Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VI: The Overpriced Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Martinez to Vegas.

Teams getting their guys in and acclimated early. Lou opened the flood gates.

I wonder if teams finally realized that they don't often get a better deal by waiting until the last second. I'm sure no huge fish being available this year has added to the quickness at which teams are willing to strike for these lesser players too.

Reactions: SI90

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
this is actually an excellent point. Greene for what he brings is a perfect fit. If he was 30 I doubt people wild have a problem with this. He’s 37 but still can move and is in good shape.

I would have preferred Martinez but I’m not upset with Greene. Greene is better defensively than Martinez

Dillion is more of a banger in the mold of Orpik that is probably a better in your ‘bottom four’.

Greene is a true “stay at home” defenseman who blocks shots and makes crisp outlet passes. He’s essentially played against opposing top lines (in our division) for his whole career so there’s also that degree of familiarity with the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, etc.

Yeah he’s older but he’s experienced and a high character guy who will understand whatever role he needs to play in (if he’s here when Pelech is healthy).

Plus, Martinez and Dillon both sit around 50% O-zone starts while Greene is way down at 40%. Not sure about PK time, but fit was definitely important in the Greene transaction.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wonder if teams finally realized that they don't often get a better deal by waiting until the last second. I'm sure no huge fish being available this year has added to the quickness at which teams are willing to strike for these lesser players too.

Garth with Vanek. I vaguely remember there was a team that offered Garth a 1st for Vanek before the deadline and he chose to wait. By waiting until the final hour that deal was dead and Vanek went for a 2nd and Colberg IIRC.

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Garth with Vanek. I vaguely remember there was a team that offered Garth a 1st for Vanek before the deadline and he chose to wait. By waiting until the final out that deal was dead and Vanek went for a 2nd and Colberg IIRC.

Didn't Wang also insist that the Islanders shouldn't retain any money? I thought that also hurt. Could be wrong though.

Reactions: CupHolders

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He’s signed for next year. He’d get NJD a good haul. I love him as a player. Plays a 2 way game and has a great shot.

would cost 1st + good prospect and possibly more.

1st + Bellows + Conditional 2020 3rd

Reactions: MJF

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Didn't Wang also insist that the Islanders shouldn't retain any money? I thought that also hurt. Could be wrong though.

don’t remember but I wouldn’t be shocked. I think it was the Kings and they thought they could re-sign Vanek even though everyone knew he was headed to the Wild. Pretty sure the kings got Gaborik and were not interested in Vanek anymore. Would have been a late first but still a first. Colberg did nothing for us.

Reactions: danteipp

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
don’t remember but I wouldn’t be shocked. I think it was the Kings and they thought they could re-sign Vanek even though everyone knew he was headed to the Wild. Pretty sure the kings got Gaborik and were not interested in Vanek anymore. Would have been a late first but still a first. Colberg did nothing for us.

Collberg

giphy.gif

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Of course, but I was curious as to which year PK would offer. Thought there was a pretty good debate around whether we should give up this year's 1st vs. next year's.

I love this years draft and I feel it’s deep. I believe the 2020 1st is in play because we moved the 2021 2nd for Greene

Unless it’s for a core piece I don’t think GMs like trading early consecutive round picks.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With respect to the Hurricanes-Rangers trade and the discussions on this board, I wouldn't move Bode Wilde for Gauthier. Gauthier is a third-year pro in the AHL (and by no means a sure thing to develop), while Wilde had a high-ankle sprain that cost him half of the season. For Wilde, it was a health issue and not a performance issue.

Wilde will probably dominate in the CHL, get some experience and reset next season when he is healthy. I would hate to give up on Wilde for a player like Gauthier. I would rather see what Bellows has to offer the rest of this year (because I doubt Trotz would have both Bellows and Gauthier out there this season) and look to trade from the defense surplus in the off season - if nothing happens at the deadline.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Yes, Greene is a stay at home guy while Dillon is a banger (well on his way to back to back 200 hit seasons). We have dropped next to last in contested shots (blocks) ahead of only the woeful Red Wings. Pelech did both well. Greene was tied for second in the entire NHL in blocks (137) and could reach 200 for the second consecutive season (208 last year).

We lead the NHL in hits- mainly do to our forwards....although we are missing two huge contributors in that area with Cizikas and particularly Clutter out....

Of course we have Martin, who leads our team with 209, but it just illustrates more how we really need that fourth line back and functioning as soon as possible......

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A lot of people reporting Devils are close to finalizing another deal.

Palmieri is scratched

Simmonds and Vatanen are also possibilities

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I’d try and Flip Eberle if we got Palmieri.

Eberle has a full NTC until after next season, then it becomes modified to 16 teams he can refuse. We're stuck with him, Lee, and Nelson until the expansion draft or later.

Of course, but I was curious as to which year PK would offer. Thought there was a pretty good debate around whether we should give up this year's 1st vs. next year's.

I'd offer the 2020 because I don't think a 2021 gets it done. I'm not really big in the draft scene and don't buy into the hype of really deep drafts. Plus, our team always goes off the board anyway or our consensus picks stink. :laugh:

For me, I'd trade Bellows now if there is interest. He hasn't shown enough for me to think he'll be an impact player and I'd rather get real value right now than wait for him to maybe become that type of player. Wahlstrom is a little different to me but I also think his release is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad