Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. III - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Even if he has overcome his neck injury, Eichel has always been injury prone.

Not a huge issue but it would also make the Isles top three centers all RH.

If there was a deal, Nelson would likely be traded elsewhere for assets to move to Buffalo. Minnesota? 1st and 3rd?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Pelech goes for higher that 5MAAV unless it's short-term, and that's bad for us in the long run. I see between 6-6.5MAAV being the correct range. I know comparables like Slavin make less, but he got paid earlier.

Also I don't see the point in trading for Eichel unless it's to replace NYI's #1C, not Brock Nelson.
Jacob Slavin would never be the comparable for Pelech. He's more offensive. And you're right, the market has moved on since he signed.

Brandon Carlo should be the comparable for Pelech. I'd love it if Pelech would sign for under $5M, but I think we're going to have to offer at least that much money.

Reactions: IslesRock4

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I think Pelech goes for higher that 5MAAV unless it's short-term, and that's bad for us in the long run. I see between 6-6.5MAAV being the correct range. I know comparables like Slavin make less, but he got paid earlier.

Also I don't see the point in trading for Eichel unless it's to replace NYI's #1C, not Brock Nelson.
There’s just no way Pelech is getting $6m. I love Adam but Slavin is the better player. Their production was similar this year but Slavin is pretty consistently a 30+ point scorer, was on pace for 40+ in 2020 before the season was paused. Adam hasn’t touched those type of numbers yet, he has not earned $1m more per year than him.

Slavin being paid earlier is really an argument that Pelech’s contract should be lower than his, given the flat cap and smaller contracts that we’re already starting to see these past couple offseasons.

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
Want no part of Eichel. I hope the Rangers trade the farm for him. He has injury issues and would love the Rangers to have $21.6m tied up in two players (Eichel/Panarin). They would be Toronto south - high scoring regular season and playoff washouts. You can't lock up more than 25% of your cap in two players and expect to compete anymore. Islanders have proven that the last two years.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Scumbag? Wow, ok.

Every organization he has left there has been public or at the very least rumored character issues.

Politically outspoken, attention seeker who has been reported making racists comments… and that doesn’t include the more recent stuff with the Rangers.

Doesn’t sound like the kind of guy Lou would even want to give a chance to.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Because his beliefs are different than yours? Pretty sure Ilya sorokin’s views on putin are a lot different than ours
The issue with DeAngelo, to me, has nothing to do with his political views or his twitter account.

He was suspended twice in the OHL for using slurs directed towards teammates. He was suspended with Arizona for forcefully grabbing a ref with both arms. The reason he was cut from the Rangers was because he started a fight with Georgiev after the Rangers lost a game in OT.

Kids can grow up, but these incidents concern me.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Because his beliefs are different than yours? Pretty sure Ilya sorokin’s views on putin are a lot different than ours

I find it ironic that some folks go to bat for someone who consistently blames other for his mistakes... because of politics. It really makes a mockery of what the politics were supposed to mean. It's also ironic that you mention NYI's Russian backup goalie, because the truth is that the kid got sent away from the team because he physically went after a teammate, a Russian backup goalie, singling him out for blame in an overtime loss. The politics stuff both preceded, and succeeded that incident. But it was that incident that got him kicked off the Rangers. And there is no way, no way at all that anything like that would be tolerated by the Islanders.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He is a trash can of a human being and it’s NOT because of his political views. I knew this would eventually be discussed and people would try to make it political. He is selfish and can’t get out of his own way.

Right? As if it were somehow controversial that physically attacking your goalie because your team lost in overtime made someone a bad teammate. Like wth? If that's not a bad teammate, what is?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
That is ... excellent news. I've *never* been impressed by him as a 2-way defenseman.

The best news may mean their chances of landing Tarasenko are decreasing. In general when the perceived favorite does not quickly land a player the better the chances are they end up somewhere else. Could mean NYI and FLA now are the favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad