Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Game 7 wow.

You could make the argument that Dallas and Vegas are the top 2 teams in the West and one wont make it out the 1st round. Crazy.
And the winner of this slugfest faces the Av's in the next round. And based on what we saw of them in the Jets series, if they're a worse team than either Vegas or Dallas, it's not by very much.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
there was no conspiracy against the canucks, or some aligned nationwide hatred like many of you still seem to hold onto. things would've been different if we had played tampa, had jonathan toews instead of kesler, or had a more prominent national sports writer than gary mason, in the mould of cox, spector, or simmons covering the team

The Canucks didn't do a lot to endear themselves in the SCF, but the issues were there loooooong before we got there.

Guys like Simmons and Cox were writing hit pieces. I'm guessing largely out of envy.

The big thing missed by all of us in this convo is the fact that the Canucks were favorites going in.

Edmonton and Calgary were both underdogs and were not expected to go on the run they did. Everyone loves cheering for David, less so Goliath.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
For today, I root for Toronto. f*** Marchand.

But then I hope they get trucked by Florida in Round 2. :laugh:

This game as well as next round both carry their own versions of Boogeyman, now that I think about it.

Toronto - The core 4 still had not had any real playoff success after half a decade or so, they want to break out for sure. But their record for game 7 has been miserable, and it's against Boston, even if Boston had lost the last 2 games and most of the momentum. And next round they're up against Florida, and...well, we all know how that went last year.

Boston - People keeps saying that they are this juggernaut team but, since their cup run, they have been to the finals twice and that's it. On top of that last year they blown a 3-1 series lead against Florida, and now they are in danger of repeating the same humiliating loss against Toronto, the team whom they've consistently looked down upon.

And I just realized Tkachuk has 9 pts already, geez...

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
For today, I root for Toronto. f*** Marchand.

But then I hope they get trucked by Florida in Round 2. :laugh:
If TOR wins today, they may reach SCQF at least because they finally realize what playoff hockey is all about, play the game in the right way, no cheating to create offense and hope your "stars" players catch a break or two (which is what Canucks are playing right now). Also, Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior :laugh:

This game as well as next round both carry their own versions of Boogeyman, now that I think about it.

Toronto - The core 4 still had not had any real playoff success after half a decade or so, they want to break out for sure. But their record for game 7 has been miserable, and it's against Boston, even if Boston had lost the last 2 games and most of the momentum. And next round they're up against Florida, and...well, we all know how that went last year.

Boston - People keeps saying that they are this juggernaut team but, since their cup run, they have been to the finals twice and that's it. On top of that last year they blown a 3-1 series lead against Florida, and now they are in danger of repeating the same humiliating loss against Toronto, the team whom they've consistently looked down upon.

And I just realized Tkachuk has 9 pts already, geez...
It is safe to say that at least one of the coaches will be let go after the first round.

Last edited:

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Boston - People keeps saying that they are this juggernaut team but, since their cup run, they have been to the finals twice and that's it.
3 Cup Finals appearances in 13 years is impressive. I know teams like Chicago, Tampa & Pittsburgh have also done it (while winning more Cups) in that time frame…. But you could be the San Jose Sharks (or us) & only make 1 Finals while dominating a 10 year period of time.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The numbers go up and down. $1.6 mil approx for years 1-3. $3.8 mill for years 4-6. $2.8 mill for year 7, then it's like $1.4 mill for years 8-14. In years 8-14 the cap is going to be $100 mill plus. If the feel they can better utilize the $7 mill in cap room for someone better, for years 1-3 that probably is the deciding factor, unless they think he can rebound. $3.8 mill in dead cap for 3 years isn't ideal, but that's how the formula works when you have SB involved.
The $1.6M per season is only for the first two seasons, not three. It's $2.5M in the third season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The $1.6M per season is only for the first two seasons, not three. It's $2.5M in the third season.

I follow the NFL so, I'm more used to seeing "Dead Cap" charges. It's just an acceptable thing for NFL teams. Even the better ones like PHI and SF had like $30 mill of he $212 mill cap in dead money last season. Just part of the business.

I guess for the NHL, since you can't adjust current deals to lower the cap charge (ie, push into future years), any dead cap is viewed a bit more painfully I guess.

LA is alreayd dealing with another year of Provorov retention and multiple years of Richards buyout.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
I think this is FLAs year honestly, last year was a learning experience for them, I think they beat Vegas this time around (or any team coming out of the West)

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
3 Cup Finals appearances in 13 years is impressive. I know teams like Chicago, Tampa & Pittsburgh have also done it (while winning more Cups) in that time frame…. But you could be the San Jose Sharks (or us) & only make 1 Finals while dominating a 10 year period of time.

That's fair. The MSM seems to be propping up Bruins like they are some unstoppable cosmic force, especially last year with their regular season record, which turned out to be a total joke after they blew their series against the Panthers.

I hope the Leafs win it today, their last 2 games alone made them worthy, if they can keep it up.

Reactions: Flik

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Whew. Amazing Stone's spleen held up there. Going to 7

Next year:

7b8f1c96-d0d0-4e36-8a08-91cf954c7375_text.gif

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This is not quite accurate and a good example of the challenge in rebuilding. It's not that they had the assets to "acquire whoever they wanted", but rather they had the assets to acquire whoever became available. What would have really put them over the top? Trading for a guy like say Alex Barkov. But who was available at the time they pulled the trigger? PL Dubois.

You see this a lot, it's typically 2-3 big name players that become available every summer and the real challenge if you have the assets is waiting to jump on the right guy. Brian Burke for example, when he went to Anaheim and made a big splash right away Chris Pronger was available. He tried to do the same thing in Toronto, but that summer the big name available was Phil Kessel.

Your premise is correct, but that doesn't mean you need to force the issue and go big game hunting when it wasn't there... For LA Specifically how much better would they have looked with Mittelstadt instead of PLD? Just because a guy is available doesn't mean you have to try and get him.

mike gillis and the canucks under him had no ins to the old boys club that was even more dominant in canadian media than it is now. the few links we had (linden, steve tambellini, brian burke) were heavily alienated against the franchise at that time. and they were up against an O6 squad with alumni in prominent HNIC positions - don cherry and pj stock being the loudest of the group. finally, the canucks most prominent players were a pair of swedes, a pissy american, no household name defensemen, and a polarizing goalie that hadn't yet endeared himself broadly.

there was no conspiracy against the canucks, or some aligned nationwide hatred like many of you still seem to hold onto. things would've been different if we had played tampa, had jonathan toews instead of kesler, or had a more prominent national sports writer than gary mason, in the mould of cox, spector, or simmons covering the team

Yes because Toews is so much more likeable then Kesler... Kes may have his warts, by I think he is probably a better person. And that includes the dick things he use to do...

The problem is still the media creating what it does from a POV that is bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad