Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Keep MDC as a 13th/14th forward, I do not see him as an everyday regular on a competitive team.

I hope management hasn't exiled Bellows b/c of his incident; Lou runs a conservative ship. I'd give him every chance to make the squad and I agree with others that he is more likely to carve out an NHL career than MDC. He checks, he grinds, has a great shot, and an instinct for scoring; think his style translates more. If he earns it, I could see him on a line with JPG and a UFA middle-6 signing.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
TEAMROSTER SIZECONTRACTS
q2.svg
PROJECTED CAP HIT
q2.svg
PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q2.svg
Arizona Coyotes22/2343/50$84,270,284$0
Tampa Bay Lightning19/2339/50$83,404,166$0
Vancouver Canucks23/2340/50$83,001,878$0
St. Louis Blues21/2346/50$82,675,515$0
Toronto Maple Leafs23/2346/50$82,549,325$0
Edmonton Oilers24/2345/50$82,529,158$0
Washington Capitals21/2345/50$82,524,877$0
Vegas Golden Knights21/2345/50$82,474,104$0
Anaheim Ducks22/2347/50$82,429,999$0
Winnipeg Jets22/2341/50$82,197,856$0
Dallas Stars23/2343/50$81,242,031$257,969
Montreal Canadiens21/2346/50$81,116,309$383,691
Carolina Hurricanes22/2341/50$80,567,739$932,261
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Don't know why, but I thought Arizona was spending near the cap fl. Maybe it's because we are have spent the last several yrs reading about their ownership/arena issues.

I don't think Arizona or TB have very strong prospect pools, so I wouldn't want them as a Boychuk trade partner.
Vegas, Washington, Dallas and TB's picks will be very low, so no interest in getting any pick for Boychuk from those teams.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Don't know why, but I thought Arizona was spending near the cap fl. Maybe it's because we are have spent the last several yrs reading about their ownership/arena issues.

I don't think Arizona or TB have very strong prospect pools, so I wouldn't want them as a Boychuk trade partner.
Vegas, Washington, Dallas and TB's picks will be very low, so no interest in getting any pick for Boychuk from those teams.

Then pick a prospect or package Hickey with him for basically nothing so we can sign someone like Ben Hutton for $1.5 million.

Surely there's SOMETHING out there that passes muster!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Then pick a prospect or package Hickey with him for basically nothing so we can sign someone like Ben Hutton for $1.5 million.

Surely there's SOMETHING out there that passes muster!
Nothing passes muster :laugh:.

If we sign Hutton,that likely means we are moving on from Greene. I thought the isles were holding off on signing Martin & Greene, until after they opened cap space and got Barzal signed.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Nothing passes muster :laugh:.

If we sign Hutton,that likely means we are moving on from Greene. I thought the isles were holding off on signing Martin & Greene, until after they opened cap space and got Barzal signed.

I think Hutton makes a lot more sense as the 7th/8th defender so I'd sign both him and Greene.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Hutton makes a lot more sense as the 7th/8th defender so I'd sign both him and Greene.

We don't need Hutton, we already have our own Grant Hutton who is signed for next season (still a RFA afterwards) for depth at RHD. I like him and would rather give him a chance than add more #7D/#8D.

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Mayfield
Greene-Dobson
Aho as the #7D

Grant Hutton as the #8D in Bridgeport
Wotherspoon/MVS as the #9D/#10D
Hickey as the #11D

Bolduc-Wilde with AHL developmental seasons.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Is Chara out of the question? If you could get Chara for like $1.6 or something like that, he'd replace all you got from Boychuk, intangible and not, and then some. Or does everyone expect he'd get a lot more dough?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is Chara out of the question? If you could get Chara for like $1.6 or something like that, he'd replace all you got from Boychuk, intangible and not, and then some. Or does everyone expect he'd get a lot more dough?

Problem is, Chara has been shite in recent years. The game has surpassed him.

I mean, really. Skaters and play development have looked far too fast for him. Some of the goals against with him on the ice last season were absolutely brutal.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't just decided to go back to his hometown and do any playing he still wants to in the place where he as an idol and could still have a big impact. I've never seen him as the type who'd be hanging on to an NHL thread at age 43 just for the dough.

All this said, it would be interesting to bring him back to where it all started and he has had some beautiful +/- stats in recent years, but I think Greene fit so well in the dynamic of this team and he's a Lamoriello guy thru and thru. If they're looking for an older, limited, more experienced player on the blueline, then I think it's him.

And by all accounts, he looked good with Dobson, who is now in line to pick up some more ice time.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I could see Lou theoretically signing another blueliner (aside from Greene), but it most certainly isn't the top priority right now. Not sure how much confidence the brass has in Aho and Hutton, who are basically your 7th and 8th guys and fourth defender depth wise on both sides. I have read little about Hickey's health, but everyone knows he helps us most by a trifecta of moves on him....traded, on LTIR or buried in that order because of cap reasons.

There has been little to no movement on the UFA market in the month of Novemeber, as the Grachenyuk single year signing for 1.05 million (Ottawa) was the last even remotely significant signing and that was way back on October 29th.

It would seem we would want to use at least some of our 3.9 million cap space to go ahead and sign Martin, Schneider (Bridgeport) and the before mentioned Greene to get as close to it as possible before using Boychuk's LTIR destination and cap space. Then of course is getting Barzy inked....

Depending on where Ladd goes (still think he winds up on LTIR) will determine our cap space and even then you figure any money leftover will go towards a wing than it would a defenseman. Still, with so many out there and most if not all having to settle at this point, I could see one brought in for a million or less to challenge Aho/Hutton for the seventh spot.

Not sure Chara would make that leap though....

A return home from Hamonic or perhaps Hainsey (right side) seems more likely to me....

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Slater Koekkoek is a guy who may be a good 7/8 candidate if needed. Can't say I am a big fan but judging him based on last year's Hawk team might not be fair.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I could see Lou theoretically signing another blueliner (aside from Greene), but it most certainly isn't the top priority right now. Not sure how much confidence the brass has in Aho and Hutton, who are basically your 7th and 8th guys and fourth defender depth wise on both sides. I have read little about Hickey's health, but everyone knows he helps us most by a trifecta of moves on him....traded, on LTIR or buried in that order because of cap reasons.

I am guessing Hickey pencils in as our 8th Defenseman unless we can get a sweetheart deal to dump his caphit(his salary isn't to terrible)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am guessing Hickey pencils in as our 8th Defenseman unless we can get a sweetheart deal to dump his caphit(his salary isn't to terrible)

If we see Hickey on the NHL squad, we're f***ed.

Would much rather see Aho before him at LD. Would much rather see Grant Hutton at RD before him. Would much rather give Wotherspoon and MVS some NHL experience before him too.

The $1M in cap saved by being buried in the AHL should be his best contribution to the Isles.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I don’t want chara. He has slowed down too much for today’s game. Pass.

He was + 26 last yr. he’s +70 over the last 3 yrs. I would take him in a heart beat. He would be an animal in a trotz system.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I
A return home from Hamonic or perhaps Hainsey (right side) seems more likely to me....

I would love to have Hamonic back on a cheap,1 yr deal.
I know some Flames posters are down on him, weren't happy with his play last season,but he would be a low risk gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad