Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 - "Ross the Boss" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Listen 13, I know a good amount of informed NYI fans who have followed this team for 40 years. And I see a lot of the same opinions I hold on this very board.

We’ll see how things turn out. But the banking on ‘well they did it a year ago’ argument doesn’t hold much water for me or many others. No use in arguing it. At the end of the year I’ll either say, I told you so, or eat crow. Trust me, I’d prefer the latter.

We'd all prefer the latter. And I don't disagree that people have that opinion, nor do I disagree with that opinion entirely. I've posted it myself that I'm still wary of this team's offense. No one is going around saying we are the best show on earth. Some of us are just tired of the same people complaining all the time (not directing that at you, I'm just replying to your post because we are having this conversation). Last year before the season started, we had to create a tongue-in-cheek thread that everyone knew more than Trotz and Lou before we even played a game because the same boo birds that are always out shit all over our offseason. Then lo and behold, we did really well, and the same boo birds are out for this season. As you said, we should just see how it plays out -- but certain people want to make sure they complain to everyone the entire time it unfolds.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The man who should not be mentioned by name is saying today Jamie Benn is available.

6 years, including this one, left at $9.5 million. In a down year last year he had 27G/26A and is off to a slow start. A cursory look at his stats shows his shooting percentage is pretty steady but his shots attempted fell off last year by about 40 from his average. A normal shot number meant another 5 goals.

This year he is only 1G/1A in 8 games and a shooting percentage about a third of his average.

He's still only 30 but is that a heavy mileage 30? He's rarely missed time (77+ games a year) with the exception of one year awhile back.

Is this Barzal's best winger option? We'd have to find some cap savings but if Dallas would eat $2 million a year could it work?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Serious Question for posters here-
Do folks feel the Isles are a top 3 F away from contending?

For example, let's say Panarin did sign would you feel the team was ready?

OR say

If Isles were to acquire Taylor Hall towards the deadline, would you feel the team was ready?

My guess would be the DEvils would get a similar package to what Columbus got for Blue Jackets -

#1 pick, Abramov, and Davidsson

Isles for Hall -
#1 pick, Bellows, and Salo?

or do you do Leddy and #1?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The man who should not be mentioned by name is saying today Jamie Benn is available.

6 years, including this one, left at $9.5 million. In a down year last year he had 27G/26A and is off to a slow start. A cursory look at his stats shows his shooting percentage is pretty steady but his shots attempted fell off last year by about 40 from his average. A normal shot number meant another 5 goals.

This year he is only 1G/1A in 8 games and a shooting percentage about a third of his average.

He's still only 30 but is that a heavy mileage 30? He's rarely missed time (77+ games a year) with the exception of one year awhile back.

Is this Barzal's best winger option? We'd have to find some cap savings but if Dallas would eat $2 million a year could it work?

I'd steer clear. Too much term and dollars for a guy who played a heavy game. I see a Ladd like drop off, though Benn was a better player at his peak then Ladd ever was, i'm quite sure he will never be in the Art Ross discussion again.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

OR say

If Isles were to acquire Taylor Hall towards the deadline, would you feel the team was ready?

My guess would be the DEvils would get a similar package to what Columbus got for Blue Jackets -

Isles for Hall -

Isles are more then a top 3 F away from contending. I think they need a top line winger and a player for the 2nd line. There are many ways to skin a cat, I think the second line could stay intact if we had an elite 3c but IMO they are two guys away from actually being dangerous, that and special teams needs to be top-15 in the league in both categories. Once I see a PP that doesn't go MIA i'll be convinced this team means business, you need to capitalize on the man advantage and do it consistently to win the Stanley Cup - Last year Boston finished 3rd OA and StL 9OA on the PP

Reactions: ichabod13

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Isles are more then a top 3 F away from contending. I think they need a top line winger and a player for the 2nd line. There are many ways to skin a cat, I think the second line could stay intact if we had an elite 3c but IMO they are two guys away from actually being dangerous, that and special teams needs to be top-15 in the league in both categories. Once I see a PP that doesn't go MIA i'll be convinced this team means business, you need to capitalize on the man advantage and do it consistently to win the Stanley Cup - Last year Boston finished 3rd OA and StL 9OA on the PP

Yes, but that top 3 Winger could be the person who helps the PP from going MIA.

Imagine Hall with Maty and Eberle and then a solid vet line Lee - Woody and Bailey.

Brassard with Beau and Wahl along with the Identity line +Rosco lines this team up pretty nicely, no?

Reactions: dood

crasherino

May 9, 2013

OR say

Isles for Hall -

I think adding Panarin would have pushed this team into a different level of playoff contender. He fit so well in the area where they are so lacking. So while its only one player, adding Panarin would either create that "super line" with Barzal and Panarin together or more likely two top lines with a dynamic player on each one. Coupled with the solid bottom 6 play that we get, I think Panarin would have made this team a perennial 103+ point team for the forseeable future, not one that has to prove it wasn't a fluke. Him plus arrival of guys like Wahlstrom and the ability - if necessary - to turn other assets into players, would have elevated the team considerably.

Lee - Barzy - Ebs
Bailey - Nelson - Panarin

That's a dangerous top 6. Having a 3rd line of Tito - Brassard - Wahlstrom would be pretty great for a bottom 6 line going forward.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Yes, but that top 3 Winger could be the person who helps the PP from going MIA.

Imagine Hall with Maty and Eberle and then a solid vet line Lee - Woody and Bailey.

Brassard with Beau and Wahl along with the Identity line +Rosco lines this team up pretty nicely, no?

This is kind of why a Benn helps more than just the numbers he brings. This pushes down the LW's into different slotting. Not saying he's the full answer but I truly think the 2nd line answer is Wahlstrom until he forces his way to the 1st line. Benn at $7.5 million is much better than $9.5.

His numbers last year in a down year were still close to Barzal's in points.

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think adding Panarin would have pushed this team into a different level of playoff contender. He fit so well in the area where they are so lacking. So while its only one player, adding Panarin would either create that "super line" with Barzal and Panarin together or more likely two top lines with a dynamic player on each one. Coupled with the solid bottom 6 play that we get, I think Panarin would have made this team a perennial 103+ point team for the forseeable future, not one that has to prove it wasn't a fluke. Him plus arrival of guys like Wahlstrom and the ability - if necessary - to turn other assets into players, would have elevated the team considerably.

Lee - Barzy - Ebs
Bailey - Nelson - Panarin

That's a dangerous top 6. Having a 3rd line of Tito - Brassard - Wahlstrom would be pretty great for a bottom 6 line going forward.

I mean Hall won the Hart in 2017 - if he is healthy adding a lefty shot (like his) as well as his speed and skill along with Maty and his old linemate Jordan - Geez.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
When there are things to be positive about...

Its like walking in on my wife cheating, and you expect me to just be like, well as least she found a good looking new man.
In fairness, that is better than walking in on her cheating on you with a really ugly man

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I disagree 100%. Lou tried everything to get Panarin. Hall of Fame GM or not, when a player is dead set on playing for a certain team, all you can do is try your best to change their mind. It came out afterwards that Panarin's girlfriend AND agent wanted him to take the deal from the Islanders. I would say Lou did all he could do with Panarin. I wouldn't say he got played. He tried to fill a major need.
Again, Lou didn't see the forest for the trees. He allowed him self to be led on, by a guy who very openly in the past made it known he wanted to play for the Rangers.

I love that we were even in the mix, but similar to Snow holding out hope for Stamkos, and having zero contingency plan, led to fumbling around and overreacting (giving Ladd an awful contract).

However you feel most comfortable painting the Panarin situation, doesnt change the fact Lou then didnt do ANYTHING after missing out on Panarin. Literally only brought in Brassard to help, which is not saying a whole lot.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
YOUR expectations were very low.

Both LL and BT stated openly, that they are going to use the year as an evaluation period, to see what they have. Good idea. And how to do this, is to not go making changes right away. I respect them for this, because they were giving the players the chance to start all over, with a fresh slate. No judgement based on prior performance. And, I think it's pretty obvious how good a strategy this was, judging by how the team responded.

You wanted to re-build last year, because of the loss of JT. Trotz and Co., decided to put some faith and encouragement behind the team, and see what they have. It's obvious who was 'right'.

Suck it up. You were wrong. No amount of *****ing about them, is going to change that.
This team needs to rebuild/retool or they will wallow in mediocrity.
Last year they overachieved

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Benn is a tough one. You know he'll be pretty terrible in the last couple years of that deal. It depends what the team is giving up to get him I suppose. We'd have to shed salary in someone like Boychuk, Clutterbuck, or Komarov for it to be worthwhile. Adding salary without moving those contracts out would be a bad decision. Speed isn't one of Benn's strengths either, right? So we'd have really slow left wingers, which isn't necessarily a problem if they're good, but if he doesn't regain his form there would be trouble. Benn is buyout proof as well, most of his late contract money is bonuses.

If Dallas retained anything, yes, I'd take Benn. If not...ugh, I don't know.

OR say

Isles for Hall -

It depends on the player. I think another star player who can carry play puts this team into contention, yes. Maybe not a premier team, but certainly moves the needle from bubble team to a playoff lock (health dependent). Tavares playing with Barzal gave the team a 1-2 punch, so I'd want a player who can play away from Barzal so the match ups become a problem. I still don't believe in stacking your top line. For the team as it's currently constructed, I do think Lee, Nelson, and Bailey could still work very well together, but I'm not sure that line gets us over the hump in the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You've always got to be leery of taking on that kind of contract (particularly the term) for a 30 year old power forward who's starting to look like he's declining rapidly due to both play style and recent surgery. You may get another couple of seasons of top six performance (although probably still not worth his salary) out of him, but then you're stuck with an albatross for the remaining years.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Benn is a tough one. You know he'll be pretty terrible in the last couple years of that deal. It depends what the team is giving up to get him I suppose. We'd have to shed salary in someone like Boychuk, Clutterbuck, or Komarov for it to be worthwhile. Adding salary without moving those contracts out would be a bad decision. Speed isn't one of Benn's strengths either, right? So we'd have really slow left wingers, which isn't necessarily a problem if they're good, but if he doesn't regain his form there would be trouble. Benn is buyout proof as well, most of his late contract money is bonuses.

If Dallas retained anything, yes, I'd take Benn. If not...ugh, I don't know.

It depends on the player. I think another star player who can carry play puts this team into contention, yes. Maybe not a premier team, but certainly moves the needle from bubble team to a playoff lock (health dependent). Tavares playing with Barzal gave the team a 1-2 punch, so I'd want a player who can play away from Barzal so the match ups become a problem. I still don't believe in stacking your top line. For the team as it's currently constructed, I do think Lee, Nelson, and Bailey could still work very well together, but I'm not sure that line gets us over the hump in the playoffs.

I, for one, have been all about stacking lines and it seems to be a trend that is happening in the league.

McDavid and Draisaitl, Point Stamkos Kucherov for example -

I think someone like Hall compliments Barzal perfectly.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Saw the Minny stuff with Guerin saying he's open to any offers and immediately thought of Parise.

But holy smokes he's signed until the end of 2025 when he'll be 40 for a cap hit of $7.5mm AAV! SHEESH
Parise has one of those equipment allergy deals. He earns compined 4mil for his last 3 seasons. So its fair to think its only this and the next two seasons at 7,5M AAV.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Parise has one of those equipment allergy deals. He earns compined 4mil for his last 3 seasons. So its fair to think its only this and the next two seasons at 7,5M AAV.

This could be a situation like Luongo - if he retires and then the team would be hit with that insane cap hit.

No thanks

SI

Feb 16, 2013
TSN insider - hurricanes poking around Ho-Sang - how about one of their guys on the Checkers - Geekie or Luostarinen or maybe even Jack Drury.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
I disagree 100%. Lou tried everything to get Panarin. Hall of Fame GM or not, when a player is dead set on playing for a certain team, all you can do is try your best to change their mind. It came out afterwards that Panarin's girlfriend AND agent wanted him to take the deal from the Islanders. I would say Lou did all he could do with Panarin. I wouldn't say he got played. He tried to fill a major need.
When and where was this written?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I, for one, have been all about stacking lines and it seems to be a trend that is happening in the league.

McDavid and Draisaitl, Point Stamkos Kucherov for example -

I think someone like Hall compliments Barzal perfectly.

The Oilers are a pretty good example of why it doesn't work. Both McDavid and Draisaitl have had great years and the team has stunk pretty consistently. I don't consider it stacking when you have players on the second line who are capable. I look at teams where they don't have talent and then are taking their best players and throwing them together. The Flyers in previous years tried to stack players with Giroux and it never worked, now they actually have talent to spread around.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I wouldn’t even consider Hall and Barzal together as stacking the first line. Hall’s skating ability would allow him to keep up with Barzal in a way that Lee can’t.

Hall-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Wahlstrom
Beau-Brassard-Bailey
4th line

2nd & 3rd line wingers are all interchangeable, and the only weak spot is Brassard (assuming he continues to play like shit).

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
This could be a situation like Luongo - if he retires and then the team would be hit with that insane cap hit.

No thanks
I think Parise has the same situation as Weber (If he retires early Nashville will get huge penalty for handing that contract back in the day). Same goes for Parise and Wild.

But anyway, Im fine with no Parise on this team and no more too big, too long contracts for stars of the past. (unless its deal for Ladd, one for one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad