Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: The Offseason is long and full of bad proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if the Oilers could look at Alec Martinez in LA. They aren't in great shape Capwise, he's got a couple years left at $4M per, maybe we could squeeze him out because of their situation.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder if the Oilers could look at Alec Martinez in LA. They aren't in great shape Capwise, he's got a couple years left at $4M per, maybe we could squeeze him out because of their situation.

I think LA would do just about anything to keep the D they have and add to them. Not much coming in the pipeline.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still think offer sheeting isn't a bad way to go.

If you give the right offer sheet there's a good chance Seth Jones or Vatanen are yours.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If any RFA D makes it to July 1 as an RFA, they are targets irregardless if GM wants to trade them

Not if the team or player files for arbitration. So really it's only the RFA's without arbitration rights that are a real threat to be offersheeted.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fair enough. Just trying not to think so "traditional" with guys who might be available, plus teams in Cap hell.

IMO, Columbus is the team to target.

Ultimatum time. Accept our Yakupov for Savard offer, which saves them a couple million on the cap, or we offer sheet Seth Jones at 7 million, which they absolutely can't afford.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I can't believe I'm doing this but I think I agree with Raab.....we should trade down and draft Sergechev.

D has become the most important position in hockey and when teams have them they are reluctant to give them up. And teams with #1's still want more D so it's a position that has lots of demand. For those that will point to the past for trades for D....well that was then. This is now. And the truth that seems to be emerging is that top D just aren't moved (unless there is a chance of losing them due to UFA).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
IMO, Columbus is the team to target.

Ultimatum time. Accept our Yakupov for Savard offer, which saves them a couple million on the cap, or we offer sheet Seth Jones at 7 million, which they absolutely can't afford.

I wouldn't let them off that easy.

Anyway you slice it there, they're going to get poached at the expansion draft one way or another. A D comes off of that blue-line pretty easily this year, I'm assuming.

I can't believe I'm doing this but I think I agree with Raab.....we should trade down and draft Sergechev.

D has become the most important position in hockey and when teams have them they are reluctant to give them up. And teams with #1's still want more D so it's a position that has lots of demand. For those that will point to the past for trades for D....well that was then. This is now. And the truth that seems to be emerging is that top D just aren't moved (unless there is a chance of losing them due to UFA).

If we move down to 7, 8 or 9, I agree as long as Brown's off the board. But it should be noted that defensemen are absolutely worthless to your team until they actually do something at the professional level. We have two guys on our roster picked in the top 10 of their respective drafts and they're still only prospects.

The Webers, the Josis, the Doughtys, the Suters, the Subbans, the Kronwalls, the Barries...they all come from different parts of the draft. It's a toss up.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wonder how Chiarelli acquired Maroon. He wasnt even listed in Friedmans 30 thoughts or speculated in an Eklund rumor. How do GMs make any trades when those players havent been discussed by insiders weeks before?

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC
If Chia can pick up Brodin for cheap, then I'd be down for reuniting the Swedish D pairing. Who knows, maybe Brodin's game will pick up once he starts playing with Klefbom again.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Heres a list of RFA D:

Krug, Barrie, Dekeyser, Orlov, Stone, Ristolainen, Lindholm, Dumba, Vatanen, Ceci, Trouba, Jones

Plenty of talent to offersheet

Wild are in a bind (Spurgeron, Brodin, Scandella)
Rangers are in a bind (McDonaugh, Klien)
Predators are in a bind (Jones, Savard)

there are 3/4 good UFA D (Goligoski, Yandle, Demers, Hamhuis)

There are 3/4 dumb GMs

Please here get to hung up on 1 D

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

I'm getting close to this point as well. Taking a D won't help us this season. But it could in a year or two. And teams just won't part with good D.

Ideally I'd prefer to trade with buffalo instead of another western team. I'd prefer Tkachuk heads out there.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder how Chiarelli acquired Maroon. He wasnt even listed in Friedmans 30 thoughts or speculated in an Eklund rumor. How do GMs make any trades when those players havent been discussed by insiders weeks before?

Telepathic communication :sarcasm:

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Eric Stephens said on Inside Sports that the Ducks and Bob Murray will be reluctant to move D to EDM as they in the same division and Murray doesn't want to setup a division rival with the exact pieces they need to ascend.

This is becoming funny. Can't wait till draft so we can find out what actually happens.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Eric Stephens said on Inside Sports that the Ducks and Bob Murray will be reluctant to move D to EDM as they in the same division and Murray doesn't want to setup a division rival with the exact pieces they need to ascend.

This is becoming funny. Can't wait till draft so we can find out what actually happens.

That's just logic talking there.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

And when they are looking down a barrel of an offersheet Ill bet theyll wish they had dealt for a NHL forward

Murray literally just sent a much needed PWF to Edmonton which is a piece they needed to ascend AND held cap space to be extra nice

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
But you can't extend him until July 1 and the draft is June 24-25.

True but it sounds like the full intention is for Doug Armstrong + Shattenkirk to work together with the teams interested to make sure he isn't sent somewhere he won't sign.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
And when they are looking down a barrel of an offersheet Ill bet theyll wish they had dealt for a NHL forward

Murray literally just sent a much needed PWF to Edmonton which is a piece they needed to ascend AND held cap space to be extra nice

Maroon is not a piece that GM's lose sleep over. Get real. Very few wingers really are that impactful.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Vatanen is eligible for arbitration which I'm guessing they'll pursue. Lindholm is not, so Im guessing he's signed prior to July 1st.

Some big names not arbitration eligible are Lindholm, Jones, Murray, Trouba, Ristolainen. Fully expect some of these guys to be locked up.prior to July 1st.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Vatanen is eligible for arbitration which I'm guessing they'll pursue. Lindholm is not, so Im guessing he's signed prior to July 1st.

Some big names not arbitration eligible are Lindholm, Jones, Murray, Trouba, Ristolainen. Fully expect some of these guys to be locked up.prior to July 1st.

Or traded.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Maroon is not a piece that GM's lose sleep over. Get real. Very few wingers really are that impactful.

And for some reason a 2nd pairing Vatanen is the piece that will put us over the top? I swear some of the people on here believe there is a conspiracy theory against Oilers or something. If Chiarelli cant pry a D away from one of these teams amid all the turmoil with expansion draft and flat cap, he should be fired immediately

People just need to realize every word out of a GMs mouth in June is complete hogwash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad