Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: The Offseason is long and full of bad proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sakic doesn't strike me as a guy that would play games. He was a straight forward and honest player and he's been the same as GM. That quote comes directly from him that he's not trading Barrie (he also surprisingly says they are qualifying Siemens and Gormely which is kind of shocking). So I'm going to take Sakic at his word as he's never given any reason not to

In all fairness, it's not like we actually heard him say it. :nod:

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Shattenkirk, with extension, is for me our best target. Easily. Can run a PP and play top 4 minutes at even strength. He's done it on a playoff team several times already so it's the most proven asset on the market.

If there is any way to convince him to come to Edmonton and stay, I'd do Shattenkirk + 28th overall for 4th overall (and I've seen Blues fans accept that proposal as well).

Jeremy Rutherford also has stated that a Shattenkirk deal means picks/prospects to STL due to the need to clear salary. This is a team trying to re-sign Schwartz and maybe Backes/Brouwer and it's not like they have the largest budget to do so. That means we don't have to even trade a guy like Hall or RNH.

It's more likely we get Barrie but I think HF Oil thinks he'll be easier to pry out of Colorado than not. It sounds to me like the Barrie-trade plan is a bit dependent on landing Trouba or a different top 4 D, it could drag out.

Barrie has good numbers relative to his team, so that's good, but I don't know what he'd look like on a competent defense and I do wonder how a management team in Colorado decided he's not a D answer when their D is terrible. If he asks for 6M, that's insane but he doesn't have the bargaining power as an RFA compared to Shattenkirk as a pending UFA.
But you can't extend him until July 1 and the draft is June 24-25.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
for certain this will be the case.

I'd say by and large the Oilers are ****ed in this situation and will have to go almost exclusively through FA to get a good defensemen, and then just hope and pray Klefbom and Davidson can develop into #2's and #3's. Nurse is a wildcard. This problem is going to have to be solved in house.

I'm loath to come to these boards anymore, but what can I say, I'm addicted. I really try not to, cuz there's nothing worth discussing, laughable trade proposals everywhere (not just HF Oil) and I can tell you not nearly as much is going to happen fans here are hoping and maybe predicting.

I'm feeling this way as well. Right now we're praying that Davidson wasn't a fluke and can stay healthy, Klefbom stays healthy, Sekera plays as a #3, Fayne improves, Reinhart and Nurse improve....not very encouraging

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Pysyk can be had we know.

Many here seem to like Pysyk over Bogosian Buffalo
-wise.

Although Bogosian injuries do not scare me away I think Pysyk has that composure already for his age, give him 2 more seasons of AHL seasoning.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pysyk can be had we know.

Many here seem to like Pysyk over Bogosian Buffalo
-wise.

Although Bogosian injuries do not scare me away I think Pysyk has that composure already for his age, give him 2 more seasons of AHL seasoning.

Time we do not have. Bogosian is at least a proven top4 guy. Pysyk for me is still largely unknown and he's 24 years old and haven't fully established himself as a legit NHL defenseman. I really have no interest in him at all unless he comes dirt cheap and the plan was to use him as a bottom-pairing guy.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
When it comes to comments by a GM at any time in the month of June, I never take them at face value. There's all sorts of gamesmanship going on.

No kidding. Everyone waits on "insiders" tweets like its gospel. Its all positioning

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Time we do not have. Bogosian is at least a proven top4 guy. Pysyk for me is still largely unknown and he's 24 years old and haven't fully established himself as a legit NHL defenseman. I really have no interest in him at all unless he comes dirt cheap as was planned on being used as a bottom-pairing guy.

He really only needs one season but I was saying 2 for good measures and knowing how young this team is today.

He has potential to become a #3-#5 regular on d so you can be patient. He will not cost you an arm or leg either, I do not know what you were thinking but no one is overpaying for Pysyk at this stage in his career.

He has that composure, very mature game since he was in juniors to give you a read that he will become an NHL regular.

"We don't have time, we don't have time"

We do have time. We do have time. Actually we have a bit of time.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well there goes another potential trade target.

I know some don't like Stauffer but he had Spector on his show and Stauffer was indicating that it was going to be difficult to get a dman from what he was hearing. He said lots of teams after one and not many on the market. He said he was more optimistic when the season ended. Spector agreed with him.

More lame excuses for this team to NOT get it done? Sounds bout right. The oilers have been 'trying' to do something of note for 10 years.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If any RFA D makes it to July 1 as an RFA, they are targets irregardless if GM wants to trade them

Tyson Barrie is arbitration eligible.

If Joe Sakic and company can't settle on a contract before then, unless he's willing to trade him, I can't see them risking the possibility of an offer-sheet.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He really only needs one season but I was saying 2 for good measures and knowing how young this team is today.

He has potential to become a #3-#5 regular on d so you can be patient. He will not cost you an arm or leg either, I do not know what you were thinking but no one is overpaying for Pysyk at this stage in his career.

He has that composure, very mature game since he was in juniors to give you a read that he will become an NHL regular.

"We don't have time, we don't have time"

We do have time. We do have time. Actually we have a bit of time.

And why would Buffalo give him up for pennies on the dollar?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Urgh man it's jus concerning because we need to add a top notch defender if we ever want to be relevant

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Tyson Barrie is arbitration eligible.

If Joe Sakic and company can't settle on a contract before then, unless he's willing to trade him, I can't see them risking the possibility of an offer-sheet.

I don't like the Avs chances if it goes to arbitration.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's Big News if true.

Big news as in sucky news for the Oilers then I would agree.

So lets see..... The realistic options are Vatanen? Demers? Brodin? Shattenkirk is probably unrealistic. Honestly, I don't see the Ducks handing the Oilers one of their defenders so it's likely UFA or bust. Good luck Chia :laugh:

Looks like the Oilers gotta draft their top defender (as if we didn't know this already). Just take Sergachev and be done with it. Maybe Klefbom or Nurse will grow into a top pairing guy one day.

Ugh, the Hamonic and Barrie news is a real punch to the gut.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
To keep my spirits high I will convince myself Chiarelli is working on a few huge deals involving defencemen like Subban, Carlson, Letang, etc. Let's all make ourselves feel a bit better on this Thursday afternoon. It would be cool to trade Eberle and RNH to teams who can take on salary. Free us up about 6m in extra space off those deals and then sign Stamkos + Demers + get a good D back in one of those trades. Possible, right?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Unpopular opinion as everyone is running around like sky is falling:

If Oilers add Demers or Goligoski + Vatanen or Spurgeon they will have a good D core if it remains healthy...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I still think there won't be a big trade for a D man again this year and we go into next season with the worst D in the league - again.

And people still don't want to take a dman with a high pick. Stating that we can fix our D through trades. I'll believe it when I see it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Last time Sakic was this adement about keeping a player was Ror, or statsny before him

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Unpopular opinion as everyone is running around like sky is falling:

If Oilers add Demers or Goligoski + Vatanen or Spurgeon they will have a good D core if it remains healthy...

It would be serviceable, although none of those guys approach top pairing imo. Maybe Golikoski, but he plays the wrong side. I doubt Chiarelli's ability to get two of those guys though.

Can't help but feel we're going to end up overpaying for a guy who is "NHL ready" again. Someone like Anthony DeAngelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad