka
D Shore
J Larsson
Sheahan again

There really are alot of bodies to fill that spot out there imo.

Reactions: McAsuno

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If we're looking at Markstrom it means Koskinen is gone? Don't really see the point ... their numbers are pretty much identical.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Friedman just also said he wonders if Edmonton is one of the teams who take a long look at Jacob Markstrom.

He also said the Blues were interested in OEL but didn't make his list along with Calgary and Edmonton.
I thought it was reported Markstrom noped out of Edmonton as an option already?

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad