Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VII: The Lou Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You're in the right ballpark on all, but still have Barzal getting at least 9M on a long term deal. I think Pulock might be in the 5.5M range depending on how long the deal is.

Also keep in mind that Martin, Brassard, and Kuhnhackl are all UFAs ,so a few bottom-6 forwards will need to be added probably totaling around another 5M.

Add it up and the Isles will need about 20-25M in cap space this offseason just to complete their roster. This is why trade(s) are guaranteed and Leddy and/or Bailey are the leading candidates to be traded.

They would not need to add anymore players, that's a 23 man roster.

Lee Barzal Eberle
Dal Colle Nelson Bailey
Beauvillier Pageau Komarov
Johnston Cizikas Clutterbuck
Extra Forward (Koivula, whomever)

Pelech Pulock
Toews Mayfield
Leddy Boychuck
Greene Dobson (not sure if he needs to be up or not)

Varlamov
Sorokin

No more additions, if the cap is $84M like has been rumored that's $4.65M over. I think Lamoriello can shed that if needed.

I was thinking,

Barzal 8
Pulock 5
Toews 3
Sorokin 925,000
Hickey as the #7

That's about 4 mil over.

There is no chance Greene signs...

Not sure who you have up or down, but take a look above with my numbers + your addition of Sorokin. It's not bad at all and that's with Greene. I think there's a good chance Greene re-signs if Lamoriello can find a buyer for Hickey or he moves someone else. If Dobson can go to the minors then that's another $1M available.

I'm thinking that deal with Minnesota has a good chance of coming to fruition this summer. It'll be interesting if Lamoriello can find a taker for Ladd. I guess the remainder of his season will be a showcase for him. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt.

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
I've noticed something that many on here keep saying regarding barzals production, and how it will effect his upcoming contract negotiations. True, Barzal's production has not been in the 90-100 point range like many originally thought it could be the last 2 years (counting this one). However, the primary reason for this has not been due to underperformance on his part. Rather, it has been due to the defensive first system we play. Coach Trotz has been very candid about the fact that playing this system requires the players to make sacrifices, one of which being their individual point production. If Barzal was spending less time marking his man in his own zone, constantly flying out of our own zone early, or rarely back-checking hard and instead cherry picking up the ice, then yeah, he'd probably be a 90-100 point player. But, (and I admit I've been critical of him at times because I still feel he isn't disciplined enough in his own zone and needs to further improve), he has made a concerted effort to play the way Coach Trotz wants him too, and thus, has probably left many individual points on the table. Therefore, that needs to be kept in mind when trying to use his "lack of production" against him into getting him to take less AAV on his next contract. Why? If you keep asking him to make sacrifices in the way he plays for the good of the team, knowing that it will result in him accumulating less points, but then try use his lack of production against him in contract negotiations, that's how you're going to develop a rift with him. In other words, you'll cause Barzal to say to himself "I should play the way they want me to play, only to score less points, only to then have them want to pay me less because I didn't score enough for them? Nah, I ain't doing that, I'm going to make sure I do what I have to do on the ice to score points, system be darned, so that they then have to pay me come contract time". And then, on top of how it will effect him, don't think for a second that the rest of the players wouldn't notice that as well. "Hey, management is using matty's lack of production against him, when its really managements fault for making us play the way we do, they'll probably do that to me to next time around as well, so I need to do what I need to do alsoo to make sure I don't hurt my next negotiation". For a team that requires such a high level of "buy-in" from the players like the Islanders, that is a very risky negotiation strategy to take. So, rather than pay the players based on production, I feel they need to make it known that they will be making decisions based on "impact". So, pertaining to Barzal, it should go something like "Look Matt, we know you would be a 90-100 point guy in a more free flowing style of hockey, but you're buying in to the way we want you to play, and you have a huge positive impact toward our success. So, we're still going to pay you like a player we feel is a very good player, because that's what you are, a very good player". And with that, you would continue to get Barzal to buy-in to the way you want him to play, along with the rest of the players on the team. Now, I am not saying break the bank, or spend recklessly. But, what I am saying, is say he was that 90 point guy, and we would strive to sign him for 8 mil AAV, then let's still give him that money, and not try to lowball him over his numbers, especially considering that traditional statistics aren't what win hockey games for our organization. And deal with the other players accordingly as well. Pulock, has become a very solid defenseman. Most guys in his situation would probably get 5 mil AAV, so strive to pay him that, don't low ball him either and try to get away with 3 mil AAV by using his stats. I am not implying that we shouldn't try to get these guys to take discounts, but be honest with them. As opposed to telling Barzal he is worth 6-7 million based on his stats, tell him "look Matt, we think you are worth 8 mil AAV, but if you could take 6-7 mil, it would help us put those savings back into the rest of the team, and make us better overall". Maybe you would get some guys to bite on that. I just feel overall that we can't try to use traditional "production" as our basis for negotiating contracts with our to be free agents moving forward. It would be contrary to the defense first, sacrificial culture that we are asking the players to buy into. I just felt the need to touch on this a little, given how many on here have alluded to this issue as of late.

I think you're partially right, I also think if we had someone to hit an open net once in a while to put on his line he'd also have more points. He's the single offensive threat we have and everyone knows it. I wouldn't expect him to get low balled as anyone that' watched him as consistently as we have would know his worth.

Also rather than posting a wall of text organise your thoughts, put them into paragraphs. Much easier to follow much less read at all.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Lou's really not building for the future in a traditional sense. As I said before he's pretty much playing it by ear. I now believe he was set on Panarin. This is not being critical just that people talk about the big picture and the reason why Lou has been idle for so long.

But the present is not the future because this team isn't good enough to compete. I do understand the move and I'm not too upset about a late 1st rd pick if that's the case even in a deep draft however it doesn't solve our biggest issues going forward.

We still have the expansion draft to deal with which could cost us badly and really no elite young players on the rise.

Also we can't afford any top free agents other than our own because of cap issues. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer just beings realistic.

What are Lous expectations for our team because if it's to win a Cup in the next few years I think he's delusional because a ton of things have to go right for that to happen with this team. So far we have had no such luck.

So only just now you are coming to the realization that Lou wanted Panarin?

So if Lou would have gotten Panarin, would Lou still be delusional?

Hate to break it to you but a ton of things have to go right for any team to win the cup.
Even the Isles of the 80’s had some miraculous good fortune during their run.
Tampa last year not so much but the Blues.....

Lou has been putting his best foot forward after the Panarin miss (which was not Lou’s fault if you are still catching up on that to)

He has built a competitive team that can play with anyone. Now all cylinders have to click at once which is no guarantee.

Last edited:
Reactions: doublechili and MJF

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Lou's really not building for the future in a traditional sense. As I said before he's pretty much playing it by ear. I now believe he was set on Panarin. This is not being critical just that people talk about the big picture and the reason why Lou has been idle for so long.

But the present is not the future because this team isn't good enough to compete. I do understand the move and I'm not too upset about a late 1st rd pick if that's the case even in a deep draft however it doesn't solve our biggest issues going forward.

We still have the expansion draft to deal with which could cost us badly and really no elite young players on the rise.

Also we can't afford any top free agents other than our own because of cap issues. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer just beings realistic.

What are Lous expectations for our team because if it's to win a Cup in the next few years I think he's delusional because a ton of things have to go right for that to happen with this team. So far we have had no such luck.
Funny thing about that. Teams routinely sign big free agents when they seemingly can't afford to. Yet they make it work.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Making fun of The Snake in Toronto. Lehner replaced the Panda in the picture that lying POS posted right after he signed in Toronto. It is an ELITE level troll shot by Lehner.
Great pick. Not sure what the history is behind this. But this is a legendary tweet. Isles fans should be liking his tweet! First Zamboni guy, then the Dumbass presser, now this, the laffs just keep on coming.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'm going to have to admit that I don't get it. Can somebody help me out here?

Lehner has adopted a Panda persona/meme sometime this year.

Has to do with Kung Fu Panda and his kids and it kind of took off.

EDIT: Lol @ Hfboards for auto censoring the above. I wrote it correctly as the martial art that Bruce Lee practiced and it changed it to that.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Making fun of The Snake in Toronto. Lehner replaced the Panda in the picture that lying POS posted right after he signed in Toronto. It is an ELITE level troll shot by Lehner.
Yeah, I mean obviously I know about the picture of PB but I don't get the panda part and what that has to do with RL going to Vegas? (Which I'm kinda of bummed about because I really hate Vegas).

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ah, okay. I got it now. That is quite excellent. Love that guy. Thx.

But to be clear, I didn’t write it in it’s vulgar form. I wrote it exactly as the Chinese martial art is spelled. Yet some how this site changed it to that.

On second thought, It kind of works for the tweet though.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Who's up for road trip to Vegas. You know, to show our appreciation for Lehner. Yes. That's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad