Rumor: Rumour and Proposals Thread: I'll Trade You My Banana For Your Dunkaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't use Covid to entirely absolve Holland of any responsibility here for the AA situation. He spent the two 2nd round picks and traded for AA pre-Covid. AA sucked Pre-Covid. Also sucked Post-Covid. Sure, AA gets another shot at proving himself if the Covid flat cap didn't happen, but it still required AA to prove himself and from what I've seen of the player, he sucks, no IQ, overhandles the puck, his speed and skill seemed very overrated as we saw nearly none of it in his time here.

Dude scored 30 goals the year before and is only 26 years old, we got him without giving up a 1st or a roster player.

People seriously overrated the f*** out of 2nd round picks.

The odds of a 2nd round pick even scoring 20 goals, let alone 30 goals, in an NHL season is maybe 2%.

The Habs just gave up Max Domi for a player with similar production to AA. The Pens gave up a mid-1st for Kapanen.

Reactions: 3IR

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
With the bottom of the barrel UFA options that will only be available (for the Oilers), the loss of Klefbom, we are looking like we'll be worse than last year. The only thing that can save it is the graduation of Bouchard... but it doesn't seem like that's in the plans for this year.

Says who? If Benning isn’t here that’s where Bouchard is going.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Don't use Covid to entirely absolve Holland of any responsibility here for the AA situation. He spent the two 2nd round picks and traded for AA pre-Covid. AA sucked Pre-Covid. Also sucked Post-Covid. Sure, AA gets another shot at proving himself if the Covid flat cap didn't happen, but it still required AA to prove himself and from what I've seen of the player, he sucks, no IQ, overhandles the puck, his speed and skill seemed very overrated as we saw nearly none of it in his time here.
The guy has a career average of 22 goals and 42 points over an 82 game season, while being 1 season removed from scoring 30 goals and 50+ points, all while playing on a team even worse than ours.

It really wasn't crazy for anyone to give up 2 seconds for him especially with his upcoming RFA status. The flat cap is the biggest reason this is an issue. I bet you'd have been just as upset if holland sat on his hands at the trade deadline.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not a huge sample size and he had moments. Hard to build chemistry that quick.

Yes small sample size and there were a few moments (underwhelming and sparse moments, but they were kind of there). Then I saw the play-in round where he was just horrible and dumb.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I think Holland not wanting to spend the ~$5M to qualify AA and Benning means the opposite of bargain bin shopping. I can't see him letting a 30-goal scorer go for free if there isn't an upgrade he has his eye on.
Hmm. You'd think a guy with his experience just might have an idea of what he's doing hey? Maybe? Then again, the keyboard GMs on this board always figure they know better, and that they've got all the $%*# figured out. Phhhh. Rinse and repeat man. Just wait and give the guy a chance to do his job hey? Contrary to some beliefs here, we actually did improve last year under his watch. Let's see what he can do in year two before grabbing the flunking pitchforks maybe?

Reactions: Del Preston

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maybe? Holland straight up said he wants like 1-2 mill as a buffer. So that leaves us say 7 mill in space for a 7d, Bear, 1B goalie at minimum. If we get Bear at 2.5 and spend a total of 2 mill on the other 2 that leaves us 2.5 mill for a 3c or top 6 winger.

It also sounds like they are probably planning on keeping Russell to cover for Klefbom.

It also sounds like we are probably resigning Puljujarvi... Probably for 1.5 so that doesn't leave us with much.
We also don't have the assets to clear out our bad cap.

It's possible but bargain hunting is probably what we do.

Holland always undersells. Everybody thought he was done before the Lucic trade, nobody in their right mind thought he would go all in at the deadline as he was talking about a few tweaks possibly leading up to the deadline. This isn't MacT, this guy never tips his hand (outside of the not drafting a Dman comment).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Says who? If Benning isn’t here that’s where Bouchard is going.
Hopefully. It seems like there's not much hype around Bouchard being "ready", but there is no doubt in my mind that Bouchard at any stage of his NHL development would have been an upgrade over Benning.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The guy has a career average of 22 goals and 42 points, while being 1 season removed from scoring 30 goals and 50+ points, all while playing on a team even worse than ours.

It really wasn't crazy for anyone to give up 2 seconds for him especially with his upcoming RFA status. The flat cap is the biggest reason this is an issue. I bet you'd have been just as upset if holland sat on his hands at the trade deadline.

I think the intention of this trade was not just to rent a bottom 6 upgrade, but was also to trade for a 25 year old former 30 goal scorer and extend him.

But covid f***ed the latter.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I was hard on Hall when he was here, and wasn't upset when he left. I thought we got robbed, but that Larsson was going to be a good Dman so it would soften the blow.

Since that time, Larsson seems more like a bottom pairing Dman outside of 1 great season, and I regret thinking Hall ever had to go. I would welcome him back with open arms.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I did not realize the Oilers have $32.7M in cap space next July. Only 8 players + Klefbom are signed but Holland will get a chance to really shape the team the way he wants to.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The guy has a career average of 22 goals and 42 points, while being 1 season removed from scoring 30 goals and 50+ points, all while playing on a team even worse than ours.

Yeh, AA seemed to score on the lowly Wings, and every single Wings fans wanted him to get the F off the team despite that. Huge red flag if you ask me, then he comes here and you watch him do nothing or do stupid most of the time and you start to see where Wings fans were coming from.

As an Oilers fan I think we are all hoping for immediate gratification, any chance to make some noise in the playoffs we'll take it cause we've been so starved of any success. But if he sat on his hands at least it would have been understandable since Holland's viewpoint was always "we aren't there yet" which made sense when actually look at the team.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hopefully. It seems like there's not much hype around Bouchard being "ready", but there is no doubt in my mind that Bouchard at any stage of his NHL development would have been an upgrade over Benning.

I think you’re reading too much into the hype present on this board. This board often changes its opinion on players depending on moon phase.

He’ll be on the roster next year.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I think the intention of this trade was not just to rent a bottom 6 upgrade, but was also to trade for a 25 year old former 30 goal scorer and extend him.

But covid f***ed the latter.
Agreed. It really wasn't as big a risk as people are acting like, as even if he didn't work out, I'm sure we could have recovered a second rounder for his rights if the cap wasn't flat.

It was a relatively low risk move at the time, that looks far worse thanks to factors outside of anyones control or expectations.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I was hard on Hall when he was here, and wasn't upset when he left. I thought we got robbed, but that Larsson was going to be a good Dman so it would soften the blow.

Since that time, Larsson seems more like a bottom pairing Dman outside of 1 great season, and I regret thinking Hall ever had to go. I would welcome him back with open arms.

The guy never wanted to leave in the first place. It would be sweet for him to return. I personally doubt it since he's gonna be chasing a cup, and Colorado is definitely a team in general that could lock him in. But come home, Hallsy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holland always undersells. Everybody thought he was done before the Lucic trade, nobody in their right mind thought he would go all in at the deadline as he was talking about a few tweaks possibly leading up to the draft. This isn't MacT, this guy never tips his hand (outside of the not drafting a Dman comment).
We will have to wait and see. Like usual. I don't expect much but ya never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad