Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If Pulock has a great year and Bode Wilde starts looking like the real deal as a RH defenseman and some team comes along and offers us something really great and asks for Dobson in return, do we think about it? :huh:

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
If Pulock has a great year and Bode Wilde starts looking like the real deal as a RH defenseman and some team comes along and offers us something really great and asks for Dobson in return, do we think about it? :huh:
Depends on what is being offered. IMO, we gotta protect Dobson at most costs. I think he's a top talent that can solidify our blueline - something that hasn't been stabilized in a long time.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

No because Pulock nor Wilde are shutdown defensemen by nature.

Dobson’s defensive game may be more advanced than Pulock’s after the end of the next season.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

I don't think so. From what I understand, Dobson is much closer to a sure shot then Wilde. But you have to define what "really great"means. Is that a high-end 2c?

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

That “something really great” better be a legit top pairing defenseman. Otherwise, there’s no reason to move him. Dobson has the potential to be a shutdown top pairing d-man and his defense could very well end up being better than Pulock and Wilde, who both still need to work on their defense.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

You listen to all offeres but I promise you Dobson has higher upside than Wilde. I love Wilde and talked about him here long before he was drafted. While he’s talented and has so much skill he needs to round out his game and get better defensively. Think a defensive version of Ho-Sang.

Reactions: IODCPiper

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'm not sure what will happen with Bob, the market for goaltenders is weird these days. Depends on who needs one, and if they have someone coming up in the pipeline. Philly has a need, but they have Carter Hart, and they've already screwed themselves once spending big money on a goaltender. Detroit needs one, but would Bob sign up for a rebuild? And we might need one, and same issue with the rebuild and possibly having an answer in house.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No. From the scouting reports Dobson has the highest upside of the 3.

I have concerns that Wilde will develop into a " all the tools, no toolbox" players, after reading about his decision making.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You listen to all offeres but I promise you Dobson has higher upside than Wilde. I love Wilde and talked about him here long before he was drafted. While he’s talented and has so much skill he needs to round out his game and get better defensively. Think a defensive version of Ho-Sang.
Which nhl defenseman would you compare Wilde to?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

I have concerns that Wilde will develop into a " all the tools, no toolbox" players, after reading about his decision making.

Most of his mistakes have been him being too aggressive and trying to do too much. I have no doubt our current coaching staff can get him to play a cleaner game.

If he was having defensive issues (a la Pulock) I'd be more worried.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I always think its funny how many people on here say I would NEVER trade _______ (fill in the current beloved prospect of the year). Is it likely to happen? No, because most teams probably wont offer a great young already NHL-proven player back in return. But in a dream world, lets say Columbus said we will trade you Zach Werenski for Noah Dobson or Dallas made John Klingberg available or Coyotes offered OEL, you would not do it? Again, not going to happen, but to say you would NEVER trade Noah Dobson for anything is absurd.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Most of his mistakes have been him being too aggressive and trying to do too much. I have no doubt our current coaching staff can get him to play a cleaner game.

If he was having defensive issues (a la Pulock) I'd be more worried.
thanks for the scouting report.

I had read speculation about why he slid in the draft and wondered if his hockey IQ was a concern for scouts (along with his opting out on college)

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I always think its funny how many people on here say I would NEVER trade _______ (fill in the current beloved prospect of the year). Is it likely to happen? No, because most teams probably wont offer a great young already NHL-proven player back in return. But in a dream world, lets say Columbus said we will trade you Zach Werenski for Noah Dobson or Dallas made John Klingberg available or Coyotes offered OEL, you would not do it? Again, not going to happen, but to say you would NEVER trade Noah Dobson for anything is absurd.

Well people are probably being realistic and not thinking they are going to get offered a top pairing defenseman for a prospect. I'm sure people would trade Dobson for one of those guys.

That's like saying a poster here states "Barzal is worth too much to trade right now"

"OH REALLY? SO YOU WOULDN'T TAKE MCDAVID FOR HIM?????? JFHSJSHF"

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Well people are probably being realistic and not thinking they are going to get offered a top pairing defenseman for a prospect. I'm sure people would trade Dobson for one of those guys.

That's like saying a poster here states "Barzal is worth too much to trade right now"

"OH REALLY? SO YOU WOULDN'T TAKE MCDAVID FOR HIM?????? JFHSJSHF"
But see that is different. I actually would not trade Barzal for just about anything other than maybe McDavid or Matthews. But Barzal has already proven he can be a star in the NHL. Dobson has not proven anything. My point is how people will say they will NEVER trade a guy they have never seen play a single game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't think you'll know for certain about how well or poor his overall hockey IQ is until he turns pro. If you have the physical tools, often times it's difficult in junior hockey to differentiate between a player dominating because they're just talented and a player dominating because they're talented AND smart.

It's often a timing thing. In junior, you have, say, two full seconds to make a pass. So talented guys can make that pass every time, because even those with low IQ have two full seconds to process it. So it's only when they reach the pros, when that time goes from 2 seconds to like half a second, to see whether they can still make that pass with less time available to process their options.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not sure what will happen with Bob, the market for goaltenders is weird these days. Depends on who needs one, and if they have someone coming up in the pipeline. Philly has a need, but they have Carter Hart, and they've already screwed themselves once spending big money on a goaltender. Detroit needs one, but would Bob sign up for a rebuild? And we might need one, and same issue with the rebuild and possibly having an answer in house.

He was already on the Flyers to start his career. Not sure if he'd even want to go back, especially knowing Hart is waiting to take over.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Which nhl defenseman would you compare Wilde to?

Hard to say. His size, style of play, skating, and offensive reminds me of Brent Burns but he’s have to go a long way to reach that. Other than Burns it’s hard to find s comparable imo

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I would prefer to wait until we actually have a surplus of Dmen at the NHL level before making moves that bank on having a surplus of Dmen at the NHL level. I wouldn't move Dobson unless someone was willing to significantly overpay.

No because Pulock nor Wilde are shutdown defensemen by nature.

Dobson’s defensive game may be more advanced than Pulock’s after the end of the next season.
Wilde plays physically, but he takes way too many risks to be considered a shutdown guy by nature.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
in pre season Wilde looked terrible, i know it's my dime store eyes and a really narrow window of 2 pre season games but to me he looked 3-5 years away before looking like an NHL d-man....hope I'm wrong like the infinity of times I have been on prospects except Barzal ofcourse...

scott99

May 13, 2005
It's a really tough comparison for Wilde. My first impression was Jacob Trouba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad