Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Corpse of the '22-23 Season Isn't Even Cold Yet But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Nurse for Karlsson, we add 2 first rounders and San Jose doesn't have to retain anything..

So now we have no picks for two years, lose 2M in cap space, trade a huge hole at RH D for a huge hole at LH D, take on a 33-year-old with a long history of injuries for a super durable prime aged defenseman?

Just a bad idea in every regard.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
So now we have no picks for two years, lose 2M in cap space, trade a huge hole at RH D for a huge hole at LH D, take on a 33-year-old with a long history of injuries for a super durable prime aged defenseman?

Just a bad idea in every regard.
My proposal is better than overpaying Severson and watching Nurse make the same mistakes on his side instead of Ceci. Trying to find a Dman to cover for him is pointless, he will make bonehead play like he did at the end of game 4 and cost us.

Reactions: Tom Brady

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Also, Woodcroft's deployment was bad. Nuge should be a two-way playoff C, not a winger charged to win the puck on the wall under pressure and fight through coverage to get to the net. That's putting Nuge in a position to fail, he ain't that player.

Hope Woodcroft learned this season that you can't just do what you did all season and expect to succeed at the next level. Everyone watches your video.
Nuge hasn’t been a centre for awhile. Not big or strong enough to line up in the middle in the west. He also gets killed at 5v5 playing centre.

Reactions: McDrai

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Of course we blew our goaltending wad the year there were questionable options in net.
It's not really like they had much of a choice. They just went to the conference finals on the back of a crippled goaltender and were outclassed when they couldn't outscore his inability to stop the pucks against the Aves, they had to make a move.

It sucks, but it happens sometimes.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Not in the postseason. Pretty obvious in both our elimination series the last two years and against Winnipeg, throwing everything at rush offense isn't going to get us a cup.
I highly doubt you would have seen any different results if he was playing C. The magic beans spread about him being exceptional defensively is completely overblown

He's a better and more effective player at wing, plain and simple.

His play in the playoffs was abysmal and would have been no matter where he played

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Andersen has a groin made out of tissue paper.

Gibson, see Andersen above.

Hellebyuck is the only one that stays consistently healthy and rarely misses any time due to injury.

Reactions: ujju2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Doesn’t all of this just reinforce that pushing for Karlsson, like you seem to want to do, is a horrible idea? He is the definition of river boat gambler.

I don't think some people realize Karlsson was on the ice for 32 more goals against at even strength than any other player in the league last season.

Reactions: Spawn

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's not really like they had much of a choice. They just went to the conference finals on the back of a crippled goaltender and were outclassed when they couldn't outscore his inability to stop the pucks against the Aves, they had to make a move.

It sucks, but it happens sometimes.

They most certainly had a choice in giving Campbell the contract they did.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
They most certainly had a choice in giving Campbell the contract they did.
The choice I was referring to was whether they addressed the goaltending situation last year or waited for better options. They didn't have one, the position had to be addressed no matter what.

Investing in Campbell was a mistake of course, a move a lot of people were worried about even before he was officially signed.

A Campbell-Gibson swap would make my offseason

Gibson has rough stats but that's buy low if I ever saw it. He can't carry a team that bad.
He set a record for most shots against in a season, Anaheim was legendarily bad defensively last year.

Have to wonder if Gibson told the Ducks he wanted out to another NHL team in a trade, or wanted them to ship him out to a mental hospital to recover from the post traumatic stress of the season he just went through.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't think some people realize Karlsson was on the ice for 32 more goals against at even strength than any other player in the league last season.
I'm not advocating for Karlsson but some context matters.

His team was like 4th worst in goal share at -87 and his 101 points were on a team goal total of 234 (on-ice for 43% of team's goals scored). Add on his ice-time average, 25:36 minutes per game (4 minutes more than next d-man and just about 6 minutes more than the highest forward toi). San Jose was a one man band especially after pitching their top forward at the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Gibson is willing to waive to come here, I would consider it, but I suspect the Kings make a move there.

They can send Cal Peterson the other way to balance salary ... how we gave Campbell so much term for a guy who had only be a starter for one year and zero playoff round wins is definitely thinking about it now fairly crazy. Who were we even bidding against?

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Cant shake this feeling we'll go into next season with less forward depth and Nurse Ceci as a top pair....

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Cant shake this feeling we'll go into next season with less forward depth and Nurse Ceci as a top pair....
So maybe they trade Yamo and something to SJ for Steven Lorentz and eutu for the farm.
They sign a UFA vet for 3rd pair RD... Perhaps a vet like I. Cole or L. Schenn or T. Stecher.
They leave the Ceci upgrade till after Xmas.
If they do anything at 2Rw they leave it till close to the deadline ... but having seen Holland he will look at all options including prospects that are close first...expect Bourgault with an extended cup about the beginning of January.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The only way that adding Karlsson makes sense is if Nurse accepts the role of being a defense first, 2nd and 3rd player on that pairing. His ES offense would be a big help to our team and he'd allow us to have an elite PP point man on both units.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Make Hellebuyck the number 1 priority. Not everyday a goalie like this in his prime is available to add to a team with 2 generational forwards. You want to win some cups. You add Hellebuyck. Simple as that.

Make defense the number 2 priority

Number 3, Get rid of playoff floaters and bring in some grit and cup experience.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
My proposal is better than overpaying Severson and watching Nurse make the same mistakes on his side instead of Ceci. Trying to find a Dman to cover for him is pointless, he will make bonehead play like he did at the end of game 4 and cost us.

Though I think you misrepresent Nurse's problems, the issue is even if we take your perspective of him as the truth, your proposal is still bad from every direction.

It's cap negative by a lot. It's asset negative by a lot (Karlsson won't fetch two firsts without retention from anywhere). It's risky as hell, considering Karlsson's age and injury history. It doesn't solve the issue of the missing top-4 defenseman, it just shifts it to the left side. It sets Bouchard up for failure by jacking his PP time just as they're set to pay him 5 per on a bridge. Karlsson isn't even immune from boneheaded mistakes himself.

I don't think "going into the season" is a big problem. They've made the playoffs in 4 straight seasons, in home-ice advantage nonetheless. They'll be a better team than they were in 3.5 of those years based on just what's under contract.

The issue is what do they go into the playoffs with and for the first time since Ken Holland was hired, we're out of LTIR. This is the first offseason in years I'm not filled with FOMO because it clearly makes sense to save big-ticket trade assets for the deadline.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wonder if the team was to get Karlsson, if Nurse would force himself to play a more responsible defensive/simple game. Or if he would still try to play the same way that he does now. More of a curiosity on my part.

I doubt the trade is happening. I dont even know if I would want it.

Nurse has simplified his game when he played with both Barrie and Bear, two guys that liked to lead the breakout. It's when he gets with guys like Ceci or Larsson, that he gets it into his head that he needs to do everything himself.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Gibson traded for Hellebuyck??

Mycket guess

Anaheim isnt acquiring a soon to be UFA. Also Hellebuyck wants to win.

I think Gibson makes to most sense in Pittsburgh. Hes from there and it's an American team that needs a starter with Jarry unlikely to sign.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The choice I was referring to was whether they addressed the goaltending situation last year or waited for better options. They didn't have one, the position had to be addressed no matter what.

Investing in Campbell was a mistake of course, a move a lot of people were worried about even before he was officially signed.

He set a record for most shots against in a season, Anaheim was legendarily bad defensively last year.

Have to wonder if Gibson told the Ducks he wanted out to another NHL team in a trade, or wanted them to ship him out to a mental hospital to recover from the post traumatic stress of the season he just went through.

I would feel the same about the bolded if I had to play for SWAAAARM CHOP WOOD CARRY WATER supreme overlord in Dallas 'no donuts allowed' Eakins.

Reactions: Tarus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad