Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wanted Dead or Alive: A Goalie, Defense & Depth (preferably alive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver trying to trade Schmidt already is high comedy.

They’re going to go for OEL again, aren’t they?

Schmidt is bound to have a bit of a bounce back too (though overrated). Big mistake

Reactions: North

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not that the Oilers should have been in on Arvidsson necessarily. Just frustrating to see other teams get quality players for cheap while the Oilers continue to have the same roster holes they've always had and I know that the offseason hasn't really begun yet, just venting a little frustration in a grand scheme of things sense.
Is arvidsson still good? his last 2 seasons were meh

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm ok waiting to see if we do better than Arvidsson, but our first absolutely needs to be on the table for a player like that.
For Arvidsson? That's quite the risk. Two seasons in a row he's around 40 point pace. 4.25mil for 3 years as well.

Lots of talk he isn't the same player after Bortuzzo laid him out a couple years ago.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Ya, sorry, Koskinen is a good backup. In his worst season in his last 3 years he finished with a .899 save %, which although historically bad, was good enough for 44th in the NHL last season, which is right in the middle of the league in backup territory. He was 15th in the league the season before. His 3 year average puts him at 43rd in the league. He is a good backup. Not at 4.5 million obviously, but that is exactly my point. We need a goalie like Koskinen more than we need that 4.5 this year. We already have a pile of cap space. If there was an option to trade Koskinen I am all for it, but not if it means giving up an asset like a first rounder to do it. That first rounder is gold to us right now. Could be used in a deal for a guy like Rakell or could just be used to pick a player who will eventually round out the roster on an ELC. Don't waste a pick to get rid of a player who fills a hole despite his cap hit. If we could use it to get rid of Neal, I might be interested, but to get rid of 1 year of a useful player is crazy bad asset management.
Yeah that's very true lol... I think the contract makes him look worse than he truly is. If he was getting 1-2 million we wouldn't be on his head as much.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Reading NSH fans previously they blamed his down seasons on injuries he's sustained I think I recall a back injury mentioned, he's no longer playing the same reckless balls to the wall style, and Hynes being a terrible coach.
Well this is the one thing for me. Players seem to lose offense playing in NSH, but ya everything I've read as of late suggests he isn't the same guy.

3 years at 4.25mil is just too much IMO to be giving up good assets for the guy.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
WiNnInG cHamPiOnsHiPs UnDeR ToXiC EnViRoNmEnTs Is aBsOLuTeLy DiSgUsTiNG

Go ask Steve Kerr, the player Michael Jordan punched in the face in practice, whether he'd want Michael Jordan on his team again. Professional sports isn't a feelings profession it's a get results profession.

And who decided that? I didn't stutter.
Your making abuse acceptable and normal under the guise of a professional sport.
Abuse is never acceptable in any form no matter how you spin it.
Abuse is only accepted by people who abuse or been abused victims that have not healed.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
And who decided that? I didn't stutter.
Your making abuse acceptable and normal under the guise of a professional sport.
Abuse is never acceptable in any form no matter how you spin it.
Abuse is only accepted by people who abuse or been abused victims that have not healed.
It was decided by the professions themselves. The fact that your toxic "not worth winning a championship with" players keep leading their teams to success and keep getting giant contracts is proof of that. If Connor McDavid wants to yell at Devin Shore for being a bad player or whatever I'm keeping McDavid, you can keep Shore.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
It was decided by the professions themselves. The fact that your toxic "not worth winning a championship with" players keep leading their teams to success and keep getting giant contracts is proof of that. If Connor McDavid wants to yell at Devin Shore for being a bad player or whatever I'm keeping McDavid, you can keep Shore.

Whoosh, over your head.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Oh no, the Oilers didn't trade a pick they don't have for a player who isn't what he once was. The offseason is a failure, and everything is terrible.

"Blind Faith"

People are allowed to discuss man. You going to post this exact same post but with something else filling in the blank every time?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Bad asset management is bad asset management.

The GM job is to have foresight and keep/use assets at the right time. Has nothing to do with seeing the future. This is the definition of GMs job.
I think Yams's point is Holland couldn't foresee Covid wiping out the season not long after the trade and preventing the cap from increasing. Under regular circumstances, AA would have been qualified and been an Oiler this season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Bad asset management is bad asset management.

The GM job is to have foresight and keep/use assets at the right time. Has nothing to do with seeing the future. This is the definition of GMs job.

Unfortunately COVID played a part in those wasted second round picks.

The loss of the third round pick is on the NHL and their decision to prorate.

If we had used our first to get a player like Arvidsson I would have been irate.

Perhaps he uses the assets we have to get a higher end piece.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Our 1st needs to be on the table for a better player IMO

The only way I don’t trade it is fi Cossa is still available. The trade also has to be for a young player on the upswing, not a declining prospect in a position that we don’t need.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I think Yams's point is Holland couldn't foresee Covid wiping out the season not long after the trade and preventing the cap from increasing. Under regular circumstances, AA would have been qualified and been an Oiler this season.

Yes, thats fine. Lot more nuance. But by saying "You cant see the future" you've dissolved any gm of any responsibility for any moves ever. It makes zero sense.

And also, I will add that even if AA had qualified, we can see now assets like this have better value. AA/Green were just red wing darlings that Holland liked.

Im not breaking up over not get Viktor, but I think we realize now we can get better value.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Unfortunately COVID played a part in those wasted second round picks.

The loss of the third round pick is on the NHL and their decision to prorate.

If we had used our first to get a player like Arvidsson I would have been irate.

Perhaps he uses the assets we have to get a higher end piece.

I hope so.

I was mostly just saying that you cant just waive your hand and say "You cant predict the future" at every move. Thats not how GMing works lol.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If Larsson looks like he won't be re-signing I'd probably go hard after Hamilton.

I wonder what the sticking point is with Larsson. A few weeks ago I thought they were close on a 3 or 4 year deal at around 3.75 mil. Larsson has also stated that he loves the city and would like to stay here. Hopefully he does stay as he was a very valuable part of our defense this season.

As for Hamilton, he might be a bit out of our price range, albeit he would be a good Barrie replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad