Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VI: The Overpriced Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No matter what happened today you would not have liked it. Always so miserable.

You have an angle, but it's not based in truth.

Why don't you go look at the posts I made the day Lou fired snow or hired Trotz. Then come back and make a reply.

The reality is that there hasn't been much to celebrate in Islanderland over the past 20 years. When a team hires it's backup goalie to be GM that's not me being negative - That's the team being negative and me pointing it out.

I'm thrilled to have Malkin/Lou/Trotz over wang/snow/capuano, but Lou is far from a god, and that god did not serve the ultimate and long-term goals of the team today. We need elite talent and he overpaid over ok talent.

Is the team better today? 100%.
Will it win the Cup? Nope.

And that's the bottom line for me. Disagree? I'll bet you or anyone $100 each that the Isles won't win the Cup this year with the caveat that I would be overjoyed to write you that check.

Reactions: leeroggy

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Reverse it. Look at actual Cup winners and see what they have had and across the board those teams had much better scoring and more elite talent overall.

While winning the Cup isn't an exact science there are some significant trends to view from the past 20+ Cup winners, and even after this Pageau trade the Isles are still lacking in those areas.

All you do is move goalposts and act like the smartest guy in the room, you were never going to be satisfied no matter what they do.
"While winning the Cup isn't an exact science", you are right on this point though, it's not so that is why you make the moves to give yourself the best chance to make damage in the playoffs.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Tell me what this is pal

Easy. You already have your core in order and are a Cup contender in October, and are just tweaking your lineup without selling the farm.

What the Pens did with Marleau. What the Caps did with Kovelchuk.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Easy. You already have your core in order and are a Cup contender in October, and are just tweaking your lineup without selling the farm.

That could be us next year. It looks like Pageau is signing with us on early reports.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Another element on the JGP trade is that Lebrun pointed out that Philly missed on him and wound up with Nate Thompson instead.

Not only did the Isles acquire a guy that helps their team, they stopped a team they are competing for a playoff spot with from getting him.

And again, if the scenario was flipped and JGP went to Philly for a similar package and the Isles settled for Thompson...everyone would be calling for Lou's head on a platter.

Perspective...

Reactions: xECK29x and JKP

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Cizikas is out another 10-14 days. Quit acting as if he is out for the season.
And going 500 in the next 10-14 days would damage our playoff chances. Pageau and Greene give us a real chance to solidify 3rd place in the Metro, maybe 2nd.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

If we gave up a conditional 3rd for a slow and degrading Marleau this place would riot. Kovalchuk will do some damage pending on usage but he doesn't move the needle for them. Again, why trade those same picks for aging rentals vs a piece that is likely to be a core player in JGP?

Reactions: TMI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He has scored 24 goals this year ,how many Isles players has scored more ?

JP Pageau's goals by year:

14-15: 10
15-16: 19
16-17: 12
17-18: 14
18-19: 4 (only played 39 games)
19-20: 24

Amazing how athletes everywhere have career years in the pending UFA year. This is a 10-15 goal guy when the dust settles and people want to give him a contract like what Bailey has.

You want to "go for it" then you hold out as long as possible and pay whatever it takes to find true difference makers. Today Lou paid whatever it takes for an OK player, but not a true impact player.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Another element on the JGP trade is that Lebrun pointed out that Philly missed on him and wound up with Nate Thompson instead.

Not only did the Isles acquire a guy that helps their team, they stopped a team they are competing for a playoff spot with from getting him.

And again, if the scenario was flipped and JGP went to Philly for a similar package and the Isles settled for Thompson...everyone would be calling for Lou's head on a platter.

Perspective...

No way does Philly or anyone pay that package...that is what made it a horrible deal. Especially with the reality that it all but eliminates any chance of getting a top 6 forward (sniper for Barzal) should we re-sign him and an even worse trade if we don't.........

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Also in regards to the earlier report, I wouldn’t be against working out a Ladd/Okposo swap. Okposo can still be a useful player and would be easier to LTIR with his injury history.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
You have an angle, but it's not based in truth.

Why don't you go look at the posts I made the day Lou fired snow or hired Trotz. Then come back and make a reply.

The reality is that there hasn't been much to celebrate in Islanderland over the past 20 years. When a team hires it's backup goalie to be GM that's not me being negative - That's the team being negative and me pointing it out.

I'm thrilled to have Malkin/Lou/Trotz over wang/snow/capuano, but Lou is far from a god, and that god did not serve the ultimate and long-term goals of the team today. We need elite talent and he overpaid over ok talent.

Is the team better today? 100%.
Will it win the Cup? Nope.

And that's the bottom line for me. Disagree? I'll bet you or anyone $100 each that the Isles won't win the Cup this year with the caveat that I would be overjoyed to write you that check.

You don't know this. Is the probability of the Isles winning the cup high? Nope. It is very slim.

But you cannot flat out say that they will not win the cup. Stop saying this with so much certainty.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We had a terrible road trip and 4 game losing streak. We cannot survive another one of those and still make the playoffs. We’re in a WC spot right now.
When the Flyers leapfrogged us the red flags went up. Going 500 while waiting for 53 to come back is too much of a risk.

Reactions: Lame Lambert

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
but for us...a solid third line center is key for our success.

Amazing how teams winning Cups don't seem to have this problem. For some reason the Isles try to put on their pants over their head.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Also in regards to the earlier report, I wouldn’t be against working out a Ladd/Okposo swap. Okposo can still be a useful player and would be easier to LTIR with his injury history.

I'm glad to see Okposo playing and playing decent, but that ship has sailed. On a personal level, I hope he can walk away from the game with no serious repercussions when he does.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
No way does Philly or anyone pay that package...that is what made it a horrible deal. Especially with the reality that it all but eliminates any chance of getting a top 6 forward (sniper for Barzal) should we re-sign him and an even worse trade if we don't.........

How do you know this??? Are you Chuck Fletcher? GTFO with these ultimatums.

You talk about reality but completely make stuff up.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If we gave up a conditional 3rd for a slow and degrading Marleau this place would riot. Kovalchuk will do some damage pending on usage but he doesn't move the needle for them. Again, why trade those same picks for aging rentals vs a piece that is likely to be a core player in JGP?

I don't "move the goalposts." It's just that you don't listen to/understand what I'm saying.

The Isles roster is significantly flawed and they shouldn't be trading for guys like Marleau. When you have a roster like the Penguins or Capitals, that's when you deal lesser assets for guys like Marleau or Kovalchuk.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
When the Flyers leapfrogged us the red flags went up. Going 500 while waiting for 53 to come back is too much of a risk.
On top of that JGP fills a hole that we had before Cizikas even went down. 3rd line has been a disaster all year.

Reactions: MJF

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The 1st is going to be the next MDC, Kudroc, or JHS, *most likely. Lou was aggressive, it's about time. Ppl value 1st rounders so highly it makes me vomit, I've been on this site longer than most; same swan song. If it was a top-5 pick, different context.

JGP will impact the game more than points, to accentuate that, he can score.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad