Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "You Could Be Mine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Blind faith? Everyone on here just loses faith no matter who we hire lmao. I'll take blind faith over being pessimistic all the time
questioning the decisions made by management or discussing potential future outcomes is not pessimism

you defend Yamamoto even though he probably will never reach the highs he had two years ago and was the biggest under-performer of last year while borderline slandering Pulju last year who has now become a better player than him. Kahun is/can still be a valuable player to the team

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
you think Holloway/Benson are better options at wing for the 2021-2022 season?
shall we just start a top pair of Broberg - Bouchard next year too?

no one is saying sign Kahun for 6 years but he is still an asset for at least the next 2 years

In the bottom 6, yeah I'd rather have Benson/Holloway. One is a prospect who needs to play NHL games soon (Benson) and the other may or may not be NHL-ready but if he is has aspects and potential to his game that Kahun certainly doesn't. Maybe Holloway needs to start in the AHL, but at least Benson should be in the NHL next season.

Reactions: nabob

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Nice point. I like this POV. That should be the case for Shore and Khaira though too.

I like Kahun much more than those two but they’re definitely more suitable as 4th liners and extra utility forwards than Kahun. I’m hoping both end up splitting time between the press box and on the 4th line only when needed (injuries etc).

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Kahun may not be good but he is cheap.. Why not qualify him?
Holland talked about internal growth and settling in for Archi and Shore.. Same could apply to Kahun ..
Ennis, Nygard, Haas, Chiasson etc leaving has left some room for him on the squad.

How the hell are the Oilers going to get better if they keep trotting out the same shitty players?

Not saying you directly, but the way everyone immediately reflexes to "BAD MOVE, DUMB" no matter what Holland does frustrates the hell out of me.

I know for a stone cold fact that if Kahun was re-signed the same people calling this a bad move would be all over Holland for not making any changes. Always the contrarian view, infuriating.

Reactions: TB12 and ujju2

Proko88

May 6, 2010
That’s where it gets interesting
I think any trade involves on of our RD. I would say Bear. As for Patrick, would Benson and a pick get it done?
We are pretty rich with LD prospects as well, I would be hesitant on trading Broberg. Samorukov and Jones and Laggeson would be on the table for me for the right player. I am also a fan of bringing in Oleksiak

Reactions: WIOiler

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'd try to trade for someone like Killorn and then we don't need to worry about protecting Kassian. Sign 2 more left wingers and Kahun is irrelevant.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
In the bottom 6, yeah I'd rather have Benson/Holloway. One is a prospect who needs to play NHL games soon (Benson) and the other may or may not be NHL-ready but if he is has aspects and potential to his game that Kahun certainly doesn't. Maybe Holloway needs to start in the AHL, but at least Benson should be in the NHL next season.
again, more wingers-more options. Oilers have 50 contract spots and 23 roster spots. waive him if he isn't useful anymore, regardless you qualify him.

how is this even a discussion, we are talking about freaking qualifying him

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kahun may not be good but he is cheap.. Why not qualify him?
Holland talked about internal growth and settling in for Archi and Shore.. Same could apply to Kahun ..
Ennis, Nygard, Haas, Chiasson etc leaving has left some room for him on the squad.
I'm in aggrement here. Kahun isn't a world beater, but he can bring some offense in the right scenario as a depth guy if nothing else. It's no huge loss if we lose him, but unless he wants to be overpaid, qualify him and see what happens.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I fully expect Benson to take Kahun's spot, but even if he doesn't it wouldn't surprise me if lack of size in the roster was a major factor in deciding to move on from Kahun.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He has a chance to help it a whole lot more than the AHLers that are only kept around to PK.
It's not the AHLers doing the PKing. Though I would argue that you'd probably get similar offense from Benson in a third line role.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Kahun with Draisaitl GF%= 58.33
Kahun without Draisaitl GF%= 31.82
Draisaitl without Kahun GF%= 64.06

Personally I don't care about Kahun being or not being qualified, not a terrible player, but seems to be highly replaceable.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's like there is a cap on how many skilled players this team can play before icing completely awful players at 5v5 that can PK and take faceoffs.
There's a cap on the number of players you can put on your active roster. You also need to fill your PK unit with a contingent of those players. Guys like Tyler Benson and Cooper Marody are also waiver eligible, so signing an abundance of 'skilled' players means you potentially lose these prospects of value.

Fact of the matter is that Kahun didn't do anything last year to solidify his spot. He actually made a lot of bad plays that made me concerned when he was out there without Draisaitl.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Half the bottom six and most of the taxi squad were AHL quality players that could literally only PK.
There won't be a taxi squad next year, which is why guys like PRussell, Ennis, Neal, Chiasson aren't long for this roster. Jury's out on Jones and Lagesson.

I'm not sure what your argument is for Kahun. He can't even PK. What does he do well?

Reactions: Faelko

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I feel like we need to set our sights higher than Kahun. We have a lot of 4th line players when you start counting Archibald, Kassian, McLeod, Khaira.

Add Benson and maybe Holloway too. I continue to believe that our 4th line should be built around Benson-McLeod.

Reactions: Faelko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad