Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That is not much Arizona had to give up to get a game breaking talent. I am not gonna flip out because I have a feeling the Devils would not have traded him to us anyway, but if that is the package to get Taylor Hall, all I know is IF Lou Lamoriello does not bring in a scorer in the tier below Hall (Hoffman, Toffoli, etc.), he has failed this season. And quite frankly I dont see how anybody could not agree with that at this point. You do not get many chances to go for the cup. If getting a scorer requires giving up a really late first round pick, with Wilde, Koivula type package. You do it, you absolutely do it without hesitation.

I have learned my lesson about offering top prospects and first round picks after the Duchene dilemma.

You give those assets up for a guy signed long term, not Taylor Hall in a contract year.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Overall the round this team gets to in the playoffs isn’t what we have to worry about. Personally, I just think this offense goes cold enough at some point in the playoffs that elimination is inevitable. Only thing I can think of that saves us is beau keeps developing and turns into an actual low end/average first line winger.

Then you have him riding shotgun with Barzal and put the second line that had success last year with Lee-Nelson-bailey back together. Just thinking out loud here but like Barry said in his exit interview, we need alittle more ‘pop’

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
We need to be looking at expiring contract forwards on teams who are out of it at the deadline...period. We simply aren't in a position to trade away what few assets we have and certainly not to roll the dice on players who will be hitting FA with a "hope" they will stay here.........

We will know likely in a few weeks who will realistically be available........

That cost for Hall was simply too rich for my blood

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You must really like Milbury.

??? Milbury's trades were rarely at a time when the team was competitive. He was always chasing success. Arizona is competing right now and if history has taught you anything (Carolina Vs. Edmonton in the Stanley Cup Finals) is that any team can win the cup a given year. So why your snarky attempt to draw an unrelated comparison falls flat, Columbus GM Karalakdlakalojaklajlajalkja went for it and so is the AZ gm. I respect their bravery. Trading away youth while you're rebuilding is intolerable. That was Milbury's MO.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
??? Milbury's trades were rarely at a time when the team was competitive. He was always chasing success. Arizona is competing right now and if history has taught you anything (Carolina Vs. Edmonton in the Stanley Cup Finals) is that any team can win the cup a given year. So why your snarky attempt to draw an unrelated comparison falls flat, Columbus GM Karalakdlakalojaklajlajalkja went for it and so is the AZ gm. I respect their bravery. Trading away youth while you're rebuilding is intolerable. That was Milbury's MO.

Columbus screwed themselves for a second round appearance. If that is your idea of being a good GM then you deserved a semi snarky comment lol.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
What if Lou goes and gets Eric Staal and Pageau and we lose in first round. Thats success right?
Your misunderstanding me. I am not talking about the success of the team on the ice. I am talking about the GM. If Lou does his job but the team does not on the ice, then the season might be a failure but Lou did his job. Lou cannot control what happens on the ice, but he CAN do his job and address the weaknesses of the team to put them in the best position to win a championship. They are two completely different things.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
That was the dream scenario, too bad Lou was asleep at the wheel, again. I wish we had 16 year old GM too like Arizona and Toronto.
Yeah, criticize a team in first place that gave up not a single piece off their NHL roster to get a game breaking talent and try to make a playoff run. Makes a lot of sense. At some point, it cannot keep always being about futures. I am not saying to trade Barzal, or even Dobson. But at this point in the building of the team, what the hell do we need a first round pick around 25 overall for? It is so important that we keep draft picks rather than trying to win a cup? I just dont get it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, criticize a team in first place that gave up not a single piece off their NHL roster to get a game breaking talent and try to make a playoff run. Makes a lot of sense. At some point, it cannot keep always being about futures. I am not saying to trade Barzal, or even Dobson. But at this point in the building of the team, what the hell do we need a first round pick around 25 overall for? It is so important that we keep draft picks rather than trying to win a cup? I just dont get it.

Arizona and first place...interesting way to frame that. They're tied for 9th in the league, they're two points away from being a wild card team (in fact, they're tied with one of the wild card teams) and that division has the worst first place record in the NHL. They're anything but a lock to even make the playoffs. I'm not sure they are ready for this type of move, but sure, good for them, they need scoring help.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
... and knocked off the President's trophy winners with ease. But hey if tiny balls and shiny potential NHL / bust players are your thing....so be it.

Great, they made it as far as the Islanders did and the Isles didn't make a move. Loading up doesn't mean you'll get far/further. Making the right moves is key and unloading the cupboard for a run when it can be a one and done scenario is the wrong way to do business to me.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
... and knocked off the President's trophy winners with ease. But hey if tiny balls and shiny potential NHL / bust players are your thing....so be it.
Lol. What Columbus did last TDL was a disaster. Bringing that up is not helping your argument.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Great, they made it as far as the Islanders did and the Isles didn't make a move. Loading up doesn't mean you'll get far/further. Making the right moves is key and unloading the cupboard for a run when it can be a one and done scenario is the wrong way to do business to me.

Different franchises. CBJ had never gotten past the first round. Every single fan is going to remember that moment for the rest of their lives. I understand the slow and steady approach too, but it's not the 80's anymore. Dynasties don't happen. If you're shrewd and have faith in your ability to draft and develop, than emptying the cupboard is a short term set back. It'll remain to be seen how CBJ GM recovers so can't grade him yet. Point is, he believed in his ability as a GM. Every single piece they gave up could end up being nothing, like the Smyth trade for the Isles. Yet fans have a memory etched in stone.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The shiny toy is not always the right fit. There are many factors involved in any player acquisition, but that gets largely ignored because of the Veruca Salt syndrome.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lol. What Columbus did last TDL was a disaster. Bringing that up is not helping your argument.

Remains to be seen doesn't it....what will you say if the pieces they gave up amount to nothing? Winning a round against the President's trophy team for the first time in franchise history vs. unloading prospects / draft picks that end up being busts? Why draw a conclusion to something that hasn't yet transpired?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Different franchises. CBJ had never gotten past the first round. Every single fan is going to remember that moment for the rest of their lives. I understand the slow and steady approach too, but it's not the 80's anymore. Dynasties don't happen. If you're shrewd and have faith in your ability to draft and develop, than emptying the cupboard is a short term set back. It'll remain to be seen how CBJ GM recovers so can't grade him yet. Point is, he believed in his ability as a GM. Every single piece they gave up could end up being nothing, like the Smyth trade for the Isles. Yet fans have a memory etched in stone.

Remains to be seen doesn't it....what will you say if the pieces they gave up amount to nothing? Winning a round against the President's trophy team for the first time in franchise history vs. unloading prospects / draft picks that end up being busts? Why draw a conclusion to something that hasn't yet transpired?

No, it's still wrong if those players end up being busts. They could've been used to bring in something else that would help long term. What if the Islanders didn't trade for a rental, but instead traded those players for something else that didn't disappear after a few months?

Dynasties don't happen like they did in the 80's, but the good teams stick around a long time. Look at all of the cup winners since the Hurricanes. They were all perennial playoff teams with a contender status attached to them. The Penguins, Kings, Blackhawks, Blues, Bruins, Capitals...all of those teams are built to last. There hasn't been a team that has been middle of the pack or has come out of nowhere, loaded up on players and then won the cup. That's the ultimate goal. As nice as it is for the game and for the city of Columbus to have that memory, it results in nothing.

Columbus is currently 28th in the NHL. It was a bad move to go for it at the time, they were going to lose all of those pieces and could've helped maintain their upward trajectory by bringing in assets instead of spending assets to go for their run.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
To play Devil’s advocate, what if they use those trade chips at the draft to acquire someone with term? Or they end up drafting their next franchise player with that pick?

I don’t care if you’ve never made the playoffs, making the playoffs and winning one round is not the goal. If you’re going to sell the farm for rentals, you better damn sure be heavy, heavy favorites to win the cup at that point. Those moves did not do that for CBJ

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
To play Devil’s advocate, what if they use those trade chips at the draft to acquire someone with term? Or they end up drafting their next franchise player with that pick?

I don’t care if you’ve never made the playoffs, making the playoffs and winning one round is not the goal. If you’re going to sell the farm for rentals, you better damn sure be heavy, heavy favorites to win the cup at that point. Those moves did not do that for CBJ

That term literally does not exist. CBJ was a favorite after beating the Lightning in round 1....

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No, it's still wrong if those players end up being busts. They could've been used to bring in something else that would help long term. What if the Islanders didn't trade for a rental, but instead traded those players for something else that didn't disappear after a few months?

Dynasties don't happen like they did in the 80's, but the good teams stick around a long time. Look at all of the cup winners since the Hurricanes. They were all perennial playoff teams with a contender status attached to them. The Penguins, Kings, Blackhawks, Blues, Bruins, Capitals...all of those teams are built to last. There hasn't been a team that has been middle of the pack or has come out of nowhere, loaded up on players and then won the cup. That's the ultimate goal. As nice as it is for the game and for the city of Columbus to have that memory, it results in nothing.

Columbus is currently 28th in the NHL. It was a bad move to go for it at the time, they were going to lose all of those pieces and could've helped maintain their upward trajectory by bringing in assets instead of spending assets to go for their run.

And that would be just as risky as what they did. You don't know how the value of the pieces could have changed. Would Nilsson and O'Marra still had been as valuable if Snow waited another year? You guys can play Monday morning quarterback all you want but I've yet to read a biography on someone successful that hasn't shown they took risks to get there. This is hockey, not the environment. I'm not rooting for the Isles to win a Stanley Cup for my children's children, lmfao.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
That term literally does not exist. CBJ was a favorite after beating the Lightning in round 1....
To win the cup?

No. No they were not.

The Blue Jackets sold the farm and it wasn’t even a sure thing they were going to make the playoffs. Could you imagine they sold the farm and then missed the playoffs and that pick won the lottery?

Also fine then. If there’s no such thing as a heavy favorite to win the cup, why bother giving up multiple good futures for a rental anyway? If it’s just a crapshoot regardless, why not just roll the dice with what you have?

I acknowledge this team needs a scorer. But if it’s going to be a rental I’m not selling the farm. I’d only sell the farm for a scorer with term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad