Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: The Offseason is long and full of bad proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
And for some reason a 2nd pairing Vatanen is the piece that will put us over the top

D > C > W

Vatanen > Maroon

That isn't even arguable in my opinion. And for the Oilers:

D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else (G, C, W)

Every team in the league knows the Oilers need D. We aren't competing until we get some legitimate D. Vatanen doesn't solve everything but he would help (any D especially RHD would help us)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
D > C > W

Vatanen > Maroon

That isn't even arguable in my opinion. And for the Oilers:

D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else (G, C, W)

Youd think Vatanen was like prime lidstrom or something geeze. Some "insider" speculates Murray would rather not deal pieces to Edmonton to help them ascend, so immediately that means all avenues to get either are closed? Murray just literally traded us a 6'5 PWF who scored 14 points in 16 games here. And then was also reportedly extremely close to another deal to send Vatanen here. But all of a sudden this inisders word is gospel?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
IMO, Columbus is the team to target.

Ultimatum time. Accept our Yakupov for Savard offer, which saves them a couple million on the cap, or we offer sheet Seth Jones at 7 million, which they absolutely can't afford.

Offer sheets should be treated as a last resort, they destroy relationships between GM's and they put a target on your back for reprisal offer sheets. 2nd question can we afford Jones at $7 million, he is tracking and progressing well, but at no point have I watched him and thought he was a complete stud d-man worthy of $7 million, just that he had the potential to reach that level. He could amount to something like Brad Stuart who was very good early with a lot of pedigree and was tracking very well into being a real stud d-man, gets traded and looks great early, but just slides downward & regresses from there.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Youd think Vatanen was like prime lidstrom or something geeze. Some "insider" speculates Murray would rather not deal pieces to Edmonton to help them ascend, so immediately that means all avenues to get either are closed? Murray just literally traded us a 6'5 PWF who scored 14 points in 16 games here. And then was also reportedly extremely close to another deal to send Vatanen here. But all of a sudden this inisders word is gospel?

Who said he's prime Lidstrom? Comprehension issues?

And maybe you are right, Vatanen can still be traded to Edm but what Stephens says makes logical sense. And he has connections and talks to Ana's GM. What connections do you have? No offense but I rather listen to what Stephens says than what you have to say.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I can't believe I'm doing this but I think I agree with Raab.....we should trade down and draft Sergechev.

D has become the most important position in hockey and when teams have them they are reluctant to give them up. And teams with #1's still want more D so it's a position that has lots of demand. For those that will point to the past for trades for D....well that was then. This is now. And the truth that seems to be emerging is that top D just aren't moved (unless there is a chance of losing them due to UFA).

I'm for taking him at 4 if we cant find the right team willing to give us anything to trade down. I'd prefer to trade down but if it's not there then make the pick and dont worry about missing out on the 2nd round pick we could have received to move back a few spots.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

I think the situations are a little different regarding trading a forward who was losing his spot in the lineup and a defenseman who just led your backend in points to a division rival. Seeing Maroon have instant success doesn't help either but I agree it is all just speculation but there is a sense of logic to it.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I can't believe I'm doing this but I think I agree with Raab.....we should trade down and draft Sergechev.

D has become the most important position in hockey and when teams have them they are reluctant to give them up. And teams with #1's still want more D so it's a position that has lots of demand. For those that will point to the past for trades for D....well that was then. This is now. And the truth that seems to be emerging is that top D just aren't moved (unless there is a chance of losing them due to UFA).
I wouldn't D take a lot longer to develop than forwards. Stay at #4. D can take 3-5 years.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Offer sheets should be treated as a last resort, they destroy relationships between GM's and they put a target on your back for reprisal offer sheets.

This honestly doesn't bother me, is there evidence of this happening even once?

I remember all of the bluster from Buffalo when the Oilers sheeted Vanek ("We'll remember this for the rest of our lives!!"), but at the end of the day Buffalo did squat. And I see no reason to believe that if Chiarelli called them up to talk trade that they would hang up the phone.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Heres a list of RFA D:

Krug, Barrie, Dekeyser, Orlov, Stone, Ristolainen, Lindholm, Dumba, Vatanen, Ceci, Trouba, Jones

Plenty of talent to offersheet

Wild are in a bind (Spurgeron, Brodin, Scandella)
Rangers are in a bind (McDonaugh, Klien)
Predators are in a bind (Jones, Savard)

there are 3/4 good UFA D (Goligoski, Yandle, Demers, Hamhuis)

There are 3/4 dumb GMs

Please here get to hung up on 1 D

I could see Krug on the block, the team hasn't ever commited to him on a long-term deal, part of that was cap constraints, but I haven't heard much about him getting locked up long term. Boston also has been rumored to be interested in Yandle and Shattenkirk, landing either one of them could make him expendable.

Orlov I think is at a point that he will price himself out of Washington, cause I don't think they want to open up the piggybank for what is a 3rd pairing d-man on that team.

Given Stevens comments since he was hired by the Wild my suspicion is they will keep Dumba and move Brodin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad