Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wanted Dead or Alive: A Goalie, Defense & Depth (preferably alive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nate Schmidt's available? Ewww. He's got horrible fancies. He must be in a horribly uncorrectable decline. Vancouver would have to give multiple firsts to clear that contract. Corsi is god and regression is always certain.

Reactions: Del Preston

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Duncan Keith is terrible and is only gonna get worse at age 38, also unlike Neal who has a buyout friendly contract Keith's is nearly buyout immune. Veterancy/experience/intangibles is the most overrated thing in pro sports, that experience and intangibles don't mean a damn thing when they're a blatant negative value asset in terms of actual play. You know what actually matters? TANGIBLES! Demonstrable, measurable, observable contribution! The only way I'd consider trading for Keith is if the Oilers aren't planning on using a buyout on Neal this summer and do a 1 for 1 swap, no picks added, no prospects added, nothing.

Whenever you're thinking about whether we should go after a player, think to yourself, what's the first word that comes to mind about a player. If it's some intangibles filth like "leadership, heart, grit, culture, locker-room, veteran, experience, character" or whatever the f***, the answer is a big fat NO! Stay away! The whole reason the Oilers are in this mess today is because we overindexed and overpayed on this kind of trash during both the Decade of Darkness (Belanger, Gordon, Sutton, N Schultz, Ference, Fayne, Horcoff, Smyth etc) and the Chiarelli era (Lucic, Kassian, Chiasson, Larsson, Sekera, Russell etc).

All the posters talking about how the problem is no veteran presence or character whatever, get this through your heads:

Tangibles>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Intangibles

Keith is a 2 time Norris winner, multiple cup champ and 2 time Olympic gold winner. This isn't Eric Belanger we are talking about. He wouldn't be a bad option as a vet 2nd pair D to help some of the young guys along if he comes cheap.

I don't know about you but learning from people I respect always helps me, I can't imagine it's all that different for a guy in the NHL

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Yes, thats fine. Lot more nuance. But by saying "You cant see the future" you've dissolved any gm of any responsibility for any moves ever. It makes zero sense.

And also, I will add that even if AA had qualified, we can see now assets like this have better value. AA/Green were just red wing darlings that Holland liked.

Im not breaking up over not get Viktor, but I think we realize now we can get better value.
Had AA performed for us like he played for LA, we'd be very happy with the trade.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Nate Schmidt's available? Ewww. He's got horrible fancies. He must be in a horribly uncorrectable decline. Vancouver would have to give multiple firsts to clear that contract. Corsi is god and regression is always certain.
His fancies greatly declined when he went from a Cup contender to a bad team. Stay far away.

Reactions: belair

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
1LW - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - 2RW
Benson - 3C - Yamamoto
Khaira - McLeod - Archibald
Shore

Nurse - Bear
2LD - Larsson
Keith - Bouchard
Russell

1A
Smith

I don't think Keith should be expected to play any higher than the bottom pairing, which means Chicago needs to retain and take cap back. We still need a 2LD IMO.

Reactions: The Safe Play

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If anything Schmidt is underrated. I mean look at what he got traded for last year. He's worth a lot more than a 3rd.

The circumstances around that trade dictated the terms. He’s a good 2nd pair D man but overrated by a lot of fans.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
He had one hot streak and was pretty awful the rest of the time. He also played ANA, ARI and SJ a whole bunch.

He's an awful one dimensional hockey player.

Exactly. Dude had something like 4 goals in his final 30 games with the Kings. I'm not losing sleep over him. What I am choked about is that we spent 2 second round picks on a player that only played a handful of games here whereas teams like Colorado, NYI, etc have paid similar prices for players who are part of their core.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Keith is a 2 time Norris winner, multiple cup champ and 2 time Olympic gold winner. This isn't Eric Belanger we are talking about. He wouldn't be a bad option as a vet 2nd pair D to help some of the young guys along if he comes cheap.

I don't know about you but learning from people I respect always helps me, I can't imagine it's all that different for a guy in the NHL
It doesn't come cheap. It comes at the cost of a 5.5 million dollar cap hit. The Oilers picked up Ryan Smyth back in 2011 for "mentorship" purposes and it did f*** all for the team. What that trade actually was is a titanic fleecing where the LA Kings dumped a huge negative value contract onto us for little cost and opened up an opportunity to acquire Carter+Richards and go on their Cup runs.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

What do posters like this think we do with guys like Kassian, Koskinen and Neal? Bad salary cost assets to move. But clearly it can be re-allocated to an area of immediate need.

The 'get good players' alternative? Spend assets and money to dump bad contracts. Spend assets and money to acquire 'good players', which in reality is the limited selection of available players at that very time within your price range. What's even left after you build your lunch-pail roster?

In reality the alternative is the vanilla mid-range 'skill' players that are no different than the Kahun, Kulikov, Talbot variety of placeholders the team has used in recent seasons. Lucic, Sekera and Pouliot if you increase the level of risk.

Fact of the matter is that losing Barrie leaves a chasm of offensive production that likely isn't getting covered next season by the defense. Guys like Murray, Oleksiak, Kulikov aren't helping you address that.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

lol

I hate our fanbase.

For anyone interested in seeing who Marody destroyed that year in his 40 mins of 5v5 ice time.

Cooper Marody - Opposition - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Microscopic impossible to draw conclusions from sample size aside, do wish we saw more of some of our young guys this year. Got my fill of seeing our bottom 6, and bottom 9 for the last half the year be black hole of suck. But, COVID and all and 2 week isolations etc... bummer.

Reactions: The Safe Play

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
My fantasy:

Neal+Jones for Keith

Edmonton trades 1st and Koskinen to Seattle on the condition that Seattle selects Keith in expansion draft.

Over 10 mil in salary freed up

This will have to remain a fantasy. ....Keith has a NMC which means he HAS to be protected in the ED.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For anyone interested in seeing who Marody destroyed that year in his 40 mins of 5v5 ice time.

Cooper Marody - Opposition - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Microscopic impossible to draw conclusions from sample size aside, do wish we saw more of some of our young guys this year. Got my fill of seeing our bottom 6, and bottom 9 for the last half the year be black hole of suck. But, COVID and all and 2 week isolations etc... bummer.
Unless he's going to try the europe route I don't see why we wouldn't bring him back for another season. Worse case scenario he gets picked up on waivers. Best case we have a younger bottom 6 player that is chea, one who has showed offense at every level he's played.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Would Chicago do a three-way deal with Neal involved?

Edmonton sends Neal to a third team with a pick, they retain 50%, then that team sends him to Chicago and they buy him out.

Chicago sends Keith to us and we give them Jones.

Oilers: Neal + Jones + pick for Keith.
Chicago: Jones + Neal @50% bought out to get rid of Keith's cap hit.
Third team: Neal @50% bought out for a pick.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I would have loved to get arvidson--28 and I think still a top 6 FW

Problem is we have neither a 2nd or 3rd this year and next years drafted is projected(it is early) as being a good draft

there are two problems about trading for Arvidson now

Expansion draft--we are already in a tough spot of decision to make--I was hoping we would not sign Nuge till after the expansion draft

If I was in the GM chair for the Oilers(that should scare most of you) I would have seen if the preds would have waited till after the expansion draft and offered our 1st and something for Arvidson and Tolvanen?

but that is just me

North

Jun 25, 2009
I hope so.

I was mostly just saying that you cant just waive your hand and say "You cant predict the future" at every move. Thats not how GMing works lol.

Well you can at one move. Literally the only move people are saying this about is the AA move. That’s because it’s a valid reason.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Lucic also contributes to other teams. Did a lot of that this year.

He’s not worth his buyout proof contract.

Yes I want out of the Neal contract but in no way shape or form is it a fleecing if we don’t.
Regularly scratching a 5.75 million dollar player makes it a lopsided trade if the upcoming season resembles the last.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Had AA performed for us like he played for LA, we'd be very happy with the trade.

He scored at a better rate for LA then Arvidsson did for Nashville and the same people lauding Arvidsson are probably the ones pissed about AA.

Reactions: McSuper

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It doesn't come cheap. It comes at the cost of a 5.5 million dollar cap hit. The Oilers picked up Ryan Smyth back in 2011 for "mentorship" purposes and it did f*** all for the team. What that trade actually was is a titanic fleecing where the LA Kings dumped a huge negative value contract onto us for little cost and opened up an opportunity to acquire Carter+Richards and go on their Cup runs.
Why do you and so many here think we are taking him on without returning a contract??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad