Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Not to sound too cold-hearted at this point, but those with salary cap rules knowledge . . . is there a benefit to us trading Boychuck to Tampa for a pick?

I'm assuming that insurance pays the contract for the most part, assuming some sort of deductable, and that the team he is signed with doesn't matter.

Tampa gets the relief and it is net zero to us? Or is there something in the rules that means we would have to retain something like the deductable?

I guess Boychuck wouldn’t mind. He should in theory have a more favorable tax rate. Not sure how that works with him not actually playing games.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I guess Boychuck wouldn’t mind. He should in theory have a more favorable tax rate. Not sure how that works with him not actually playing games.

I'd rather have Boychuk with the Isles even if it's just in name. He's gotten paid the majority of his contract already. I suspect he could become a regular on the broadcasts and I think he would be fantastic in that capacity. In addition to the money coming to him, maybe MSG could throw some extra coin if he does join the broadcast team.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'd rather have Boychuk with the Isles even if it's just in name. He's gotten paid the majority of his contract already. I suspect he could become a regular on the broadcasts and I think he would be fantastic in that capacity. In addition to the money coming to him, maybe MSG could throw some extra coin if he does join the broadcast team.

Actually, I was thinking he would still be part of the organization. I thought there was precedence set by Chris Pronger on LTIR but working elsewhere.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It's an absolute no brainer to have him in the organization, but I think he would be sick on the broadcasts. Shannon alluded to it during the presser and she's right.

Agree. And as I stated above, if his LTIR contract can be traded and he can still remain on the Islanders then I would consider it like any other asset.

But, if the Pronger precedence does NOT apply in this circumstance, then I’d prefer foregoing a low pick to keeping him around.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Agree. And as I stated above, if his LTIR contract can be traded and he can still remain on the Islanders then I would consider it like any other asset.

But, if the Pronger precedence does NOT apply in this circumstance, then I’d prefer foregoing a low pick to keeping him around.

It wouldn't be a low pick if Tampa gets the relief . . . a 2nd at a minimum, maybe more for $6 million. See if there's a prospect in their deep pool we might want to poach.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It wouldn't be a low pick if Tampa gets the relief . . . a 2nd at a minimum, maybe more for $6 million. See if there's a prospect in their deep pool we might want to poach.

Even so, I probably wouldn’t do it if it meant he couldn’t be part of the organization. But I’m expecting (as per Pronger) there is some leeway their.

Technically, the Isles broadcasts are a separate entity. So he could still do that.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Always doom and gloom with some. Remember when we were going to have to pay a king's ransom in order to get out of cap trouble?

This is why I can't stand the absolutists that post here. Like, the future is unknowable regardless of what CapFriendly says.

Except that Bailey is King, that's much is known.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Always doom and gloom with some. Remember when we were going to have to pay a king's ransom in order to get out of cap trouble?

Boychuk's LTIR means the isles avoided giving up future assets to move his $6m per caphit. There was a report weeks ago that the isles were shopping Boychuk.
After seeing the Rangers give up a 2nd to dump Staal's 1 yr/$5.7m contract, I feel the isles caught a break with their dire cap situation.
They give up zero assets to free up $6m in cap space,at a time they have a thin prospect pool and had already traded away recent 1st and 2nd rounders.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I feel it coming...

IMO, it is very unlikely that Hoffman signs a long term deal - this has 1 year deal all over it. 4.5-5 could be the magic number.

I don't know if the Isles are the team that ultimately signs him- my guess is that Nashville looks to be the best landing spot for him.

@SayItAintSoJohnny posted a model/breakdown on page 27 of this thread is a great detailed look at what it would take (additional moves and contract #'s) to land Hoffman.

I see a more practical approach moving forward - signing Maty to a 3-year deal can be a good move so as to not stack upcoming UFA signings, however, I believe most of us would feel great in a longer deal I just don't see Maty's camp agreeing to anything long term (financial landscape needs to improve and bounce back).

• Matt Martin on a 1-year deal for somewhere between a Ryan Reeves or Kyle Clifford deal (1/1.5 is a good bet - could def. be lower.)
  • Andy Greene on a 1-year deal @ 1.5 AAV is also a good bet.
  • A signing like Carl Soderburg @ a similar cap hit (maybe slightly higher - 1.5-2 AAV) can fill that Brassard/Filppula role (this was thrown out by Staple on his podcast - something I agree with over other potentials like Granlund or Duclair or AA). Soderburg and Pageau anchoring the third line to maybe caddy a rookie, someone like Koivula or Wahlstrom. Soderburg can always jump to C if Casey misses extended time. I think they may give the kids an opportunity to win a job.
  • Komarov provides cover for any injuries to potential players, who have a history of missing time, like Czikas and Cal Clutterbuck... both players the team should be concerned about with regards to their health and breakdown of their bodies.
  • Hickey can be buried and provide depth in the AHL, especially if he can overcome his concussion issues. If not, he moves to the IR and potentially to LTIR if they can land a big fish at the deadline.
  • Ladd can start the season buried in the minors or on IR paving the way for the Isles to have cap space that they can weaponize at the trade deadline... eyes on you Evgeni Dadanov, Phil Kessel, Rackell Rickard, Taylor Hall, and outside chances of a Kevin Fiala, Tomas Hertl, OEL, and even Jonathan Huberdeau.
  • Low-risk and cheap veteran D man that provides more depth on the blueline to fill in that 7th d man role is probably a sure bet - don't know who that exactly might be maybe Derek Engelland, Madison Bowey, or Jan Rutta or maybe a trade for Braydon Coburn.
BIG love to Johnny Boychuk!

Reactions: buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My glass is half full.

Yes I'm being bullish about Dobson, but I have liked what I've seen from him so far. He's learning the pro game. Other than some bad clears up the glass he doesn't make the same mistake twice. His confidence when he's skating with Andy Greene shows through. I think that D corps periferal named will be solid and maybe even better than that.

Periferal can choose his superlatives. I'll choose mine.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
My glass is half full.

Yes I'm being bullish about Dobson, but I have liked what I've seen from him so far. He's learning the pro game. Other than some bad clears up the glass he doesn't make the same mistake twice. His confidence when he's skating with Andy Greene shows through. I think that D corps periferal named will be solid and maybe even better than that.

Periferal can choose his superlatives. I'll choose mine.

Dobson looks like the real deal. I am kinda pulling for Aho. Would be a great story if he earned an opportunity and played well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dobson looks like the real deal. I am kinda pulling for Aho. Would be a great story if he earned an opportunity and played well.
Agree on both. To me it's just a matter of how good Dobson will be. Not a question of if? Aho, I made a post ages ago. I thought he was late first rd caliber before the draft. 2017 was a year many over agers were picked. I don't think you can have a plethora of small D men on a team, but if Leddy is moved one day, maybe he can be that small D man. Though Leddy is 200+lbs. Bruins got away with Krug and Grezelcyk for years.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
So, uh, was Incarcerated Bob like, right?

Are we gonna give him credit for this one?

Excuse me, I suggested on October 8th that I thought the Isles would use LTIR to build cap credit on players like Boychuk and Ladd - as opposed to the call from some here that the Isles were absolutely going to have to mortgage the future to just get by.

It always made sense, since it would give the players with a legitimate injury history extra time to recover and build stamina for the stretch run next year, while also helping the team with respect to the cap. It just made sense for everyone involved vs. depleting cost-controlled assets.

One of the big open questions (Besides is Lou going to send/persuade/coerce Ladd to LTIR for this coming season, maybe with the promise to revisit finding him an opportunity elsewhere when Seattle joins the league and trades might be more palatable?) is how is Cizikas doing?

Given his eye injury, I believe it is typically a 90% recovery rate after initial treatment and the timeline to know if it is successful tends to be 10-14 days. So they should have some idea where he stands. Otherwise, more procedures might be required and/or Cizikas might also need to start on LTIR, depending on when the season begins.

If that is the case, then Lou has a call to make.

Does he go with what he has internally at center, with a competition in training camp among players like Uncle Leo, Czarnik (who is interesting to me), Koivula, Bardreau, Jobst or other AHL types, maybe even a PTO closer to camp, etc.?

If he goes cheap at 4C, then maybe the Isles can bring in another quality, offensive forward, which would definitely help.

Otherwise, maybe Lou prefers to augment the team down the middle, and maintain some flexibility to rotate p;ayers around, which will either cost some $$$ or assets via trade.

The good news is that the Isles have options, but they have to make a call on Ladd and determine where Cizikas will be when the season starts.

For the record, I am really hoping Cizikas is OK, since he drives that fourth line and the Isles need him.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I see people talking about how Boychuk is worth something now. Can someone explain why?

A team like TB is currently at or above the cap but still needs to sign some players to get a full roster and have contracts with movement clauses. So they are likely not to find a means to sufficiently get under the cap.

However, if they were to acquire a player on LTIR, then they could essentially bump their cap limit up and gain close to the cap amount of the player (6mil in Boychuck’s case).

The purpose is to allow teams at the cap max to makeup for the loss of their player. It’s legal but a bit of “gaming of the system” when used like this.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
A team like TB is currently at or above the cap but still needs to sign some players to get a full roster and have contracts with movement clauses. So they are likely not to find a means to sufficiently get under the cap.

However, if they were to acquire a player on LTIR, then they could essentially bump their cap limit up and gain close to the cap amount of the player (6mil in Boychuck’s case).

The purpose is to allow teams at the cap max to makeup for the loss of their player. It’s legal but a bit of “gaming of the system” when used like this.

To add to this, I assume Detroit and LA, with the cap space to take on a Johnson, Killorn, Gourde, etc. and Columbus (with the LTIR Dubinsky contract to offer in trade), are circling Tampa like sharks, just waiting for them to break down and pay up.

I would include NJ and Ottawa too, but I have a feeling they are working under a stricter internal cap and financial constraints.

Meanwhile Nashville might be looking to shoot higher with their cap space or it would take some significant assets from Tampa, who can probably get a better deal from Yzerman - even if they owe him a favor down the line.

At this point, I assume Tampa is praying for a "miracle", aka waiting for one of their players to do something stupid so they can move them to LTIR, see if the NHL season is cancelled or, once a revised CBA is put in place, find a loophole.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
While I am relieved that the isles are getting badly needed cap space,I cannot help but feel bad for Boychuk.

I loved the swag he immediately bought to the team after his trade to the isles.

And I have to give props to IB.
Totally! The way it went down with Boychuck was really kind of weird. Up until the eye injury he was not only a mainstay but more like a rock on that defense. Yes, he got injured more as the years went on but it was never like he was a healthy scratch. We all assumed when he came back from the eye injury that that was behind him and even in the playoffs I don't remember it being discussed that his eye was the issue for his absence. In effect, he went from being a mainstay to a guy whose contract we needed to unload at all costs. I feel really bad for him in that regard because he was a great Islander and I wish he had a proper sendoff. Hopefully he sticks around in the organization and on the Island.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
You can teach defense, and thankfully we have Trotz. I would be more than happy to take a flyer on one of Athanasiou, Duclair, Hoffman, or Granlund any of which would likely be an upgrade on Brassard.
I agree and I'd love for it to be Duclair. I feel his best hockey is in front of him and he could really blossom on Barzal's wing or be a really productive second line player. Plus he was a Rag which always adds a little pepper to the equation!

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

That, and a bottom feeder could use his dead cap space to reach the floor without having to pay if they want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad