Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Corpse of the '22-23 Season Isn't Even Cold Yet But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Funny you call this team one dimensional and suggest adding Karlsson

I would want a right shot version of 2006 Chris Pronger if I could add any D-Man to this group, but unfortunately that player not only isn't available, he doesn't even exist.

Karlsson is someone I'd look at it if it means Ceci, Campbell, Yamamoto are gone the other way, basically a bunch of salary that didn't help us a whole lot last year.

Does he improve the Oilers dimensions in a traditional way? No. But is he so good that he can potentially break open games in the playoffs the Oilers might lose otherwise? Yes, probably. 5 on 5 he could make a line for example where Draisaitl doesn't have McDavid on his line but gets lots of Karlsson time much more dangerous, or drive offence and possession when guys like Foegele and Ryan are on the ice, etc. etc.

So in that sense while it's not a traditional defensive upgrade, it would be an overall team upgrade. It would be a nightmare for teams like LA and Vegas that are throwing everything they have to slow two players (McDavid, Drai) to have to now worry also about a 3rd guy who can rip apart their defence, in a 7 game series that can exhaust the other team.

But it's a risk, sure. He's older and has injuries in the past. But that's also why you would get him at a cost that a player of his talent level wouldn't otherwise be available at.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm sitting back wondering what happens with DeBrincat this summer. I suspect he'll sign an extension, but his QO is $9M and he's just not worth that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I really don't understand why people are spending their finger energy on Karlsson. You're delusional to think a team is gonna retain 6-7mil for the next 4 years.

We don't need them to retain 6-7 million, if they can retain in the range of 30% of his contract while taking Campbell and Ceci, that works.

They are going to have to retain no matter where they trade him, they can't keep him IMO because he is eventually going to get angry being there having his talent wasted on a ground zero rebuild. They didn't even win the Bedard sweepstakes, that maybe would've given him something to look forward to.

They're better off just taking whatever futures they can get and moving on.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We don't need them to retain 6-7 million, if they can retain in the range of 30% of his contract while taking Campbell and Ceci, that works.

They are going to have to retain no matter where they trade him, they can't keep him IMO because he is eventually going to get angry being there having his talent wasted on a ground zero rebuild. They didn't even win the Bedard sweepstakes, that maybe would've given him something to look forward to.

Yeah, all it takes is a year of no puck luck, injuries and less depth in SJ to sink his value again.

Even if it isn't a homerun, this offseason is likely the best the Sharks will be able to do in any deal moving Karlsson.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Unfortunately or fortunately...depending on your view...this is just fantasy.
No GM brings in a 33 year old Rover for 8 mil....the downside is just so huge...for four years...23 million plus in 3 defenders.
The player falls off, large future prospects ....Edmonton is still not a hot spot for UFAs.
IF Nurse not overpaid, if we didn't have a still learning Bouchard, if when hadnt just spent a couple of firsts for Ekholm, if we didnt have other holes to fill...but you need to fix 4 spots not one.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

He's gonna get mad? He signed there. He knew it was an aging group. He got paid lot's of money

Why are you putting words in his mouth? "He's gonna get angry" . You think he's soo daft that he realistically thinks the team is obligated to trade him and his albatross salary? Even he is grounded in more reality I'm sure knowing the deal he signed makes him virtually immovable and I highly doubt he expects anything from the team at this point

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's gonna get mad? He signed there. He knew it was an aging group. He got paid lot's of money

Why are you putting words in his mouth? "He's gonna get angry" . You think he's soo daft that he realistically thinks the team is obligated to trade him and his albatross salary? Even he is grounded in more reality I'm sure knowing the deal he signed makes him virtually immovable and I highly doubt he expects anything from the team at this point

There's no way a player of his ability is just going to sit on a bottom 5 team like that, I don't think that's happened in the history of the NHL for a long period of time. He's getting traded somewhere.

Even if you're San Jose, what exactly are you gaining by keeping him? You're rebuilding, you're better off taking even just one 1st round pick for him, that 1st round pick could end up being a good sized part of your rebuild if you can hit on it.

The throw in pick we got in the Pronger deal (Lupul, Smid) actually turned out to be far more valuable than Lupul or Smid (lol), it turned into Eberle.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wonder if the team was to get Karlsson, if Nurse would force himself to play a more responsible defensive/simple game. Or if he would still try to play the same way that he does now. More of a curiosity on my part.

I doubt the trade is happening. I dont even know if I would want it.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
RNH is the guy to trade if we are looking to fill some holes at wing/defense/goaltending. He was an absolute no show in the playoffs despite being fully healthy. We can’t afford to have a 100+ point player in the regular season flop in the postseason.

I know he was a dud in the playoffs but you still need guys to get you to the playoffs. Trading him would be like trading Ebs in 2017 all over again.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm sitting back wondering what happens with DeBrincat this summer. I suspect he'll sign an extension, but his QO is $9M and he's just not worth that.
Ottawa won't give him 9M. He will have to sign for less elsewhere.

I've been saying for 2 years now he's a 7M max player

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There's no way a player of his ability is just going to sit on a bottom 5 team like that, I don't think that's happened in the history of the NHL for a long period of time. He's getting traded somewhere.

Even if you're San Jose, what exactly are you gaining by keeping him? You're rebuilding, you're better off taking even just one 1st round pick for him, that 1st round pick could end up being a good sized part of your rebuild if you can hit on it.

The throw in pick we got in the Pronger deal (Lupul, Smid) actually turned out to be far more valuable than Lupul or Smid (lol), it turned into Eberle.
If he's going to want out that bad then he can terminate his contract.

Shane O'Brien on Missin Curfew thinks we should go hard after Freddie Anderson....
I don't see how we add another goalie unless they are trading Skinner for an upgrade.

Campbell and his NTC are going to be beyond tough to move. Even if you waive him no one is picking him up. He's not going to want to go from a contender to a bottom feeder and no other decent team is really going to look at him.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I know he was a dud in the playoffs but you still need guys to get you to the playoffs. Trading him would be like trading Ebs in 2017 all over again.
Also, Woodcroft's deployment was bad. Nuge should be a two-way playoff C, not a winger charged to win the puck on the wall under pressure and fight through coverage to get to the net. That's putting Nuge in a position to fail, he ain't that player.

Hope Woodcroft learned this season that you can't just do what you did all season and expect to succeed at the next level. Everyone watches your video.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Also, Woodcroft's deployment was bad. Nuge should be a two-way playoff C, not a winger charged to win the puck on the wall under pressure and fight through coverage to get to the net. That's putting Nuge in a position to fail, he ain't that player.

Hope Woodcroft learned this season that you can't just do what you did all season and expect to succeed at the next level. Everyone watches your video.

Nuge is more efficient suited as a winger

Reactions: ujju2

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Tampa was a big team ... sorry, but I disagree. Heavy hockey wins in the playoffs. We'll have to agree to disagree
... all the while watching Florida vs Vegas in the finals.

Edit: And we're both ignoring the fact Vegas finished 1st in the West ... doesn't seem very fraudulent.
the notion that only heavy hockey wins cups has been disproven on so many occasions now, its a myth. you think even Avs last year were a big team?

we are given a Ferrari V12 engine in McDrai and you want to put that engine in a Ford F350 chassis and not a supercar. make it make sense

we can agree to disagree about Vegas though, that team is nothing special in my eyes and we should have slapped them silly. Their window closes this year

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just wait until the trade deadline for Karlsson. San Jose will be begging other teams to take him and cover 50% of his cap hit after he reverts back to his career average of around 60 points.

the notion that only heavy hockey wins cups has been disproven on so many occasions now, its a myth. you think even Avs last year were a big team?

we are given a Ferrari V12 engine in McDrai and you want to put that engine in a Ford F350 chassis and not a supercar. make it make sense

we can agree to disagree about Vegas though, that team is nothing special in my eyes and we should have slapped them silly. Their window closes this year
I think you let McDrais and the top 6 be Ferraris but you build a heavy, fast bottom six that is excellent defensively. In our loss to Vegas the bottom six was quite good, our top six was completely shutdown 5x5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest