Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VI: The Overpriced Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Lou stopped the bleeding on the blueline.

He also just brought in a guy who fits into Trotz system and now leads the team in goals scored.

I don’t think he would do this deal if he didn’t think he could resign JGP.

We don’t need another forward prospect, we needed an impact now player and we got one. Now, get a real coach for Bridgeport to oversee Wahlstrom, Bellows & Holmstrom.

If Lou did nothing he’d be “asleep at the wheel”. When was the last time the Isles acquired any coveted guy at the deadline?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The 1st is going to be the next MDC, Kudroc, or JHS, *most likely. Lou was aggressive, it's about time. Ppl value 1st rounders so highly it makes me vomit, I've been on this site longer than most; same swan song. If it was a top-5 pick, different context.

JGP will impact the game more than points, to accentuate that, he can score.
I said it before and I’ll say it again: I’m thoroughly convinced that some people on this site find draft day more exciting than the playoffs.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You don't know this. Is the probability of the Isles winning the cup high? Nope. It is very slim.

But you cannot flat out say that they will not win the cup. Stop saying this with so much certainty.

Well that's what I believe. I also believed the Isles would never sniff the Cup when wang/snow were in charge. Some things in life have mystery. This is obvious to me, but because it hasn't happened yet why I added the caveat of betting anyone $100 that they don't (and again that would be money I'd love to pay).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Simmonds to Buffalo. Weird for the savers to get a rental.

I love Simmonds. Would love him to replace Clutterbuck.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
We can ice a "French Connection" line now in Beauvillier – Pageau – Brassard.
To watch the French connection back in the day was a thing of beauty, I would stay up to watch ( This Week in The NHL) just to see the highlights of the Buffalo game Gilbert Perreault was a marvel!

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Derek Grant and Nate Thompson for a 4th and a 2021 5th round pick and maybe Cole Bardreau or

JGP for a 2020 1st, 2nd and possible 2021 3rd?

Man, we are looking dumb and dumber in this deal, especially if he doesn't re-up

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
On top of that JGP fills a hole that we had before Cizikas even went down. 3rd line has been a disaster all year.
Right. It lets is put Brassard back on the wing for the last 15 games and not overwork the Top 6.

Don’t undersell what rolling 4 solid lines is for Trotz.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Just from being at Northwell constantly.....

Cizikas is skating despite Staple's report. I've literally seen him and on Saturday he was going on the "red" rink when my son's team let out. He gave fist bumps and spoke with most of the kids. Hope someone else can back me up.

Clutterbuck is probably back tomorrow night. He has been skating at Northwell a ton too and had 2 games in B-Port.

I really hope Hoffman is here by 3pm.

Otherwise, massive overpay by LL

It's not a massive overpay by any stretch.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I mean somebody has to go if we extend JGP...I am guessing out of Barzal/Toews/Pelech one is not gonna be staying long term and its easy to know who that one is gonna be. I guess wilde will be replacing Toews.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Right. It lets is put Brassard back on the wing for the last 15 games and not overwork the Top 6.

Don’t undersell what rolling 4 solid lines is for Trotz.

Seems like people don't remember how this team looked last year before Flip's game went down the tubes. It's a bitch to play against.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
People justifying the trade by saying Lou might resign Pageau. How is giving a 3rd line 10-15 goal scorer at least 5M a year long term when the Isles have only 16M in 2020 cap space and have to resign Barzal, Pulock, and Teows is a good move?

I would love to trade Bailey for something, but because we didn't address the top-6 we need to keep him.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
How do you know this??? Are you Chuck Fletcher? GTFO with these ultimatums.

You talk about reality but completely make stuff up.

Based on the cost (and yes, we will be slammed hard on this one- even worse than the 2nd on Greene, of course if he re-signs then it won't be as bad) other rentals are going for........

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I
If true given the Isles 2020 cap, Leddy or Bailey will be traded this offseason. There's almost no way around it.

That or we're going to have to trade Ladd + 2021 1st rounder/Whlstrom to get rid of his deal.

I agree. I think Leddy is gone and also Ladd.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
So again no guarantee that JP stays on L.I. I'm in the camp of seems like an overpayment for an impending F.A.. Also as pointed out above those picks aren't available to land bigger fish.
Would like to point out that part of what was presented upon Lou's arrival was building up the farm. Granted no one expected the success of these past couple of seasons, especially in the wake of Judas's departure. So I feel the departure is a bit premature given I wasn't expecting a deep run from this team even with the latest acquisitions and . We are in need of high end talent and yes we need a 3rd line center but again FA tend to walk.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
The moment we signed Nelson, Eberle and Lee to long term extensions was the moment we were going to ride this core and not rebuild. Lets see how it goes the next 3-4 seasons. Pageau fits the current core perfectly.

Reactions: MJF

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Lee (7)- Barzal (9)- Wahlstrom (1)
Beau (2)- Nelson (6)- Eberle (5.5)
Bellows (1)- JGP (5)- Bailey (5)
Johnston (1)- Cizikas (3.5)- Clutterbuck (3.5)

MDC (1)- Koivula (1)

Pelech (1.5)- Pullock (6)
Toews (3)- Mayfield (1.5)
Greene (2.5)- Dobson (1)

Boychuk (6)- Hickey (2.5)

Varly (5)- Sorokin (1)

Kamarov buyout (1)/ Ladd retention (2)

Total: $84.5

So you better hope we can move Leddy and Ladd- because this pretty much took us out of the free-agent market with the exception of maybe re-signing Greene....

Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad